2010 Formula 1 Korean Grand Prix

Crazy race. Really enjoyed it. Don't know how many hours it was from buildup to finish, and I'm still yet to watch the BBC forum.

I think it was a good decision to start behind the safety car. But red flag was silly, especially as they restarted it in the same conditions. The track was never going to improve unless they unleash diffusers at F1 speeds. As proven after 10-15 laps the track was drying out quite well, even with light drizzle. I don't get why Charlie doesn't seem to get that. Sure it may have been "dangerous" but these drivers are the best of the best of the best. I guess they were just scared because it's a new unfinished track.

Anyway, the race itself. Awesome. Total lottery at the end of the day.

Alonso.. Didn't put a foot wrong that I saw. No mistakes from him. Brilliant drive. Could have challenged Vettel at the end I think. He was 3-4 seconds faster then anyone at the end. Crazy.

Hamilton. I was expecting a bit more from him at the start, and then when Nico did him down the straight, I was shocked. Got a bit lucky, but, this race was always going to be about luck. He wasn't going to hold off Alonso for long, but more than one corner would have been nice lol.

Massa. Didn't really do anything for me. Great save to not do a Webber at the end. Good Points for the prancing horse.

Button... No grip anywhere. Funny interview after the race. But to not get past a Torro Rosso. Come on? His title hopes are finished sadly. Has been a good world champion I thought.

Vettel. Initially I was happy to see his engine pop, but, it was a very cruel way to finish a brilliant drive, and maybe his title hopes, unless he can pull off a Kimi!

Webber. Everyone saw what happened. Gutted for him. Was identical to Alonso's at Spa. Sad to see him take out Nico too.

Sutil. Wtf? Worst drive I've seen for a while I'd say. He just seemed to either go off the road, or crash into people. Was actually happy to see him crash out at the end.

Can't really remember anything else.

This championship is awesome. Last 2 races are going to be interesting. Lewis needs to up his game if he wants a shot. As much as I don't like Alonso, he has been driving beautifully recently.

Excited!!!! Hurry up Brazil!

Anyone else thinks Webber could have braked to avoid a crash with Rosberg, At first I thought he tried to brake but it wouldn't stop but after watching a replay his front tires are not breaking or being locked.

Crazy, action-packed, unpredictable race it was. True up-and-down motorsport. I was gutted at first, wake up at 08:45 w/ about 4 h sleep, and then see the postpone. But it's quite fun to see the drivers and team people just hang out with eachother at the grid. And when the race began, oh boy were we in a for a ride.

Anyone else thinks Webber could have braked to avoid a crash with Rosberg, At first I thought he tried to brake but it wouldn't stop but after watching a replay his front tires are not breaking or being locked.

Big surprise to see him off, on the live feed. Maybe he tried to roll his car backwards, to turn round and continue, but cocked it up. Bad mistake from him, but also changed the title standings. Shame he took Nico out, he could've done a good race like Schumi. Lot's of action and overtaking. Di Grassi crashed out, as did Buemi with Glock. Sutil apparently had a brake fault :hmm:, explaining his outings, and eventual crash with Kamui. Petrov threw points and maybe his future away. Heidfeld quite invisible with experience, both Sauber's on points.

Heikki made the most of it, he said the hydraulics had been run down during the closing moments, so he'd make it to the end, which he did. Cool HRT finished a race like this. I'm gutted Button doesn't have the speed, both McLaren's had problems with tire temperatures. Now his title chances are really slim-to-none. :(

Drama of motorsport struck as Vettel's engine blew, weird as it wasn't a really old one. Terrible race for RB, and wasn't the first time. As I said before; looks like Alonso&Ferrari are in it to win it. They're not breaking down etc, but winning. I'm starting to see that Ferrari magic again. Massa also did good. It was pretty dark at the end, few drivers said the race should've been stopped. Also I think the track was quite cool for a modern Tilke thing.

BTW a question, has anyone else noticed Felipe's somber mood?? All the time he looks like a man who's sold his country :( Even on Podium at Monza, he looked as he was saying: "This is the last time I'll be here". Is he leaving Ferrari, having personal problems or what?

Webber wouldn't have been able to do anything after he smashed into that wall, his rear suspension was toast.
What an unbelievable race, McLaren is creeping up to Red Bull in Constructors!

Gutted for both Vettel and Webber. Oh god please don't let eyebrow man get another championship! I just want one of the Red Bull guys to win it.

That did occur to me as well. I thought Mark was trying to roll his car off the track to try and continue the race (he propably didn't know about the suspension damage at that point) and didn't notice Nico trying to pass him on that side before it was too late.

That did occur to me as well. I thought Mark was trying to roll his car off the track to try and continue the race (he propably didn't know about the suspension damage at that point) and didn't notice Nico trying to pass him on that side before it was too late.

From the angle I saw on the opposite side it looked like webber's wheels were in the air at the front. I wouldn't have noticed if it didn't look so odd. It was like the back of the car was weighing the front down and lifting the front wheels slightly off the track. Either way I don't know that braking would have helped when he was going sideways with that momentum on such a wet track. As many commentators said, he was just a passenger.

From the angle I saw on the opposite side it looked like webber's wheels were in the air at the front. I wouldn't have noticed if it didn't look so odd. It was like the back of the car was weighing the front down and lifting the front wheels slightly off the track. Either way I don't know that braking would have helped when he was going sideways with that momentum on such a wet track. As many commentators said, he was just a passenger.

Because the wheels were up in the air they should have stopped pretty quickly if Mark had been on the brakes. Unless, of course, the brakes had failed on the impact with the wall.

Whether the brakes would have made any difference is a different matter altogether...

I'm not sure I understand you. If the wheels are in the air, without touching the ground, how would they effectively brake?

He means that if breaks are applied while the wheels are in the air and they stop turning immediately.

I think it looked a bit like he was intentionally rolling the car. To me the car was rolling, not sliding or skidding. I think he also had his hands off the steering wheel for some time? The impact wasn't that hard, and the car didn't break that much, I don't think it would've disabled his breaks. Maybe he tried to roll the car, so he'd be in a place to wait and/or turn around, but the front suspension etc was damaged, and ruined his plan?

I think it looked a bit like he was intentionally rolling the car. To me the car was rolling, not sliding or skidding. I think he also had his hands off the steering wheel for some time? The impact wasn't that hard, and the car didn't break that much, I don't think it would've disabled his breaks. Maybe he tried to roll the car, so he'd be in a place to wait and/or turn around, but the front suspension etc was damaged, and ruined his plan?

Rear-left suspension got broken when hitting the wall, and braking with only two wheels left on the ground is not as effective as braking with all 4 wheels attached and doing what they're supposed to. So he could have braked and got a lot less braking than he was expecting, and rolled into Nico's path probably expecting him to go the other way in avoidance.

Last edited:
I was worried that they would not continue the race after those first 3 laps, but good thing they did, it turned out to be pretty interesting after all. :)

Congrats to Alonso, I think he did the best he could with that Ferrari to be able to capitalize on Red Bull's mistakes.
I'm sorry for Vettel, shame his car failed again, but that's motorsport, your car has to be reliable as well as fast, one of these factors is not enough.
Webber must be seriously angry at himself. He could have left Korea with a huge lead in the standings and now he's lost many points due to his own mistake. However, if the team decides to back him (although I'm not sure they will), I think he's still the favourite to win it.
To be honest, I expected Hamilton to be faster and more agressive in the wet, but it didn't seem as if he could have finished higher up. He's 21 points behind, it may not seem to be too much, but considering that his car is now constantly behind Red Bull and Ferrari, I guess it's over for him.
I find it funny that in theory, Button can still win the WDC, it says a lot about this season.

Looking forward to Interlagos, one of my favourite tracks. :)

Last edited:
I doubt that Mark could have even known specifically what was going on - ie who is coming and from where. The angle he was at, they were all essentially in his blind spot which in an F1 car is substantial - he just assumed to get to the side of the road, not knowing nico had to avoid there. If he had braked, he would be right in the middle of the road anyways. Regardless, he had just had a shunt and was going on instinct.

BTW a question, has anyone else noticed Felipe's somber mood?? All the time he looks like a man who's sold his country :( Even on Podium at Monza, he looked as he was saying: "This is the last time I'll be here". Is he leaving Ferrari, having personal problems or what?

He's still pissed about the '08 season and Mr. Captain Douchebag I (Hamilton).