2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

If I had to pick between dropping Barcelona and dropping Valencia, I'd pick dropping Valencia anyday. Sadly, I think Valencia's on a 7-year contract. But then again, if I remember correctly Canada was on a contract and they still dropped it for 2009.
According to Wikipedia, Barcelona is under contract till 2016 and Valencia till 2014. I'm one of the people who doesn't mind seeing Hungary go, because it's very hard to overtake there and the only purpose it was there in the first place was because of the iron curtain which now is pointless. I really want Bahrain gone and by the track layout of Korea and India they don't look very promising.

EDIT: By the way Bahrain and Hungary both have contracts till 2016 as well.
EDIT2: Abu Dhabi till 2012, but I think Bernie will renew no matter what. Good news is Chinese GP's contract is till 2011.

Last edited:
I'd rather see Bahrain go than Abu Dhabi. AD looks to become the second Monaco (in terms of money and glitz), so I can't see it being axed even with such a short contract period. Of course, Monaco is going nowhere.

I would not miss Turkey at all - one turn does not a great track make. I also must admit I would not miss Hungary.

I love Valencia and Barcelona as cities, so hosting GP's is an excellent excuse for me to visit them each year. But if one must go, I'd prefer it be Barcelona than Valencia. That being said, with Alonso at Ferrari, you'd think Spain could support two races just as Germany did during the Schumacher Years.

Speaking of Germany, dropping both Hockenheim and the Nurburgring would work for me (they neutered Hockenheim), but with Schumacher back and Mercedes as a team, there must be a German Grand Prix.

If they get rid of Spa or Monza I will riot. I'd hate to lose the British GP, much less Silverstone, but I would not put it past Bernie...

IMO, Malaysia should be run under the lights, as does Melbourne, though I prefer both be done like Abu Dhabi - race into the night. However, if they axe Singapore, I would be content with Melbourne being run purely at night and Sepang being run from day into night. That way, they work for Europe and for the US West Coast. ;) And Japan needs to stay at Suzuka, even if someone is willing to run Fuji in Toyota's place.

Hey guys, look what I noticed in the Aus GP. Took some screenshots. Hamilton's wing flexes insanely, but doesn't fly off. How the hell is that possible with carbon fibre?

http://img705.imageshack.**/img705/7135/hamiltonwing.jpg

It moves up, and the wing is designed to be pushed down by the air, so I'd imagine the carbon fiber weave in the front wing is very good at taking high vertical loads without breaking. But I'm sure someone with more knowledge in material/structural engineering can explain it better.

You are quite spot on there, Vic!

If we were to start filming everything with extremely high frame rate cameras, you would be surprised at just how much various objects and materials deform temporarily under various circumstances!

Last edited:
Yes, these screencaps show the moment when Hamilton's car hits rear wheel of that Ferrari and something broke there form that wing.

Nevertheless only some part came of but the rest didn't break. I was working last year on a carbon fibre RC heli at my university, so I can confirm that cf is flexible and that's what give it its strength. More durable materials should be flexible, so they could bend but not brake.

Schumi : Give me time
Michael Schumacher has backed up the claims of his Mercedes paymasters by admitting that, while things have not gone to plan so far, he has no intention of quitting Formula 1.

Speaking ahead of this weekend?s Chinese Grand Prix, Schumi acknowledged that he has not achieved the results many had predicted of his partnership with the German outfit, but insisted that things were progressing and would continue to do so.

?Admittedly, the last two races have not been very fortunate for me, but I am very much aware of the reasons for it,? said Schumacher. ?I know how things go in F1 and, if you look into the detail of the two races, I think everything is still going according to plan. You can only improve step-by-step and I am confident that we are achieving this.?

The seven-time world champion scored points in his first two races after returning from a three-year ?retirement?, but fell foul of a mechanical problem in Malaysia last time out, leaving him only tenth in the standings, on nine points. Team-mate Nico Rosberg finished third at Sepang to take his tally to 35 and a share of fourth overall.

?We looked quite reasonable in Malaysia at the last race and maybe things will play into our hands again in Shanghai,? Schumacher added. ?I am looking forward to the race and fully enjoying the competition again.?

Source

He sounds like the owner of a soccer club who, after three lost matches in the row, proclaims his "full support for the manager".

Anyone keen to make a quick buck ? EDIT: no.. not really quick.. hafta wait till the season is over :/

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15042010/23/interwetten-launches-bet-schumacher-winless.html

Interwetten launches bet on Schumacher going winless
Thu, 15 Apr 13:20:22 2010

Michael Schumacher's Formula One comeback has yet to live up to the hype created by both fans and seasoned observers, and the German's lack of results has already prompted one bookmaker to offer odds against him returning to the top step of the podium in 2010.

It was heralded by the media as the comeback of the year, but on current form Michael Schumacher is struggling to make an impact and live up to his legendary status in Formula 1. It has already been made clear in the new season that even his Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg has been drawing more plaudits. And the bookmakers at Austrian bet-taker Interwetten fully believe that nothing will change in the remaining races, responding to the seven-times champion's slow start by launching a special 'Schumi' bet.

?While Schumacher was away, the younger drivers haven?t been sleeping ? they have developed and made progress,? explained head bookmaker Werner Reinwald, ?So far Schumacher simply hasn?t been fast enough.?

The current odds that Schumacher will end 2010 without a win are 2.0, although Reinwald does add a note of caution for those looking to take up the offer of backing a winless season.

?Schumacher is an old warhorse that you should never write off and the season is still young,? he warned, ?The balance of power in F1 could easily change overnight, as we?ve already witnessed this season.?

The odds available at Interwetten on one or more race wins for Schumacher this season are 1.7, but the 'special' Interwetten bet can be found HERE

Schumacher SPECIAL on Interwetten's web. LULZ.

1.70 if he wins, 2.00 now if he doesn't. :lol::lol:

^- It seems to me like you somehow missed the improvements the new teams on the grid have aready made.

Ironically, the only team that contracted out chassis design to a Prodrive- or Lola-level company, HRT, is struggling most of the new ones. Or would you say Dallara has a worse track record than (*cough* MasterCard *cough*) Lola?

But AFAIK Dallara had much less time than Lotus or Manor. I'm predicting that HRT will develop quite fast and will catch up with Lotus and Virgin.

^- It seems to me like you somehow missed the improvements the new teams on the grid have aready made.

Ironically, the only team that contracted out chassis design to a Prodrive- or Lola-level company, HRT, is struggling most of the new ones. Or would you say Dallara has a worse track record than (*cough* MasterCard *cough*) Lola?

Well I said "have" a chance, I didn't say definitely...

All things considered, that's a very wise decision.

Yeah, definitely. Prodrive's got a WRC campaign to think about next year and, if Aston Martin provides the budgetary blessing, a new LMP1 car to build, while Lola has to focus on its sportscar customers, its other myriad of activities and the 2012 IndyCar bid.

byronf1 on twitter
Rising F1 concern as UK pupils in Shanghai told by BA their Thursday flight is delayed to 26th by ash cloud.
McLaren say four day ash cloud delay not a problem but a week is. They mentioned the Trans Siberian Railway !

:lol: Oh god :rofl: