2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Some inside info, though a bit redundant. Virgin's fuel tank size was not due to Cossie misinformation but due to an internal error.

Some inside info, though a bit redundant. Virgin's fuel tank size was not due to Cossie misinformation but due to an internal error.

That confirms what could be figured from the press release of the chassis design company, Wirth research, saying that the new chassis will be delivered to Virgin free of charge as they were at fault...

EDIT, hours later: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82558

Last edited:
That confirms what could be figured from the press release of the chassis design company, Wirth research, saying that the new chassis will be delivered to Virgin free of charge as they were at fault...

EDIT, hours later: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82558

I had heard somewhere that one explanation for Virgin's cock up was they had changed the density of the fuel late in the year which lead to the miscalculation.. Cant remember the source though Think it may have been Joe Saward's blog or something...

Edit: Here's a link...

Last edited:
Really don't know what to make of this. McLaren seem completely convinced Red Bull have it, yet Red Bull would have no real reason to lie blatantly about it...

SPEED's Steve Matchett mentioned during the FP2 at Sepang that some engineers in the paddock thought Ferrari was using the same system.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82741

Really don't know what to make of this. McLaren seem completely convinced Red Bull have it, yet Red Bull would have no real reason to lie blatantly about it...

Quite simple - Horner denies that they have such a system because having a ride height altering suspension would be illegal. So whatever the Red Bulls do to tackle the ride height problem can't be a ride height altering suspension - they at least call it differentely, so he can deny having such a suspension without lying.

Reminds me of a team experimenting with "air-cooled engines" in the 70s.

if what is said in the tech thread is true, about RBR using a cold gas injection on the suspension (ie its put in cold, cold gas utilises less volume and then it simply expands with heat over the course of a few hours so that come race day the suspension has expanded and raised the ride height to accomodate the fuel load), then i reckon they'd get away from it because its possibly not truely active suspension

its not active in the sense that they have any real remote control over it, and it certainly wont have any kind of feed back system so that it can alter itself. theyre just at the mercy of heat transfer which can only be predicted (very well of course, but atmospheric conditions can change to alter that both in favour and against). so while clever, its operation would be very rudimentary, and its lack of control can work against them given the right circumstances, so id say its not a true active ride hide system as we saw in the 90's

if they dont have anything like that at all then it just seems RBR has shown everyone up and Adrian Newey has designed an absolute belter of a car.... the others will just have to put up and shut up.

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this, but I've put up my photos of the Australian GP weekend on Flickr - find them here. Here's a preview:

4469026841_d9d0605ef2_o.jpg

4469822800_b111c17d07_o.jpg

4469840022_3c27929c7f_o.jpg

^just noticed the quote from GMan in your sig

if what i believe is true an smedley is from Acklam, Middlesbrough, remind me never to go near GMan as im from the very same place!

( i know alot of people thought smedley was a manchester boy, but im sure i read somewhere hes from middlesbrough an that he went to manchester unI)

Edit: apparently wikipedia says hes from Normanby, Middlesbrough... still boro tho. and i think normanby is pretty rough.... though i may be getting confused with Norton

Edit2: google maps... Normanby, surrounded by Ormesby, South bank, grange town and right next door to ICI and the beginigns of the steel works..... shudder.

Last edited:
Great photos melbournian thank you for sharing. +rep

Not sure where to post this, but I've put up my photos of the Australian GP weekend on Flickr - find them here. Here's a preview:
4469840022_3c27929c7f_o.jpg

'He said "go on, try it!" I said I do not know Lewis, I has never done zis drinking through a bier hose, but I lift it to my lips like zis and the night passed in a beautiful daze...'

Nice pics. I still need to get my arse into gear and upload mine.

How'd you get that close-up of Mark?

Sorry, but I had to lol at the "inside info" delivered 6 days after the Autosport article.

I know, that's why I said it was redundant :lol:. I know two people that work at Virgin, and one that works at Lotus (they are good friends of my roommate's), but I get to talk to them every now and then, so I ask them questions whenever I can.

I know, that's why I said it was redundant :lol:. I know two people that work at Virgin, and one that works at Lotus (they are good friends of my roommate's), but I get to talk to them every now and then, so I ask them questions whenever I can.

That is so cool!
I wish I had friends that worked in F1 :p

If it's any consolation... I have a housemate that works in Holden.

Hmm no. It's not as awesome.

Nice pics. I still need to get my arse into gear and upload mine.

How'd you get that close-up of Mark?

Thanks everyone!

I hung out at the paddock entrance on Sunday...lots of drivers and personnel signed autographs on their way in, which is where I got all the close up photos of everyone. The funniest were Christian Horner, who made some insult about our weather to which I replied 'it's still better than England!' which got a laugh from everyone, and Vettel, who was being interviewed in front of us by Louise Goodman - she told him 'I think you might break a lot of Australian hearts today' and my sister who is slightly infatuated with him called out 'you won't break mine!' which was hilarious, especially when they both looked at her and laughed.