2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

it's not solely up to bernie. our government just doesn't want to pay for sth which doesn't bring any profit. the spa grandprix hasn't made profit in ages!

sth else which i first wrote in the korean thread, but it doesn't belong there:

i don't realy understand people who support a team no matter what. a team is made out of people, who you like or don't. and when the people you like, change team, you should cheer for their new team.

i'm a hamilton fan, but i couldn't care less if he drives for McLaren, Sauber or Renault. the team he's driving for i will support.

anyone else who has the same view?

Formula 1 is a team sport and like in any other team sport it's normal that fans support their favourite team. Of course you can support a certain player if you want. I don't see anything weird in any of this approaches.

Do you think that if someone cheers for some football team (and not for footballer) is weird?

yes.

we are people, and we relate to and have sympathy for people, not instances

I disagree. I like a brand as much as a human. When I see a random person in the street, it gives me no emotion. If I see a random Ferrari, I nurse a semi.

People cheer for teams cos they're an institution of whatever sorts, it happens in every team sport, and sometimes heros in one team become the enemy when they transfer, like say Luis Figo when he left Barcelona to join Real Madrid, the Bar?a fans wanted to crucify him.
Yes we are people and people team up for whatever reasons, in these sports, and sometimes they leave and go to other teams for their reasons, too. Most of the times it's money and the desire to be a part of the best team, to be associated to the people who will give them the best chance of being successful, which is what counts after all.

So yeah some of us choose to support the teams in the wish of them being the best. Remember, a pilot can be as good as they get, but without the teams they're nothing. In F1, the teams are as important as the drivers. If you want to just support drivers you need to watch a spec formula series where all cars are the same, and pilot skill is the biggest factor.

edit: Forgot to mention teams are something that lasts for many years, that might be a factor...

Last edited:
Either you didn't read what he said or you didn't understand it.

No I've read it and understand that he is trying to fit more races in the new calender. What angers me is this:
Ecclestone has highlighted the ever-popular Spa as a possible drop-out.

?Absolutely,? said the man set to turn 80 next Thursday. ?If it wasn't supported by the government over there, it probably would go because they wouldn't be able to afford it

He just goes straight to Spa (in my opinion the best race track of the year) and says he might drop it. The key word is "Absolutely", just shows he has no heart.
I understand it's just the way he does business, but please if it's just the case of getting rid of races in order to fit in the crap new ones, then go threaten the already crap ones not the jewels of the calender.

yes.

we are people, and we relate to and have sympathy for people, not instances

I would never cheer for another Ice-hockey team than Bryn?s IF. I don't care who plays there or what leauge they play in.
I do follow other teams because a player i like plays there, Like Niklas B?ckstr?m in Washington, Anders Lindb?ck in Nashville or Jacob Markstr?m in Rochester (drafted by Florida), but that are all players from G?vle who played for Bryn?s.

And i don't really like Alonso, but i cheer for him anyway, because he drives a Ferrari! :D

No I've read it and understand that he is trying to fit more races in the new calender. What angers me is this:
Ecclestone has highlighted the ever-popular Spa as a possible drop-out.

?Absolutely,? said the man set to turn 80 next Thursday. ?If it wasn't supported by the government over there, it probably would go because they wouldn't be able to afford it

He just goes straight to Spa (in my opinion the best race track of the year) and says he might drop it. The key word is "Absolutely", just shows he has no heart.
I understand it's just the way he does business, but please if it's just the case of getting rid of races in order to fit in the crap new ones, then go threaten the already crap ones not the jewels of the calender.

He doesn't say he might drop it. He says that the track wouldn't be able to afford to run a race without government help. They are two completely different concepts.

F1 can't do without Spa. It's almost unanimously considered the best track on the calender and it delivers interesting races almost consistently. Taking a track like that off the current F1 calender would be Berny shooting himself in the leg and I have a feeling he knows that. He wouldn't dare.

F1 can't do without Spa. It's almost unanimously considered the best track on the calender and it delivers interesting races almost consistently. Taking a track like that off the current F1 calender would be Berny shooting himself in the leg and I have a feeling he knows that. He wouldn't dare.

Rubbish. How many people less would watch F1 because Spa wasn't on the calendar? Maybe 0.1%.

And Ecclestone is always talking about the spectacle and Spa has a spectacle every year without fail, he wouldn't dare take it off the calender because of how much action is in the race.

But sadly Peter is right. Dropping Spa would make less people go away from F1, than for example Korea or Russia make interested in F1. So even after such exchange F1 will be more popular (for a short term at least). They could make some big vote which will show that we don't need Valencia or Turkey. :p

Since Bernie said that 20 races is max (so maybe he will do 21) this topic will come back in the next years. With India next year we'll have 20, than there are USA and Russia. I'm sure more ideas will come (with Qatar and Rome already mentioned).

We have to remember that every race is a huge cost for the teams (especially small ones), that's why making more races will be so hard.

F1 needs a rotational calendar.

Since the 107% rule will be back next year I've made a list of 2010 qualifiers that were over 107% of the pole time.

Code:
GP		pole		107%		drivers out
Bahrain		1:54.101	2:02.0881	Senna, Chandhok
Australia	1:23.919	1:29.7933	di Grassi, Senna, Chandhok
Malaysia	1:49.327	1:56.9800	wet quali
China		1:34.558	1:41.1770	none
Spain		1:19.995	1:25.5947	Chandhok, Senna
Monaco		1:13.826	1:18.9938	Chandhok (Alonso didn?t set time)
Turkey		1:26.295	1:32.3357	none
Canada		1:15.105	1:20.3624	Chandhok
Europe		1:37.587	1:44.4180	none
Great Britain	1:29.615	1:35.8881	Chandhok, Yamamoto
Germany		1:13.791	1:18.9564	Yamamoto (di Grassi didn?t set time)
Hungary		1:18.773	1:24.2871	di Grassi, Senna, Yamamoto
Belgium		1:45.778	1:53.1820	wet quali
Italy		1:21.962	1:27.6993	none
Singapore	1:45.390	1:52.7670	Klien, Senna (Massa didn?t set time)
Japan		1:30.785	1:37.1400	Senna, Yamamoto
Korea		1:35.585	1:42.2760	di Grassi, Yamamoto, Senna

We have to remember that every race is a huge cost for the teams (especially small ones), that's why making more races will be so hard.

While this is true, sponsors would pay more if their brand was on a billion TVs (number of actual F1 watchers made up, just for the example) 20 times a year rather than 18. So if a team can make 18 they can make 20.