2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Regarding the new Silverstone: I especially liked Bridge corner and the following left-hander on the old course, but the new layout looks quite nice too. Which is actually a change in comparison to all the other modern F1 tracks. And major +rep for them (if I could) for naming the corners instead of just numbering them.

Ohh for god's sake...
What the hell? They notice that just now? Are Ferrari supposed to give their cars a completely different paintjob? Besides, every tobacco-sponsored F1 team has done that since the ban was introduced, and not always so subtle as Ferrari does (the Benson & Hedges variant was actually funny, so you affiliate positive feelings with that brand).

A lap of the new Silverstone with Brundle commentary:

Seriously, what the fudge is with the Ferrari-Marlboro-subliminal-advertising hoohaa going on? Hasn't it been there for quite a while now? Why are these people suddenly kicking up such a fuss?

Subliminal advertising is a technique whereby consumers are reminded of a product without actually seeing it, and an expert said the Ferrari bar code had come increasingly to resemble a Marlboro packet.

You know, I can't help but get this feeling that some people (new fans or non-fans) may not actually have known that the barcode was associated with Marlboro, but now thanks to these doctors kicking up such a fuss people are gonna get all curious and they'll start reading up and go "OH! So that's what it is - Marlboro! I thought it was just some nice barcode logo thing."

Sorry if my post doesn't make any sense but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :x

I think the whole tobacco ban has been bad for F1 as a whole. It was tobacco advertising that made F1 boom, but now the fuss made about it is incredible :(

so whats this about tyres.... we got michelin, pirelli and cooper avon going for the contract.... but if michelin or pirelli get it then we're switching to 18 inch rims? that'll look stupid.

It'll look like an Escalade on 13 inchers...

Is that a good or bad thing?

I don't think it'll be too much of a disadvantage, if anything if it produces more mechanical grip then I'm for it.

I'd love to see Avons myself :p. I have a soft spot for them, remembering how they gave the UofT FSAE team a nice little advantage a few teams ago :lol:

I like the new changes. I expect Turn 11 is there to slow the cars up so that there is better chance of overtaking at the end of the National Straight.

Does that mean Gordon Ramsey will shout about it not being ok or properly made?

Prob not the right thread to put it in but...I just realised that today is that day again. Been so busy this morning I only just realised when I sat down at my computer.
So weird, I was only 7 (turning 8 later in the year) when it happened - but I still remember it being all over the news etc. It's only years later that I've realised just what the sport, and the world lost back in 1994. :cry:

Musn't forget about poor Roland Ratzenberger either. R.I.P.

Last edited:
Ok, so what happens if Michelin makes the tyre size 18" ? - Can the brakes be increased in size (rotor diameter) or is there a rule stopping this?

Agreed Zesty - Rip Ayrton + Roland

Last edited:
I belive this releates to F1 a bit, it's about Silverstone.

Autosport said:
Mixed response to new Silverstone

By Simon Strang Saturday, May 1st 2010, 11:37 GMT

The new 3.7-mile Silverstone 'Arena' Grand Prix track has received mixed reviews from drivers competing in this weekend's FIA GT World Championship round.

Some, like Aston Martin's Darren Turner and former GT1 Le Mans winner Oliver Gavin gave the new layout - which was originally designed to cater for the return of the British MotoGP in June ? a resounding thumbs up.

Others such as former Renault Formula 1 driver Romain Grosjean believed the track not as good as its predecessor.

"It's nothing special," said Grosjean ? who raced on the previous track in GP2. "We have lost Bridge and the complex which was very nice and we didn't gain much with the new part. I'm not a 100 per cent convinced.

"With the single-seater cars they are flat-out through Abbey and in Formula 1 it is going to be very fast as well. I don't think it gives any overtaking opportunities. So that's a bit a shame."

Sumo Nissan drivers Warren Hughes and Jamie Campbell-Walter added that they reckoned the new Village/Loop section following the fast Abbey section had broken up the flow of the track.

"I've got very mixed feelings simply because I really liked the old layout," said Hughes. "If I was driving here for the first time then maybe I would have a different perception. But for me they have taken away two really challenging corners at Bridge and Priory and replaced them with some good kinks but also a slow-speed section which is very frustrating.

"I'm not sure what that brings to the whole thing. It spoils the flow of the rest of the track. Abbey and the left kink afterwards are nice, you can get your teeth into them. The kink onto the national straight is nice as well, and Brooklands is good because you arrive at good speed ? it's just that fiddly bit really breaks up the flow."

Campbell-Walter was more outspoken: "They have got no excuses. They had an open field and they could have done what they liked, but they chose a stop-start chicane.

"I know they have compromised for the bikes, but what's to stop us using the old Bridge section and keep the new bit for the bikes?

"Basically the new home of the British Grand Prix is a track suited to bikes and I don't think that should be the case."

Turner however, who took pole position for the qualifying race, was delighted with the changes.

"It's good," he said. "It will be even better when they get rid of all the mud, because at the moment it's quite easy to drag that back on the track. But I like the corners and it's got bumps ? which is a good thing.

"There are a few on the entry of Abbey at the part of the track that you'd want to turn in, which makes the corner difficult."

Gavin echoed Turner's views adding that he felt it would add a new dimension to car racing at Silverstone.

"I think the circuit flows very nicely I'm very happy with it," he said. "It's got a nice combination of corners and some nice challenging stuff for us. There are two are three corners that are nearly flat and one or two that you have got to have a lot of commitment.

"The style of Silverstone has been carried on. The first right of Abbey and then the following left is a good combination and then heavy braking into Village.

"Surprisingly the Tarmac has got good grip, great for getting the power down and it is really unusual running on the national straight! You have got so used to racing under that Bridge. They have done a cracking job with it, I'm really very happy with it.

"I think that it is going to be a fantastic track not only for us, but for Formula 1, for MotoGP, they have really ticked all the boxes."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83243

I'm agreeing with Grosjean and the like, it breaks up the old flow, and losing Bridge is a massive loss in my opinion.

Well they'll be asked what layout they prefer and use it next year.

Also, RIP Ayrton and Roland. Always remembered!

The latest issue of Autoweek magazine noted the FIA might have some difficulty filling the 13th team slot next year. Prodrive and Lola have both informed the FIA that they are not interested in applying for the 2011 season. Stefan GP have expressed interest, however they no longer are linked with Toyota and have stated they will therefore create their own chassis and factory in Serbia. Durango have also stated they are interested, but they had to leave GP2 because they couldn't afford it, so how they intend to afford F1 is a mystery...