2010 Canadian Grand Prix

Well done Hamilton. Different tyres for the front row as well should make it interesting.

what a hectic lap from hamilton.

nail baiting stuff, this should make tomorrow's race interesting.

WTF is wrong with you, Heiko Wa?er? Droning on and on and on about the "german perspective" on the race while completely ignoring replays of a Red Bull (Webber, i think) slightly touching the wall? You can't be serious!

LOL when Hamilton is pushing his car, he REALLY was "PUSHING" his car.

What a frikkin awesome session! I loved every minute of it.

Hamilton gave a sick lap but I think he was out there for 3 laps in a row which would make his tyres completely shot... Hopefully he can hold the first place tomorrow cause I'm so sick of red bull running in the front.

Alonso also looked great today and the FIs were really quick.

On the other hand Button looked way off Hamilton's pace and it was same with Massa and Alonso.

Love this track and can't wait for tomorrow's race!

Ham came out, did 2 flying laps then another half of the lap so tires shouldn't be too bad.

For the first time I actually enjoyed looking at Hamilton's showing off. No seriously, that thing he did pushing the car was awesome!

Red Bulls for the win tomorrow and great job from Fernando.

amazing Quali session, cant wait for the race tomorrow. really missed Canada being on the calendar.

loved Lewis sat on the edge of the car and standing out of it, shame that drivers cant really do things like that when they win races like they used to in the past.

WTF is wrong with you, Heiko Wa?er? Droning on and on and on about the "german perspective" on the race while completely ignoring replays of a Red Bull (Webber, i think) slightly touching the wall? You can't be serious!

All I could hear at the end of Q3 was Deutsche, Deutsche, Mercedes, Deutcshe. Even from what little german I understand, it was extremly annoying.

I need to see more from Ferrari. Massa timed his last lap very badly, and I get the feeling Alonso took the car as far as it could go. Update URGENT!!

RTL believes their viewers are stupid, old and drunk people who buy more beer if the germans are winning. Unfortunately they might be right.

RTL believes their viewers are stupid, old and drunk people who buy more beer if the germans are winning. Unfortunately they might be right.

I'm quite happy that i'll spend the race on the Autobahn back home tomorrow and will simply watch the BBC coverage on iPlayer later. All i got to do is avoid news on the radio... ;)

So that's what all that showboating/pushing was all about.
Lewis Hamilton was fined and reprimanded by the Canadian Grand Prix stewards following qualifying for the Montreal event.

Right after securing pole position, Hamilton was instructed by his McLaren team to stop the car on track as he was nearly out of fuel and some of it was still needed for the sample for the post-qualifying inspection.

Hamilton stopped his engine but kept his car moving while he seated on top of it as he celebrated his first pole of the year. He then got out of the car and started pushing it.

The stewards deemed Hamilton had exceeded the maximum time set to return to the pits after the end of qualifying, and the Briton was fined USD10,000 and given a reprimand.

Oh he the got the 'not a Ferrari' fine again.

On the other hand, if he had driven to the pits, there would not have be enough fuel left for a FIA analysis, invalidating his Q3 time - i call this a win.

One chief engineer from a rival team told SPEED.com: "It's definitely illegal. They took advantage by cheating. Otherwise next time we'll all put one less lap in the cars."

From http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-will-hamilton-get-penalty-for-stopping/

His car was lighter for the final lap of qualifying and therefore physically capable of going faster than everybody that managed to run their car within the specification of the rules. His final hot lap should be invalid IMO; getting away with a mere fine was very favorable to Hamilton, yet again.

How many teams out there are now weighing the cost of $10k to start on the pole?:rolleyes:

The question mark is over the fact that drivers are given a lap time within which they have to return to the pits during qualifying, a legacy of the fuel-saving days of several seasons ago.

The FIA view is that if a driver suffers a genuine problem and has to stop, it would be treated as force majeure, and that does not apply in this case.

Furthermore, in the two sectors that Hamilton completed, he was well over the prescribed 30 percent limit. His first sector was 33s (as opposed to around 21s on a normal quick lap), and the middle sector was 55s (compared with 24s). In other words, he would not have made the time even if he had finished the lap.

Indeed. Also he could have been stripped of pole instead! :blink:

I take back my prediction of Schumi getting on the podium..actually wait, I never said it, I never ever said it, K? :p Merc looks pathetic here (and MS looks plain stupid thb. I really think he should've stayed retired!:?)

Last edited:
What Hamilton did was entertaining and fun, obviously some kind of punishment was due...It seems that's how F1 works these days.