2010 Chinese Grand Prix

Regarding the jumping start thing. Is it considered a jumping start if the car has started moving before the red lights were off or if it had crossed the white line before the lights were off?

f101.jpg

Hamilton jumped Vettel the exact same way into the pits. Does that make him just as awesome?

Not really :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Regarding the jumping start thing. Is it considered a jumping start if the car has started moving before the red lights were off or if it had crossed the white line before the lights were off?
The rules don't say. All I could find was the following:

Either of the penalties under Articles 16.3a) [drive-through] or b) [10-sec-stop] will be imposed for a false start judged using an FIA supplied transponder which must be fitted to the car as specified.

... and ...

The stewards may use any video or electronic means to assist them in reaching a decision. The stewards may overrule judges of fact. A breach of the provisions of the Code or these Sporting Regulations relating to the starting procedure, may result in the exclusion of the car and driver concerned from the Event.

Last edited:
Brundle talked to one of the guys responsible for freight during the gridwalk and apparently FOM needs 6x 747's to transport all their kit. That's obviously no personel included.
Ah, thanks for that.

I guessed they would have chartered planes but six 747Fs is around six hundred tonnes.

That?s rock ?n? roll. :cool:

What a cracking race!
Why is it that everyone finds something to complain about whether it's a great race or a poor race.

Is there any footage of Alonso's start? It still isn't clear to me..I really think he was on the ragged edge of legal..

[video=youtube;P7FjbbxJG-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FjbbxJG-U[/video]

There's an uber-slow-mo at the end, you can clearly see the car move before the lights go out.

I am frikken tired of McLaren and specially Hamilton getting away with shit... ...I know most of you are brits and won't agree but don't care.

:lol: Vent that frustration, dooooo itttt!

Hamilton and Vettel both escape penalties

:thumbsup: It's nice to have drivers on the stewards panels!

So what about Timo being left up on the jacks for the warm up lap!

I know one particular individual who is very pissed off about that :lol:.

There only was a reprimand because it wasn't an unsafe release by McLaren. Both drivers were released nearly at the same time, Vettel just got much better traction.

Accusing me of being biased is a bit hypocritical of you when you're obviously and blatantly defending Hamilton when he DID deserve a penalty god damn it. If it wasnt for the release, then it was for speeding like he did, almost losing it, and then racing side by side when he knew he had to yield. The word was that Hamilton was on "thin ice" cos of the Petrov incident last race and here he goes doing what the hell he wants again and getting away with another "reprimand".
Yes you're right, I dont like Hamilton, and it's nothing to do with his driving style, or his nationality, or team, or anything. I dislike him cos he's been treated preferentially all along. Again I remind you of that one very wet race where he spun off on the same corner that some other 4 cars had gone off, and the crane picked him up and placed him back on the track.

Last edited:
Accusing me of being biased is a bit hypocritical of you when you're obviously and blatantly defending Hamilton when he DID deserve a penalty god damn it. If it wasnt for the release, then it was for speeding like he did, almost losing it, and then racing side by side when he knew he had to yield. The word was that Hamilton was on "thin ice" cos of the Petrov incident last race and here he goes doing what the hell he wants again and getting away with another "reprimand".
Yes you're right, I dont like Hamilton, and it's nothing to do with his driving style, or his nationality, or team, or anything. I dislike him cos he's been treated preferentially all along. Again I remind you of that one very wet race where he spun off on the same corner that some other 4 cars had gone off, and the crane picked him up and placed him back on the track.

Not sure if someone accusing you biased is a bit hypocritical...just base on your last post alone, you said "treated preferentially all along" and the only place I think that is true is the example you have mentioned. Maybe you can come up with a few borderline examples, but that's how I feel.
Back to the real subject. Unfortunately the youtube video there does not show the crucial moment...the moment where both cars are released. There is no way for lollipop man to know Vettel is going to set of. Also Hamilton did not speed in the pitlane--otherwise sensors would have known. Hamilton ended up beside Vettel because he had too much wheelspin...never heard of anyone punished for having too much wheel spin and being slow. What's wrong with "racing side by side"? Which rule forbid you to do that? Plus we have seen things like that.
Anyway, I believe Alexander Wurz knows better than you and me.

3. How many crashes will there be?
2 crashes, 3 retirements due to them. A little more wheel banging and spinning out.

^ :p

It's besides the point that all three of the crash retirements were from the first crash, and the second one only resulted in a wing change, BUT STILL! Come to me if you want to predict chaos :p

I thought it was a cracking race.

Alonso clearly jumped the start and thus deservedly got a drive through as per the rules.

Hamilton and Vettel was rather interesting. I thought it was fair game though. As has been pointed out, the pit lane entrance is still part of the race track and they are all allowed to overtake. The release, while questionable, I think was still fair game. When the lolly-pop man release Hamilton, Vettel would have been pretty much still in his box, and I believe that had Hamilton not have got such bad traction out of the box, would have remained in front. But, Vettel pulling across into Hamilton I thought was a bit... dodgy. What if there was another team in the garage with men around the car? Pretty unsafe in my opinion. But I think the stewards got that right, and at the end of the day great drive from Hamilton.

Also, when did Ferrari bring back the traffic lights in the pits? I was amazed when I saw it.

Still, overall, great race!

In that youtube video where he jumped the start above, the first angle is hard to tell because he only started moving out of the way of Vettel after the red-right went off. And the second angle, it's hard to tell when the lights when off because we can't see the lights.

What did Alonso have to say about it?

In that youtube video where he jumped the start above, the first angle is hard to tell because he only started moving out of the way of Vettel after the red-right went off. And the second angle, it's hard to tell when the lights when off because we can't see the lights.

What did Alonso have to say about it?

He's not nearly making the fuss people here are. He said his reactions screwed up and he's disapointed because of it. It was clearly a jump start, the evidence is right there in the video. It's not ambiguous like the Hamilton/Vettel thing.

Well, I understand where he's coming at. That happens to be sometimes. You wait for the countdown or whatever and your muscle just suddenly spasms because of nervousness or something.

[video=youtube;P7FjbbxJG-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FjbbxJG-U[/video]

There's an uber-slow-mo at the end, you can clearly see the car move before the lights go out.

Only the on board slow mo finally convinced me it was a jumped start, the wheels are clearly moving with the red lights still on.

Accusing me of being biased is a bit hypocritical of you when you're obviously and blatantly defending Hamilton when he DID deserve a penalty god damn it.
He would have been given one if he had deserved it. After all, the stewards are not exactly hesitant to do that, are they?

If it wasnt for the release, then it was for speeding like he did, almost losing it, and then racing side by side when he knew he had to yield. The word was that Hamilton was on "thin ice" cos of the Petrov incident last race and here he goes doing what the hell he wants again and getting away with another "reprimand".
There's no rule that says you mustn't drive side by side in the pit lane. Also, Hamilton didn't exceed the speed limit, and there constantly are drivers who give it the berries when pulling out and slide around while doing so.
For sure, what Hamilton did was dangerous as well as unnecessary, but so was Vettel's pushing. Maybe Hamilton would have got a penalty if Vettel wouldn't have responded that way, who knows?

There is a rule that when a car which has landed in the gravel is still driveable (no major damage, engine still running), and it is quicker to put it back on the track than to move it away, the track attendants are allowed to do the former. The idea is to choose the option which gets rid of the danger as quickly as possible. They did the same with Michael Schumacher who was stranded in his Ferrari a few years ago.

Also, did you forget the Hamilton-Massa-Incident in Spa 2008? They were fighting for position, Massa in front. Hamilton missed a braking point and cut a chicane, let Massa pass again (acording to the rules) and immediately overtook him again. There was no rule which explicitly forbid that. McLaren tried to contact the Stewards to ask whether that maneuver was okay, but they never got an answer. After the race, Hamilton was punished for "not using the track at all times during the race" (which is a rule, but one that's broken constantly by many drivers) and effectively stripped of his win.

I understand that his "spirited" driving style is somewhat troublemaking at times, but to me it looks like since there always is an experienced racing driver with the Stewards, all decisions are met fairly. Same goes for this race.

Alonsos jump start was a tough call, but he did show superhuman reaction and thus was punished with the milder of two options. The problem is that there are no more options for jump starts. The rules clearly say that a jump start has to be punished with a drive-through-penalty or a 10-second-stop-penalty. What Hamilton and Vettel did was reckless and dangerous, but neither explicitly forbidden, nor linked to specific punishments. Therefore, they were let off with a warning.

Last edited:
Screw the penalties and what not, if the pit crew along the pit lane after the McLaren's got hit, it will be pretty nasty. Personally both should be awarded a drive through, but they got a slap on the wrist.

Screw the penalties and what not, if the pit crew along the pit lane after the McLaren's got hit, it will be pretty nasty. Personally both should be awarded a drive through, but they got a slap on the wrist.

I agree. If there had been another pit crew awaiting down the lane, at that time, I think the situation and the punishments would have been much different for both drivers.