2010 Formula 1 Korean Grand Prix

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it
I figured that this would be a good time to make the thread, since this piece of news got posted on Autosport this morning:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87421

Korean Grand Prix gets FIA go-ahead

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 03:29 GMT

The Korean Grand Prix will take place later this month after the FIA gave the circuit a green light on Tuesday following two days of safety inspections.

Although the event has been surrounded by speculation for weeks that the venue would not be finished in time for the October 24 race, FIA race director Charlie Whiting was happy with the progress that had been made.

Whiting told race officials that he had seen enough at the track to convince him that he will issue it with the mandatory circuit licence that it needs to host a Formula 1 race.

In a statement issued by race organisers, Whiting said: "It is satisfactory, and I will issue the license through (ASN) KARA."

Race promoter Yung Cho Chung welcomed the FIA approval, and said he believed the grand prix would ignite huge interest in his country.

"We are delighted that all works are now finished to the complete satisfaction of the FIA, and we join the whole of Korea in welcoming the Formula 1 fraternity to the Korea International Circuit for the first time," he said.

"The KIC has been constructed to the highest standards, and will become the epicentre of motorsport in the country. We believe the Korean Grand Prix will be the catalyst to ignite enormous interest in the sport across the nation."

Aerial photographs of the track this week showed that the final layer of asphalt had been laid, but that much of the infrastructure around the venue was not yet totally complete.

F1 teams said at the weekend that they expected the race to go ahead, even though F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has expressed some reservations about it in Singapore a fortnight ago.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "I think we have got to respect the fact that a lot of money has been spent, and a lot of effort put in, and I am sure the Korean nation will ensure that there is a grand prix."

Mercedes GP team boss Ross Brawn said: "As far as we know, yes it will happen. The final surface has been laid and they are finishing off the kerbs and so on...I think the infrastructure will be a bit weak, but we want to race there and we need to do everything we can, as long as it is safe to race there."

So...

500px-Korea_international_circuit_v2.svg.png

Track length: 5.621 km
Race distance: 55 laps
Lap record: NEW TRACK
Last winner: NEW TRACK

And the regular questions...

1) Pole-sitter and winner?
2) Energy drinks, horses or silvery stuff?
3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend (apart from the race happening at all)?
4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season?
5) Will the extremely fresh track surface cause issues with the track breaking up in places?
6) Williams or Sauber, which of these two teams will get the best result this weekend?

1) Pole-sitter and winner? Hamilton
2) Energy drinks, horses or silvery stuff? Silver. It better be frickin silver.
3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend (apart from the race happening at all)? The fact that no one besides Hamilton scores points of course.
4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season? No.
5) Will the extremely fresh track surface cause issues with the track breaking up in places? Nah I think they know how to go about things now.
6) Williams or Sauber, which of these two teams will get the best result this weekend? Williams still has the upper hand I think.

Hard to say, should be close at this track. I would like Alonso of course, but I think Lewis will be there.

All three.

3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend (apart from the race happening at all)?
Can't think of any.

4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season?
No. It's a new track with some big runoffs

5) Will the extremely fresh track surface cause issues with the track breaking up in places?
No.

6) Williams or Sauber, which of these two teams will get the best result this weekend?
Williams.

Anyone noticed that in this promo video Seb nearly crashed into Webber? :lol:

One question. Do someone know how long is the straight between 2 and 3? I've heard that it is the longest one in F1, but the one in China is like 1.1 km.

Will there be any support races to compliment the F1 race??

If so, what will they be?

Frankly, I dont think I wanna see a race on this track. Looks boring as shit.

1) Pole-sitter and winner? Hamilton
2) Energy drinks, horses or silvery stuff? Silvery stuff
3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend (apart from the race happening at all)? No idea
4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season? No
5) Will the extremely fresh track surface cause issues with the track breaking up in places? No
6) Williams or Sauber, which of these two teams will get the best result this weekend? Williams

Last edited:
Vettel,Hamilton
Silvery stuff please
A North Korean invasion
Hmmmmm I would like to see a Virgin up there as in the car I want Sebastian to crash into Alonso :)
Yes
I want a HULK vs KOBI showdown please

1) Pole-sitter and winner? Fernando Alonso!
2) Energy drinks, horses or silvery stuff? Horses running wild!
3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend (apart from the race happening at all)? Hamilton crashing in quali and the race.
4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season? No.
5) Will the extremely fresh track surface cause issues with the track breaking up in places? It'll be what Hamilton will blame when he inevitably crashes. :lol:
6) Williams or Sauber, which of these two teams will get the best result this weekend? Not sure, but they'll both be better than Hamilton who will crash.

It must be great to know how a race will be just by looking at a track that's never been used.

Last edited:
1) Pole-sitter and winner? Alonso
2) Energy drinks, horses or silvery stuff? Hurr durr there be hoerses up ahead
3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend (apart from the race happening at all)? A freak accident in the pit entry.
4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season?No, unless a big hole in the track appears and everyone stuffs it in there.
5) Will the extremely fresh track surface cause issues with the track breaking up in places? Vice versa, fresh tarmac will take it up.
6) Williams or Sauber, which of these two teams will get the best result this weekend? Sauber, Williams has just been just so meh for so long.

It must be great to know how a race will be just by looking at a track that's never been used.

You must admit it's a pretty uninspiring design. The usual bland mess of tight hairpins and constant radius corners broken up with a couple of long straights. There's not going to be anything terribly interesting to look at given it's a building site and the barriers are set so far back behind big featureless tarmac run off areas.

McLaren are tipped to go well here, but it looks like Red Bull or Ferrari territory to me.

Edit: There, I've improved it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/redbull/2010/10/12/500px-Korea_international_circuit_v2.svg_copy_001.jpg

Last edited:

your smoking a fucking rock! are you choking on that iowa corn? a boring F1 race on a new track? justify this please, tell us why it will be boring...go ahead, ill wait...

1) Pole-sitter and winner? Vettel
2) Energy drinks, horses or silvery stuff? Energy Drinks
3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend (apart from the race happening at all)? The glorious return of Yuji Ide with Hispania, or Lucas Di Grassi outdoing his previous performance by writing the car off driving down the pitlane to the out lap.
4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season? No
5) Will the extremely fresh track surface cause issues with the track breaking up in places? I'm no expert
6) Williams or Sauber, which of these two teams will get the best result this weekend? Saubers

I also predict the inevitable Petrov trainwreck and another horrific Mark-Webber-a-few-years ago-esque run of bad luck for Force India. Maybe Liuzzi will get hit by a falling Soyuz spacecraft and Sutil will spontaneously combust.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna judge this track before I see some action on it. In theory it could actually provide some decent racing or it could be just as disappointing as Istanbul... I do however see Redbull making around 3 tenths on everyone else between corners 4 - 6... That can't be good for racing.

I do however see Redbull making around 3 tenths on everyone else between corners 4 - 6... That can't be good for racing.

Not exactly there. Red Bulls main advantage is in the high speed corners, because they have great aerodynamical grip (first sector in Suzuka for example).

5....let's put it this way; it cannot be worse than the 2008 NASCAR race at Indy was when tyres were popping every 12 laps or so.

as for the rest, I think I'll wait until we get closer to the race weekend, lol

righto, now we're much closer :p
1 - Alonso, Webber (Fred and Seb get together unlike in Singapore).
2 - Horses have the start, the energy drinks find the patience leaving the silvery stuff lagging behind again.
3 - Schumi outqualifying Nico.
4 - Can't see it happening.
6 - Williams.

Last edited:
1) Pole-sitter and winner? Webber, Vettel
2) Energy drinks, horses or silvery stuff? Energetic silver horses.
3) What will be the biggest surprise of the weekend? A Lada taking 3rd
4) Will any of the new team drivers beat Kovalainen's 12th place in Japan which stands as the best result of a new team this season? Not really.
Something like this:
Guatemala-Sinkhole.jpg

Sauber, just cos of the engines.

I also think the track design is somewhat uninspired but it's hard to make something that hasn't been seen before. Red_Bull's version looks like Monza after getting punched.

I've driven this in F1 2010 and I think the track is really good, the twisty bits are very fun, I'll be very surprised if the race is a complete snore.

Call me superstitious, but I think RBR will have an upper hand due to the demo held in Korea with Chandok.

Either way, here's hoping McL get back to speed.