2010 Formula 1 Korean Grand Prix

I don't think he did it on purpose - but if I remember right he was holding the wheel right, so that his car would reverse across the track, which at the least was a stupid thing to do.

Niko also seems to believe that Mark could have stopped the car, from his Twitter;
"Don't understand why webber didn't hit the brakes.Was crazy(evidently)2 roll back over the track".

I thought it was ridiculous to suggest he did it on purpose when people first said it, but the onboard does make it look a little weird...if not suspicious...I'm really not sure on this one...

Yeah it does seem odd, atleast the way he keeps his wheel to the right. Usually if drivers do something instinctly, like try and steer the car, even if there aren't any wheels attached. Regardless of Mark's intentions, it looks a bit reckless. And if -and I'm not claiming so- he wanted to cause a crash, he probably didn't know it was Nico behind him, not Lewis. Also it wasn't a particularly fast place, or behind a blind corner. The crash wouldn't been huge. Or maybe he was just somehow trying to salvage the event, and turn his car.

To me it appears as if he tried to get the car turned back around, but the car didn't behave as expected due to the wet track and the fact that his front wheels were pretty much off the ground. Full lock like that in reverse would normally turn the car around very quickly. I think by the time he would have realised things weren't going to plan he was already rolling into the path of Rosberg.

Not to mention he wasn't holding the wheel at all when he knew the spin was unavoidable to reduce the risk of broken fingers, when the rear suspension snapped it pushed the front tires so it would coast across the track, had Webber tried to hustle the wheel back I think it would have been a lot worse than it was because in reverse travel steering is a lot quicker.
It's the only video I can find where I can clearly see his hand movements.

Yeah on second (or rather third) thought it just looks like he takes his hands off the wheel, the crash turns the wheel, and he is hesitant to put his hands back on because he knew the crash wasn't over...

If Webber was going to purposly drive into someone, why on earth would he pick Rosberg? Of course he didn't crash into him on purpose. When you go off on a soapy track like that you're just a passenger untill you hit the wall.

People are suggesting that he didn't mean to crash into Rosberg but was aiming for Alonso or Hamilton and missed.

He'd get more points by finishing ahead of them...? Kinda silly argument.

I don't think anyone suggested he crashed to try to take someone behind him out. They're saying after it was clear he was going to retire, after the spin and the impact, he may have figured he could only benefit from letting the car coast across the track and possibly remove one of his rivals behind him too.

As I said above, I don't believe he thought that. If it was Schumacher in the same situation or something sure. But I'd trust Webber more to not do the wrong thing than most.

I think he was a passenger completely.
I just looked at the whole thing in slow motion:
1- He runs over the kerb and the car oversteers to the right
2- He countersteers, to the left obviously, but the back end is already too loose, he spins. At this point Webber removes his hands from the wheel altogether, standard procedure, to protect the hands.
4- As the car hits the wall, the wheel steers all the way to the right on it's own. A moment later Webber catches the wheel, but doesn't turn it. When he sees (or feels) Rosberg's crash, he removes the hands again.

From outside, at the moment of impact with the wall, his front right just lifts up in the air. His front left seems to be on the ground, but would that be enough to steer the car?

I personally don't think Webber did this on purpose. He's a nice guy and a sportsman, and I just don't imagine this train of thought going through his mind.

This is when he started sliding.
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mp/mpicco/2010/10/28/web1.jpg

Just before impact, he takes his hands off the wheel, nothing else he could do to control it.
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mp/mpicco/2010/10/28/web2.jpg

Already going backwards he grabs hold of the wheel for whatever reason (it was spinning wild)
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mp/mpicco/2010/10/28/web3.jpg

Pictures of his front wheel up in the air, the left rear suspension probably totally collapsed cos of the impact.
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mp/mpicco/2010/10/28/wheelsoff.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mp/mpicco/2010/10/28/wheelsoff2.jpg

Also to note that the front wheels were on full brakes from the moment the car spins, but when the left tyre hits the wall it starts spinning. Probably severed the connection between the brakes and the pump and the calipers released the disk; the right front remains not turning but this could be cos at this moment it's up in the air. So from the front wheels we can't tell if Mark's braking or not at this point... but I find it hard to believe he'd let the car go just to hit someone. If he did indeed release the brakes once he was traveling backwards, it probably was with the intent of reaching the outside of the track as soon as possible and hoping nobody would hit him.

I guess only Webber knows, on this one. Perhaps if they released the telemetry?

Last edited:
That was a mess...have the after math pic?

Does anyone have a video of the medical car? I can't believe I actually missed it..

Do you mean this?

No, there's a shot of the medical car(the C63 estate) on a recon lap while the race is stopped and the SC itself is parked at the head of the field, and it's powersliding in the wet out of a corner with the full bark of the V8 screaming at the camera.

But he certainly knew that Alonso and Hamilton was just behind him. The cynic in me thinks he deliberately rolled back into the track hoping he'd collect either a Ferrari or McLaren.

why would Webber want to take out Alonso or Hamilton when his main championship rival (Vettel) was zooming away ahead? It would have been better for Webber to stay where he was and would have only lost 7 points on Vettel and gained 3 on Alonso. The crash was an accident and Webber was only a passenger. Pity he cleaned up Rosberg though, he was on tack for second, first if he held off Alonso past Vettel's engine failure.

why would Webber want to take out Alonso or Hamilton when his main championship rival (Vettel) was zooming away ahead? It would have been better for Webber to stay where he was and would have only lost 7 points on Vettel and gained 3 on Alonso. The crash was an accident and Webber was only a passenger. Pity he cleaned up Rosberg though, he was on tack for second, first if he held off Alonso past Vettel's engine failure.

For a first port you shoulda read the thread a bit more thoroughly. We covered this already and mentioned it was only after the initial spin and crash into the wall that he made the decision to try to take someone with him, not while he was still on track. Which I still don't believe to be true BTW...

Brundle: "This looks closer than ever doesn't it? Something sounds sick out there!"
Legard: "Something's wrong. That's Vettel. Vettel's got a problem and here comes Alonso!"

First I was like :-o then, :w00t: I jumped out of my chair, I swear I've never jumped higher in my life. :lol: Awesome weekend!! Alonso FTW? :mouse:

No kidding, I was jumping all over the house when I saw that, I was so happy.

I had the same joy reaction to both Webber and Vettel's incidents, but both times after 5 seconds I realized that actually it's not so great. Webber because that meant Vettel becomes favourite for the championship :( And Vettel because Alonso becomes favourite :( :(.

We really need Lewis or Mark to take this one.