2010 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps

Nicely done, Lewis! :clap:
Webber did very well to get up to 2nd after that appalling start (with the help of some carnage - but I'll take it thankyouvermuch! :lol:)
Gutted for Jenson and Rubens. :-(
If it was physically possible to hug something the size of a race circuit from the other side of the world I bloody would. Fuck Tilkedromes, Long Live Spa!

Oh well, now that the excitement is over I can go to bed....:yawn: :wave:

I am so relieved.

Nice win by Lewis. Would've preferred to see Button instead though, but he was wtf-ed by Vettel. Pansy drive by Alonso.

Would someone be so kind to give me a quick summary of events? I'm fresh back from Corfu, only caught last few laps.

Great for Lewis, though he very nearly lost it at the end there. God knows what Vettel was thinking today, but Kobayashi and Petrov had truly sublime comebacks after truly dreadful quali sessions. Force Indias were rapid as, and Trulli's spin at the end was fucking terrifying!

Argh!@!!(*^&@$@^&$*&@$&@87

I missed this one as well, my stupid friend decided to have a baby exactly 8 days ago so I was forced to go to a brit (circumcision party) :(

I would kill for a way to download this race :/

Spa, like always, provided a great race.

Rubens and Vettel like destruction derby or something. It was amazing that Alonso's Ferrari was able to continue the race. Very good race by Hamilton, even after that mistake he calmly recovered. I was sad after that Kubica's pit lane mistake but nevertheless 3rd isn't bad. And also nice drives by Petrov, Schumi and Kobayashi.

Argh!@!!(*^&@$@^&$*&@$&@87

I missed this one as well, my stupid friend decided to have a baby exactly 8 days ago so I was forced to go to a brit (circumcision party) :(

I would kill for a way to download this race :/

If you mangle 100 babies' genitals you get one free download pass for an F1 video. Get busy!

Vettel apologises for taking Button out

Sebastian Vettel took full responsibility for his collision with Jenson Button in the Belgian Grand Prix, and apologised for taking the world champion out of the race.

Red Bull driver Vettel was trying to overtake Button into the final chicane on lap 16 at Spa when he lost control and slewed into the side of the McLaren. While Vettel was able to continue with a new front wing, Button's car suffered terminal damage and was out.

"First of all, I'm sorry," Vettel told television reporters. "Obviously it was not my intention to destroy his race or mine.

"I was close, I was faster than him. The moment Robert [Kubica] got close behind I knew that he could pass us on the straight because we are not the fastest on the straight. I was very close a couple of times, unfortunately never really close enough.

"I tried to out-brake him on the outside. When I changed from the inside to the outside, I lost the car under braking on the bump and then I then I couldn't really control it anymore and unfortunately crashed into him."

Vettel's race went from bad to worse as he received a drivethrough penalty for the Button incident, sustained a puncture in a later brush with Tonio Liuzzi's Force India and chose the wrong tyres in the final rain shower. Having made five pitstops in the end, he could only finish 15th.
Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86239

Well done to Lewis, Mark & Robert for the podium finishes. :thumbup:

Spa produces another exciting, incident filled race full of crazy weather changing by the minute. Even Petrov scored some points, even after his ?unfortunate? qualy session yesterday.

With Alonso, Button and Vettel failing to score any points, things are looking quite promising for Mark and Lewis, though still a long way to go yet, ?for sure?.

Christian Horner needs to sit ?the boy? down and have a word, either that or one of the other drivers needs to bitch slap him in public and get him to calm tha fook down.

Bummer for Rubens, would have been more fun if he?d have punted into Michael instead of Alonso. :lol:

Great race, good save by Webber. Almost could have been a (totally unexpected) win if Hamilton hadn't been able to save it from the barrier.

As for Vettel: he's a great driver as evidenced by his qualifying skills, but he's a rubbish racer.

whatever Lewis...whatever

After a little reflection: A mixed race. At the beginning another instance of FIA ruining the fun with a totally unnecessary Safety Car phase, later than another instance of Vettel being too impatient (and a shame for Button), and much later then another instance of Hamilton not crashing. That were the main things I didn't like, but overall, a nice race to watch. Tame for Spa standards, but still better than most other races. Oh, also: :( @ Rubens crashing out in his 300th race.

Now, fingers crossed for Webber for the rest of the season. And watch out for Vettel inventing additional ways of ruining his own race.

If you mangle 100 babies' genitals you get one free download pass for an F1 video. Get busy!

I'm glad to report I got it and no babies' genitals have been harmed thanks to a certain forum member round here :)

Lewis drove a phenomenal race, one small mistake but it didn't matter and that's the time to make mistakes. I have to say I'm absolutely gutted for Button, he gave it a great start, had the front wing damage but managed to keep it on the track and ahead of everyone else, then Vettel went berserk and sent it all down to hell, I do think it was a racing incident and not as terrible as some described it but it's still his fault Button DNFed :(

Other than that it was a pretty calm race for one in Spa and with changing weather conditions...I somehow expected more mayhem but the long dry stint was rather...Calm.

Still a great race, and I still think Spa is the best circuit on the calender.

Would someone be so kind to give me a quick summary of events? I'm fresh back from Corfu, only caught last few laps.

Certainly good sire

Start: Webber launched like a grandma and everyone overtook him, by the first corner he was down to 6th or thereabouts. The first lap was marked by the entire half of the pack missing the breaking point (or more specifically, not taking the wet track into account) into the chicanes. Alonso was further back and saw everyone skidding so he braked earlier and did the corner correctly. He was all set to go from 10th to the top 5, when Barrichello came barrelling down the circuit in a very newbie way for his 300th Grand Prix, missing the corner too and plowing into Mr Eyebrows' Ferrari, spinning him around but not doing much damage. Barrichello out. Alonso pitted for inters, but the track dried out and this gamble didn't pay off. He pitted later on again for slicks.

Kubica was up to 2nd at one point now, but Button and Vettel overtook him nicely and he was down to 4th while Jensen and Seb fought for 2nd. Hamilton in the meantime sped away from the battling cars because he knew there could be showers later on and if he made a mistake he'd have that safety buffer (and this actually paid off when in the later rain he ran wide and took a short trip through the gravel). In the meantime, both Schumacher and Petrov were overtaking the whole world.

Then the accident everyone will remember this GP for... the damn fool Vettel (read this in James May voice) was following Button way too close for his aero to work properly, and at then spun ? la Istambul, hitting the McLaren spectacularly with his nose cone, puncturing his side pod and the radiator in an unbelievable way, white vapour steaming out. Vettel pitted for a new nose, Button out. Kubica went back to 2nd with this, led by Hamilton and followed by Webber. Massa was sitting on 4th, Alonso was trying to make his way up the pack of slower cars overtaking furiously and with reckless success. The race sort of calmed down with some minor chatter between pilots and engineers about if and when rain would come back.

Then Vettel managed to puncture his rear tire and destroy the Force India's front wing, battling with Liuzzi for some points. At this point I was wishing Vettel would just retire to prevent any more carnage.
Couple laps later some weak showers started to fall but began to pick up on intensity, at which point many teams pitted for inters, some people with nothing to lose gambled on the full wet tyres (this is when Hamilton ran wide with slicks, but the time gap he had created prevented Kubica from taking the lead). Kubica was too distracted adjusting his steering wheel's knobs (or so he claimed in the post race press conference) and missed his entry point to his pit, locking up the tyres and sliding into a couple of mechanics, delaying his pitstop a lot and losing 2nd place to Webber in the process; Alonso's downhill weekend ended with a stupid mistake, running wide on to the artificial grass, losing all grip and hitting the wall which caused his retirement and a safety car. Everyone was hoping for some exciting last 4 laps under the rain after the SC went in, but overall the positions remained the same, with the exception of a late overtake from Rosberg on Schumi, which must have been caught with his pants down or something. Very unusual from him to let someone overtake like that.
Hamilton takes the win in a very controlled race from his part, lucky Webber gets 2nd, unlucky Kubica 3rd, Massa 4th (very uneventful race from him), Sutil, Rosberg, Schumacher, Kobayashi (good drive again, the force is strong with this one), Petrov (from 23rd to 9th, excellent), and Liuzzi are the top 10.

Hamilton goes up to the lead of the championship again, Webber remains second, Alonso's chances grow ever thinner scoring 0.
RBR leads McLaren by 1 point, and Ferrari 79 behind McL.

Great race although as a Ferrari fan it wasn't the best result. But the lack of F1 for 3 weeks and then a very eventful race makes me happy all the same.

Trivia: Since 1999, it's always been a Ferrari or McLaren to win at Spa

Mini rant: I'm still annoyed at the officials popping up at every single incident and saying they're gonna investigate them after the race. It's more like they want to remind us they're there. As far as I'm concerned, only the Vettel-Button was worthy of investigation, and then again, they gave the wrong penalty for it. Vettel lost only 3 seconds to Liuzzi with the drive through cos Spa's pits are very un-penalizing, it should have been a 10 sec stop&go.

Last edited:
Vettel you cunt, got what you fucking deserved! Congrats Hamilton, epic drive and it could have and should have been a McLaren 1&2.