2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Did you watch Germany or Australia? That is the problem with Webber. In one race his drive is so impressive but then in another he makes a mistake after mistake. He is a good driver, probably even very good, but he isn't a great driver.

Oz was fucked up, trying too hard ala Herr Schumacher.

But in Germany, his car had problems, no ? Oil or something's temperature going way up the roof.

Did you watch Germany or Australia? That is the problem with Webber. In one race his drive is so impressive but then in another he makes a mistake after mistake. He is a good driver, probably even very good, but he isn't a great driver.

As opposed to Alonso or Vettel, who have flawless drives all the time? They both have had some atrocious drives this year and in years past, and its not all down to bad luck. Same goes for any driver really. Are you saying that there aren't ANY great drivers in F1 right now? Its arguable that compared to the greats like Senna and such that there might not be, but you can't really say since the cars, tech, rules, general situation, etc are completely different now. Just don't see how you can call Vettel, Alonso, or Hamilton "Great" drivers since they have been lucky and had good cars that they were able to pull a lot of performance out of in the career so far and then turn around and say that Webber and Button aren't the same way just because they have had bad luck until the last few years and haven't had a car that was competitive. Alonso didn't look like such a great driver when he went back to Renault after the McLaren stint. Vettel got lucky with his race win at Toro Rosso, but overall wasn't really pulling much more performance out of it then the guys that are on that team now. Just don't see your guys logic in decided "greatness".

I still don't know about Webber.... He's made 150 starts and only now is showing some brilliance. Normally those pilots we call 'great' start shining in their first to third year, most of them in uncompetitive teams and then making it to the top (others being plugged in straight into McLaren *cough*). I think Mark finds himself in a good car now and is taking advantage but I'd put him in the same group as Button.

And here come the flames of the mad brits and aussies :whistle:

I still don't know about Webber.... He's made 150 starts and only now is showing some brilliance. Normally those pilots we call 'great' start shining in their first to third year, most of them in uncompetitive teams and then making it to the top (others being plugged in straight into McLaren *cough*). I think Mark finds himself in a good car now and is taking advantage but I'd put him in the same group as Button.

And here come the flames of the mad brits and aussies :whistle:

Nah, I'd agree with that.

He showed some brilliance in the minardi, and generally in every team he had signs of brilliance - he's just been bogged down by constant mechanical problems and retirements - he was the most unlucky driver during this era. He used to be a great defensive driver too, but now he's gotten a bit too aggressive with it.

Same group as Button? Yeah I'd go with that. What I would say though, is that Vettel is also part of that group, and not part of the Alonso-Hamilton group, which is stronger. Sure, Vettel can be up there but because he still messes up so often he's just not in the same league. Yet, of course.

Same group as Button? Yeah I'd go with that. What I would say though, is that Vettel is also part of that group, and not part of the Alonso-Hamilton group, which is stronger. Sure, Vettel can be up there but because he still messes up so often he's just not in the same league. Yet, of course.

Well he won a race in what basically was a Minardi, and has shown a lot of eagerness and talent, but that's also his downfall. He's quite hot headed and emotional, but I still think he has a lot more natural talent than Webber.
The Webber-Button group for me is those experienced drivers that show a mature driving style of smoothness, patience and precision, and can win provided the right circumstances, but if those aren't perfectly right then they'll struggle. I put Barrichello in this group too, Trulli, Fisichella...

Last edited:
Well he won a race in what basically was a Minardi, and has shown a lot of eagerness and talent, but that's also his downfall. He's quite hot headed and emotional, but I still think he has a lot more natural talent than Webber.
The Webber-Button group for me is those experienced drivers that show a mature driving style of smoothness, patience and precision, and can win provided the right circumstances, but if those aren't perfectly right then they'll struggle. I put Barrichello in this group too, Trulli, Fisichella...

Ah OK I see what you mean. I was talking about overall goodness all things considered. But yeah, Vettel is definitely a different type of driver to Webber. What I'm basically saying is that although Vettel is quicker than the Webber-Barichello-Trulli-etc group, his inconsistency and emotions cancel that out and mean that really in the grand scale of things he's just as good as that group. I'm also saying that I'm starting to think Webber is rising above that group to which he seemingly belonged, as he has matched Vettel on speed alone several times. :)

I'm packing for Spa :D Leaving tomorrow morning. Do you guys know when they do their track walks? I'd like to see that...

I'll take as many pictures as I can for you guys ;)

I'm going too, tonight actually. Hoping to access the pit lane, it should be open after 3pm.

I'm packing for Spa :D Leaving tomorrow morning. Do you guys know when they do their track walks? I'd like to see that...

I'll take as many pictures as I can for you guys ;)

I'm going too, tonight actually. Hoping to access the pit lane, it should be open after 3pm.

Yeah in the afternoon it should be open tomorrow. I might see you there. Although I won't have any idea I'm seeing you. Obviously. :p

FIA to toughen up flexi-tests again

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, August 26th 2010, 08:53 GMT
1282813723.jpg
The FIA is to ramp up its flexi bodywork tests further for the Italian Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT has learned, in a move to stop teams gaining a potential unfair advantage.
Although it is widely known that the FIA is to increase the loads it uses to test deflection of the front wings from this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix, sources have revealed that even more action is to be taken for the next event in Monza.
Amid mounting speculation that the lower front wings observed on the Red Bull Racing and Ferrari cars are being put into use through clever flexing of the car's floor, rather than the wings flexing down themselves, the FIA is to introduce extra tests on the underside area of the car.
In a document sent to teams during the summer break by Charlie Whiting, FIA technical chiefs have been informed that extra tests are to take place on the floor of the chassis - especially in the 'tea tray' area at the front edge.
The teams have not been told exactly what the tests will be - only that they will take place 380mm behind the front wheel centre line at points 100mm either side of the car centre line.
Furthermore, it is understood that the FIA is to revise the regulations regarding skid blocks, to ensure that joints in this area do not allow freedom that could help the floor to flex.
From the Italian Grand Prix it is understood that the skid block can comprise of no more than two pieces, and that no piece of the skid block can be less than one metre long. A number of teams are understood to use several sections of skid block on the underside of their floor.
To further ensure teams are not deflecting the floor, from Monza all joints, bearing pivots and any other form of articulation must also be fixed.
The move by the FIA comes on the back of weeks of controversy about flexible front wings - with Red Bull Racing and Ferrari's designs having come under intense scrutiny.
At the Hungarian Grand Prix, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said he was surprised by what he had observed on the Red Bull Racing and Ferrari cars.
"Clearly no wing can be infinitely rigid, but there are limits to which they should be allowed to flex," he said. "If you try to explain what is happening, either you can explain it by hugely raked cars - but if you do simple geometry then the ride height would be over 100mm and there is no evidence of that being the case.
"Or you do it by some means of the outer edge of the wings lowering down by more than we expect. Or the front of the floor is moving up further than we expect, because that is another part of bodywork that is intended to be rigidly attached.
"In truth we don't understand it and maybe there is another way but I, as a fairly simple engineer, can't think of anything other than those three explanations. If there is another one then I will be happy to hear it. It is surprising.
"I think the FIA has got to take a view now of what is acceptable, and if it is acceptable, to get the endplates down. Every millimetre is about one point of downforce at the front, although it also improves the rear. So 25-30mm of vertical lowering of the endplates is one second [per lap], so it is fairly substantial."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86109
Good, I like how the FIA is acting these days.

As a tifosi, this is not our year. I'll say settle for 2nd at best, and roll on 2011. Eyebrow Man has to iron out his flaws, and Massa needs to gain back more mojo to 2008 Brazil levels.

As a tifosi, this is not our year. I'll say settle for 2nd 3rd at best, and roll on 2011. Eyebrow Man has to iron out his flaws, and Massa needs to gain back more mojo to 2008 Brazil levels.

FTFY :p

As a tifosi, this is not our year. I'll say settle for 2nd at best, and roll on 2011. Eyebrow Man has to iron out his flaws, and Massa needs to gain back more mojo to 2008 Brazil levels.

We can do this, our leading driver has confidence in this, so we must explain the lack of pace and carry out the countermeasures needed.

PR speak much?