2010 Endurance Racing Thread (Le Mans, LMS, AmLMS, AsLMS, whatever)

Personally I'm expecting to see a 458 GT2 on the racetracks of the world by Sebring 2011.

That would be epic if it comes true. Also, I haven't been following this stuff since I lost access to SpeedTV. Anyone have any updates as to whether Acura is going to Le Mans? The LMP1 field was pretty boring before, but if we have Peugeot, Audi, Aston Martin and Acura then it'll be pretty interesting to watch.

The thing with Acura and LeMans is I don't know if Honda will let them bring it there, at least as an Acura branded machine. ALMS makes sense as Acura is huge over here, and AsLMS would make sense as Honda has introduced them in China and Japan will get them in the near future, but racing them in Europe would make very little sense, even if it's LeMans. If they get the OK, I see no reason why Highcroft would not bring it over.

And also Highcroft is moving to LMP2 next year, so if they come to Le Mans they might be fighting whoever runs a Porsche RS Spyder, the closed P2 Lola-Judds, and if the fuel issues are solved, RML's Lola-Mazda.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80610

ORECA to run customer Peugeot

By Steven English Thursday, December 17th 2009, 14:36 GMT

ORECA will run a 2010-spec customer Peugeot 908 in the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Le Mans Series next season.

The French manufacturer has selected Hugues de Chaunac's team, which already runs a pair of Courage-ORECAs in the LMS and at Le Mans, for its second customer outing - following the Pescarolo team's entry of a single 908 at Le Mans this year.

"ORECA and Hugues have a proven winning record in several motorsport disciplines over the years," said Peugeot Sport director Olivier Quesnel. "We have consequently chosen this team which we believe is the best qualified to defend Peugeot's colours.

"Team ORECA Matmut will run a 908 HDi FAP in the 2010 Le Mans Series, as well as the 2010 Le Mans 24 Hours, where its support will be invaluable.

"I am convinced that our collaboration will be a fruitful one, and that there is every chance it can be extended in the future with the supply of Peugeot engines in 2011."

Is anyone interested in doing a quick photochop to see how the 908 would look like in the Oreca livery? It's probably going to be something pretty stunning...

Also, interesting development in the last line. Maybe Hugues de Chaunac is thinking about slotting a Peugeot diesel lump into one of his open cars.

I am convinced that our collaboration will be a fruitful one

Well for their sake I hope it doesn't bear the same fruit as their collaboration with Pescarolo.

^ Well it bore fruit richly... up until hour 14 or something like that. And I don't think we, the general public, know yet what actually caused that mammoth crash for Benoit Treluyer there.

Last edited:
^ They're doing Le Mans, they're probably not doing Sebring, and they're racing in the Intercontinental Cup. (The factory team)

Meanwhile, the Kolles team which is running the old R10s is doing Le Mans, the Intercontinental Cup AND the LMS.

Bad news. According to Ten-Tenths.com's forum, which quotes Autosport magazine, Gigawave Motorsport (the team which was due to run the Nissan GT-R GT1 works cars) has closed its doors.

That sucks royally! I wonder if anyone else will pick up the car?

^ Yes, a Swiss team has been announced as the second team a few months ago and I suspect that they're now elevated to factory team status, and it's also extremely likely now that Nissan is on the hunt for a second team.

^ Yes, a Swiss team has been announced as the second team a few months ago and I suspect that they're now elevated to factory team status, and it's also extremely likely now that Nissan is on the hunt for a second team.

Are any other teams actively looking for a car or are pissed off with their current arrangement? I can't think of any.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/02/corvette-racing-boss-doug-fehan-confirms-new-5-5l-v8-for-sebring/

Corvette Racing boss Doug Fehan confirms new 5.5L V8 for Sebring debut

Back in August when General Motors introduced the all-new GT2 class Corvette C6.R, it ran downsized 6.0-liter version of the 7.0-liter V8 from the long-dominant GT1 car. At the launch, Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan told us the 6.0-liter was just an interim engine. With revised GT rules on tap for 2010, GM was already planning a brand-new engine for its race Vette.

Unlike the 6.0/7.0, which is a ground-up race engine that only shares basic architectural dimensions with the production small block, the 2010 C6.R's V8 is a new 5.5-liter unit that will indeed be derived from the production engine found in roadgoing Corvettes. In fact, the 5.5-liter race engine will be built at GM's Performance Build Center alongside ZR1 and Z06 V8s.

Fehan has confirmed that the 5.5 is running on the dyno and will make its race debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. We don't have any additional details on the new engine yet, although we were told earlier that it is based on the next-generation production small-block, which we expect to see in the Corvette soon

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80728

Mansell targets Le Mans LMP1 entry

By Steven English Monday, January 4th 2010, 10:55 GMT

Nigel Mansell is targeting a drive in this year's Le Mans 24 Hours after buying into British sportscar team Beechdean Motorsport.

The 1992 Formula 1 world champion has formed Beechdean Mansell Motorsport to run a factory-backed Ginetta-Zytek Z09R in the LMP1 class of the Le Mans Series this year, and is hoping to receive an entry for the 24 Hours.

Mansell's two sons, Leo and Greg, will share the car during the season with Nigel joining for selected races.

"I'm very happy to announce this partnership between myself and Beechdean," said Mansell. "The team comes fresh to the LMS with an impeccable pedigree and full support from Zytek.

"I'm very excited about 2010 and the prospect of racing with both by sons for the first time. I can confirm that I will be racing with Leo and Greg during the season and, if we receive an entry, we will also be racing at Le Mans."

Mansell shared a Ginetta-Zytek LMP1 with Greg in the LMS round at Silverstone last year. Greg also competed in Formula Renault 3.5, while Leo raced a Team Modena Ferrari F430 GT in the LMS and at Le Mans.

Beechdean Motorsport has raced in British GT since 2007, when it ran a Ferrari 360. It switched to and Aston Martin Vantage N24 for 2008 and has since become a partner team to Aston Martin Racing. It plans to run two Vantages in the FIA GT2 championship this year along with its LMP1 campaign.

"It has been an ambition of mine to race a Le Mans prototype ever since we started racing GTs," said Beechdean boss Andrew Howard. "It's a dream come true for our young team to enter into a partnership with one of the sport's most famous names.

"Nigel brings a wealth of knowledge and experience, and Leo and Greg are already established as accomplished race drivers in their own right.

"We begin testing early in the new year and 2010 promises to be an exciting and dynamic year. We can't wait to get started."

:D:D:D

It would be excellent to see this trio at Le Mans this year. Next month we'll find out, because that's when we find out the official entry list and reserve list.

Last edited:
Artistic rendition of the livery that might be run by the Signature-Plus team next year; they're running a private Lola-Aston Martin in 2009-spec.

Fantaisie_10.jpg

Also, in other news, Olivier Panis and Nicolas Lapierre are the expected drivers in the Peugeot 908 run in the LMS by ORECA (source: Ten-Tenths.com forum), and Drayson Racing is hoping to enter Le Mans this year with the LMP1 Lola-Judd coupe that they began running at Petit Le Mans (source: Paul Drayson via Twitter... particularly a reply to me).

Also, Jean-Christophe Bouillon is joining the team formerly known as Speedy Racing Team Sebah (now REBELLION Racing, running two Lola-Judd coupes). Unfortunately, this puts the future of Pescarolo Sport in even more serious doubt.

Last edited: