2010 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

Getting three consecutive characters wrong by varying key distances is an odd typo :tease:

I'd say missing 5th is no worse than missing third. While you are hindered by no 5th more often, the time penalty for no 3rd is worse. Consider a corner where you would normally set off with 3rd, instead you set off in 4th. You will spend more time at very slow speed, losing a lot of time. If you have no 5th however you will accelerate up to the end of 4th as usual, then go straight to 6th and spend more time at medium speed than you normally would - essentially losing less time.

It depends, because apparently Lewis was told not to shift below 3rd. He was in 4th and above tilll the end of the race. This would be a huge issue if it happened in 5th - he would have stay below 5th gear which would be insane...

Dunno if he was told to do that, but I saw and heard him go into 2nd for the hairpin, then doubleshift into 4th.

In fact, if he accelerated out of the hairpin in 4th every time I'm surprised he was not overtaken by more people. F1 engines out of their power band are bitchy :cry:

Last edited:
Dunno if he was told to do that, but I saw and heard him go into 2nd for the hairpin, then doubleshift into 4th.

In fact, if he accelerated out of the hairpin in 4th every time I'm surprised he was not overtaken by more people. F1 engines out of their power band are bitchy :cry:

Yeah I heard him do the same thing. Later MW said that when he did that worrying things were happening so they told him not to shift below 4th...but yeah, pretty impressive.

Yeah that's why I mentioned I was astonished to see him finish 20 seconds clear of MSC even with such a handicap for about half the race. Pretty good drive.

no 3rd gear...
he would've had a much harder time if he was missing 5th gear

Losing 3rd gear means he is slow out of degner 2, and biblically slow after the hairpin.

ok so..... i missed all the F1 this weekend on account of a certain nice little program deciding that none of the iplayer programs have PID's what ever that is.... so i need a new way to watch these. im not in the UK at the moment, but i did just renew my TV license. just in case anyone was wondering.

ok so..... i missed all the F1 this weekend on account of a certain nice little program deciding that none of the iplayer programs have PID's what ever that is.... so i need a new way to watch these. im not in the UK at the moment, but i did just renew my TV license. just in case anyone was wondering.

PID = Programme ID :)

For me this only affected the original, aborted qualifying session :tease:

PID = Programme ID :)

For me this only affected the original, aborted qualifying session :tease:

It affected me, too, including the race itself - luckily there's a place underground where they care about racing.

Is it fixed by now? Otherwise we maybe should move this to the Technology Help thread.

EDIT: Seems to be a proxy problem. Any alternative to docoja?

Last edited:
Would be odd if it is a proxy issue, because I've noticed that the issue is very persistent but applies to the same PIDs every time. If there was some proxy issue I would expect failures for varying PIDs at random.

I'm sure there are tons of alternatives, just need to find one :lol: can't go look for others from the office right now, maybe later...

When the BBC showed onboards from the start, several drivers nearly jumped the start, the tensions were really high this race.

When the BBC showed onboards from the start, several drivers nearly jumped the start, the tensions were really high this race.

Who did? The first four didn't.

Who did? The first four didn't.

Petrov launched like a rocket, so much faster than everyone else... wonder if he jumped it too