2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Nico could have won the Chinese Grand Prix as well, he was looking very racy and would be in an excellent position with Alonso getting the penalty, but then again if it wasn't spitting at the start Alonso might not have made that mistake and overtaken both Red Bulls. Hell if Virgin had a better car they could have won, in hypothetical situations everything is possible, they tripped up and they should live up to it, they had the same conditions as everyone else.
Yes, if, if, if...
F1 is "if" spelled backwards...
- Clive James

One thing we haven't talked about too much is why weren't the Red Bulls able to claw their way back through the field like Lewis and Alonso did? I recall, from last year, RB were very good in these conditions, regardless of poor tyre calls, they could have made more of it...

They did claw their way back through the field, Vettel made up 9 places and Webber did similar.

They mentioned on the BBC Forum (I think) that the McLaren was aerodynamically better than all the others in terms of following another car, and that the Red Bull really struggles with that. I think that makes sense, although it's still clear that McLaren have the better racers in Hamilton and Button as well.

They mentioned on the BBC Forum (I think) that the McLaren was aerodynamically better than all the others in terms of following another car.

Which is about the same as Jenson and Hamilton complaining about lack of downforce and/or aero grip: If you have to rely on mechanical grip more than the competitiors ("all the other" being Brawncedes, Ferrari and RBR, not the whole grid), clean air is not as important for you...

They did claw their way back through the field, Vettel made up 9 places and Webber did similar.

What I mean to say is that Lewis and Alonso starting behind them, finished ahead of them. However, SStig might have a point, I'm not too sure about it, as it took Lewis 2 laps to overtake schumi, while Vettel did it in his first shot

What I mean to say is that Lewis and Alonso starting behind them, finished ahead of them. However, SStig might have a point, I'm not too sure about it, as it took Lewis 2 laps to overtake schumi, while Vettel did it in his first shot

There was probably an element of awe for Hamilton as he realised 'wow, I'm racing with Michael Schumacher!' and Schumacher wasn't exactly laying down and making it easy either. Hamilton probably could've closed the deal on the first attempt if he were a little more aggressive but that's really not for me or any of us to make a judgement on as he's the one driving the car :p. He got the job done which is all that matters.

It seemed as if Hamilton was giving Michael too much respect when trying to get past him.

Yeah, I think he would have gone straight past if it were anyone else. You could just see that he was thinking "oh crap, I have to do something special now", while really he didn't...

SPEED.com is reporting that Tony George was at the Grand Prix of China speaking with Bernie about restoring the US Grand Prix, though it would most likely not be at Indianapolis Motor Speedway as Bernie wants a street race in New York and Tony doesn't have any pull with IMS since his family tossed him.

Trulli frustrated by Lotus problems

By Michele Lostia and Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, April 27th 2010, 12:42 GMT
1272372400.jpg
Jarno Trulli says he has been frustrated by all the problems that have marred his start to the season with Lotus, and the Italian claims it feels as if he has hardly driven.
"Obviously I knew that it wouldn't be easy, that everything would be new and we would need time," Trulli told Autosprint magazine.
"However, I had expected at least to drive. Instead, after four races I did not start once and when I got to the finish, it was because it was decided I should take the chequered flag but in far from ideal conditions.
"Bad luck seems to persevere on my car, everything happens on my car and my car only. So, to this day, my expectations have not been met.
"It's still early days to judge, we need more time for a reliable judgement. I knew it would be tough, but I practically haven't driven yet. I'll pass judgement at the end of the year," he added.
Trulli's best finishes so far have been a couple of 17th places in Bahrain and Malaysia, but in both races the Italian was hit by problems that meant he was the last classified driver.
In contrast, team-mate Heikki Kovalainen has enjoyed a less troubled start and has 13th, 14th and 15th-place finishes to date.
Trulli admitted his main goal at the moment is to beat the Finn, as he reckons Lotus has had no time to make a competitive car.
"On paper, our team is definitely the best among the new outfits in F1," he said. "We operate like a real team in the top series, but unfortunately we are only at 10% of our potential because of lack of time.
"There's no testing, and the racing weekend is the only chance to test and oil the structure. For us this is our apprenticeship year: we'll see the potential in 2011, when many structural problems will be behind and we'll be able to concentrate on the design of the new car.
"My aim today is to stay ahead of my team-mate and to lead among the new teams. The rest is just dreaming: you can think of getting into Q2, but you need a disaster to happen, like it did in Malaysia."
He added: "The package with Cosworth engine and X-Track gearbox has little influence over the lack of performance, I think no more than 10%, so the problems are elsewhere. The thing Lotus has lacked is time, the main culprit for our difficulties.
"Had we had time to program everything more in advance, we would have better prepared the structure, the car, the gearbox, our hydraulics system and everything you need to start well. All this work is being done now, race after race."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83159

I'm really not sure about this guy. He doesn't have the same attitude as Heikki; Heikki is really happy, he's in it for the long run. Trulli's just complaining and being a bit of an Italian (no offence :p). Don't think he'll stay very long if this continues. He has to change mindset, he's not at Toyota anymore.

James Allen Blog said:
Silverstone: ? A new circuit for a new generation?

The new Silverstone Grand Prix circuit was unveiled today, with a new sequence of corners on the second half of the lap which promise better overtaking, better spectating and more challenges for the drivers.

At a ceremony on one of the corners, BRDC president Damon Hill called the new track, ?A new circuit for a new generation of people to enjoy motorsport.?

The circuit recently secured the British Grand Prix for a minimum of 10 years with the possibility of 17 years.

The new layout features seven new corners and starts with a revision to Club corner. Next is a new Abbey curve, which goes right instead of left and takes the cars back infield towards Becketts. Abbey is 15 degrees more open than Copse Corner and is therefore faster at 295km/h.

After that Farm Curve is a 275 km/h left hander, which leads to Village, a tight right hander at 116km/h, where overtaking is anticpated. This leads onto a 100m long straight to a left hander called The Loop. Here a car which found itself on the outside for Village can repass.

After that there is a corner called Aintree, which opens onto the back straight, which is 100m shorter than the Hangar Straight and equally fast. This leads into Brooklands, which is quite different in character for the F1 cars now, as the apex is much later. Club racers have used Brooklands in this configuration for many years and it has always produced a lot of overtaking.

The lap length has increased from 5.1km to 5.9km and is faster than the old layout with an average lap speed of around 250km/h, maintaining Silverstone?s reputation as a high speed track.

Silverstone is 92% sold out for this year?s Grand Prix. It has also been inspected yesterday by the FIA?s Charlie Whiting and has received its licence for the next three years.

Unlike most modern F1 tracks, the new Silvestone has been designed, not by Hermann Tilke, but by London based firm, Populous. They also designed the new Wembley Stadium, Ascot, the Emirates stadium and the 2012 Olympic Stadium. Populous like to think that they are more focussed on fans experience than their rivals.

Below is a chart given to me by Drew Macdonald, who designed the new corners.

Silv3.jpg

It looks quite good except for that pokey little T11-T12 section. I like the idea of fast, flowing corners and watching the cars at high speed. Pity they couldn't have eased Club out a little more but I tentatively approve.

I think it's very good. Turn 11 is good as well, because it's there for overtaking, and I think it will work. Can't wait for it, it looks like a spectacular track. :D

Ohh for god's sake...

Ferrari in spotlight over 'subliminal tobacco ads'

Eurosport - Thu, 29 Apr 11:32:00 2010

Doctors have urged governments to launch an enquiry into alleged 'subliminal' tobacco advertising on Ferrari Formula One cars, according to The Times.

It is claimed the red, white and black bar code on Ferrari cars and overalls is intended to remind viewers of Marlboro cigarettes branding.

EU law bans tobacco sponsorship at sporting events, and the first European round of the 2010 F1 season takes place in Spain next weekend.

A spokesman for the European Public Health Commissioner he suspected subliminal marketing by Marlboro, who have a $1 billion (?650m) partnership with Ferrari, and asked the British and Spanish governments to investigate.

Subliminal advertising is a technique whereby consumers are reminded of a product without actually seeing it, and an expert said the Ferrari bar code had come increasingly to resemble a Marlboro packet.

John Britton, a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and director of its tobacco advisory group, told The Times: ?The bar code looks like the bottom half of a packet of Marlboro cigarettes. I was stunned when I saw it. This is pushing at the limits. If you look at how the bar code has evolved over the last four years, it looks like creeping branding.?

Gerard Hastings, director of the Centre for Tobacco Control Research, added: ?I think this is advertising. Why a bar code? What is their explanation??

A spokesperson for the BBC, which broadcasts Formula One, said: ?We are confident that Formula One, and as a result our coverage of Formula One, is fully compliant with regulations.?

A Ferrari spokesman said: ?The bar code is part of the livery of the car, it is not part of a subliminal advertising campaign.?

Philip Morris, whose financial backing of Ferrari is in place until the end of next season, said: ?We are confident that our relationship with Ferrari does not violate the UK 2002 Tobacco Advertising and Promotion Act.

"The Formula One Grand Prix in the UK does not involve any race cars, team apparel, equipment or track signage carrying tobacco product branding. The same is true for all other Formula One races across the world.?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29042010/58/ferrari-spotlight-subliminal-tobacco-ads.html