2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

No idea where to put this, but does anyone have the races from RU downloaded? I want to download all of them..but have a limited quota. I'm willing to pay for a hard drive and shipping. Or maybe someone in Sydney ;)

Actually, the logical place to put this would be the "Video Requests" Forum... anyways, define "The Races"... some of them are idling in my queue for weeks now with no seeders ;)

No idea where to put this, but does anyone have the races from RU downloaded? I want to download all of them..but have a limited quota. I'm willing to pay for a hard drive and shipping. Or maybe someone in Sydney ;)

Hmm. I have them in MPEG2 raw quality... think something along the lines of watching the telly straight.
From Valencia to Abu Dhabi last year, it is 91.3 GB or so including the pre-race and pre-quali build up.

This year I have all until now. Not gonna be a small size mate.

Something that just popped in my head, loads of people freaking out over McLaren's pace over testing when they were running all of those Pitot tube arrangements and flow-vis yet they've won two races and are showing they have enough momentum to win some more and challenge for the championship. I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams running similar programs next year during testing.

But they are still fooking quick though, they have a range of upgrades coming for Barcelona, like everyone, which they are saying will give a couple tenths and hopefully they can sort out qualifying. They, in my eyes, are the best out there. Because lets face itin my opinion:
Red Bull: Fast one lap pace, not the best race pace.
Ferrari: Fast but engine problems are beginning to poke out.
Mercedes: Fast for Nico but he has yet to win anything, Ecclestone is saying don't rule out schumy but he also tipped vettel for the championship and there is a precedent of people who he tips failing.

Sure it is early days but McLaren are out front for a reason, they may not be outright fast but schumy wasn't always the fastest but genius strategy always got him the win. They have a ton of data for their car and have an immense development pace as well as an advantage in the form of the F-duct.

Last edited:
Red Bull: Fast one lap pace, not the best race pace.

What does that even mean? They have by far and aways the best car on the grid, be it race day or quali.

I don't think so, imo Vettel pushed hard all through the Malaysian Grand Prix to stay ahead as well as webber pushed hard.
And even if they do have the best car they suffer when having to make snap strategy calls which they need to face and fix.

Something that just popped in my head, loads of people freaking out over McLaren's pace over testing when they were running all of those Pitot tube arrangements and flow-vis yet they've won two races and are showing they have enough momentum to win some more and challenge for the championship. I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams running similar programs next year during testing.

I had said this right at the beginning of testing. That McLaren had spent all of winter testing to gather data on the car so that they could understand exactly how it works, and plan out exactly how it's development is going to take place. It's the way of the future.

Mclaren have won races on strategy choice and not because of outright speed, they are behind ferrari and red bull in that respect.

McLaren have also screwed up their strategy, on a number of occasions this year. Circumstances play a huge part in it, but you can't deny that McLaren are fast catching up to Red Bull in terms of outright pace in all conditions. I disagree that they are behind Ferrari, I think they have already overtaken Ferrari in terms of pace, and only have Red Bull to catch up to.

What does that even mean? They have by far and aways the best car on the grid, be it race day or quali.

To tackle the first part of the question: That means that the Red Bull is optimized to give fantastic performance over one lap (i.e. when it comes to adaptability between low and high fuel, and handling of tyres), as well as giving consistent performance over a race stint. We've seen that McLaren and Ferrari are both able to match Red Bull's pace in the race, but are unable to keep up in qualifying. Ferrari are better off than McLaren in qualifying, but not quite up to snuff in comparison to Red Bull.

So yeah, Red Bull is the fastest car on the grid, still, but it's margin is getting smaller and smaller.

Mclaren have won races on strategy choice and not because of outright speed, they are behind ferrari and red bull in that respect.

Disagree. In quali they might be behind Red Bull (equal with Ferrari I'd say) but in race they are all at the same level.

Disagree. In quali they might be behind Red Bull (equal with Ferrari I'd say) but in race they are all at the same level.

Yeah I agree with that. It's also a matter of where they are fastest. McLaren have done well as their car is at their fastest (compared to everyone else) in the first part of the race, allowing them to gain positions when they can. One of the McLaren guys said this in a recent autoport interview...

They have maximised their opportunities - especially Jensen. Time will tell though, I think both Red Bull and Ferrari are very stiff competition. Vettel and Webber are a strong pairing indeed.

I think Red Bull has very good race pace as well, they just have to take care of the reliability issues. Also I think Red Bull would have won the Chinese GP if it wasn't for the rain mixing things up.

Nico could have won the Chinese Grand Prix as well, he was looking very racy and would be in an excellent position with Alonso getting the penalty, but then again if it wasn't spitting at the start Alonso might not have made that mistake and overtaken both Red Bulls. Hell if Virgin had a better car they could have won, in hypothetical situations everything is possible, they tripped up and they should live up to it, they had the same conditions as everyone else.