2010 Mazda3 revealed

Why do we need a saloon version of a car that is currently sold as a hatch only? It's not like there's any demand.

More importantly, why does the Japanese version of any Mazda have to have a ridiculously spelt name that makes you think for a few seconds before pronouncing it?

I like it though.

Why do we need a saloon version of a car that is currently sold as a hatch only? It's not like there's any demand.

More importantly, why does the Japanese version of any Mazda have to have a ridiculously spelt name that makes you think for a few seconds before pronouncing it?

I like it though.

the Mazda 3 is currently sold as a hatch only~? please enlighten me as it always had a saloon version right from the beginning, or are you talking about something regarding a specific country~?

and why does its name in Japan bother you if you're only going to get something called Mazda 3 instead of whatever name they're using over there~? but there are many Japanese car model's name that would make you think at least twice before pronouncing it anyway, wait till you see the loooonnnnnggggggggg list of different Toyotas available there...:lol:

anyway, back to the car itself, if that bootlid is going to be so tiny anyway, shouldn't they just made it as a sports hatch (kinda like the Mazda 6), surely that had make more sense~?
the Mazda 3 sedan, yes it would have a bigger boot than the hatch, just that it's quite hard to get big pieces of stuff into there.

The Mazda 3 sedan is very rare. Europeans buy hatchbacks.

^Well that's very nice, but it is not rare over here in the colony's where it sells very well. There is still a bit of a stigma against hatchbacks here.

Anyway, I think this looks great! My girlfriend leases a Mazda 3 and might trade it in for a new one soon, so I'm glad to see that the new one is going to be quite nice :).

But lets see some interior pics!

what's this stigma against sedans? Honestly don't understand why the sedan sells when the hatch is better in every way.

Edit: I meant hatches.

Last edited:
^ Uhh... don't you mean stigma against hatches?

I would guess that around here there balance of 3 hatches to sedans is probably 35/65. The main reason for buying a sedan over a hatch is that the hatches start at $1000 more, and of course in North America most people only care about how cheaply they can get a car. But yeah, I agree, I don't know why anyone would want a sedan over a hatch, the hatches look much better.

Looks are subjective but practicality is not which is why sedans dont sell. Cars are expensive investments no matter which car you choose and wagons and hatches are much easier to live with.

Looks are subjective but practicality is not which is why sedans dont sell. Cars are expensive investments no matter which car you choose and wagons and hatches are much easier to live with.
I love my wagon, and that's saying a lot considering it's a bleeding ford taurus... The ugliest of the designs as well. Most of my friends own a hatch or wagon for daily use, and most people I know prefer a wagon to an SUV.

The front actually reminds me of the RX-8 quite a lot. The back reminds me of the last-gen Mazda6 MPS, but I can't stand those tail lights. Same story on the new 6.

I used to like Mazda quite a lot, but I'm finding the new styling a bit much. The CX-7/9 is easily the worst of the lot though.

In the US, only the sedan is available with the smaller 2.0 engine and cheaper "iSport" interior. Once you get into the wagon, it's only available with the 2.3 and the higher "Sport" trim level. The sedans start at $13,895 and the wagons start at $17,995. That's a $4,100 difference for the base model of each body style. Once you get into similarly spec'd vehicles, the wagon is about $500 more than the sedan.

I have to say, as far as small sedans go, it's the best looking of them all. I mean, it's competition: Kia Spectra, Nissan Versa sedan or Sentra? Gag. Honda Civic? I'm indifferent about the coupe styling, but the sedan is gawdawful. Focus? No way on that, as it would be the US Focus, which is damn ugly.

Sorry NJ, but you guys are getting a raw deal by the sound of it.
We get both, the whole way through the model range.

Hatch and Sedan cost the same, and we get four models; two with the 2L petrol engine, one with the 2.3 and one with a 2L diesel engine.
All available in hatch and sedan for the same price, except the MPS(MazdaSpeed) version, which is hatch only.

In Canada, our 3s start at $14,895 (a grand more compared to our neighbours) for the sedan. Thankfully, the wagons are only marginally more expensive at $15,895 (both come with the 2.0L petrol four) which isn't too bad I reckon. The wagon does offer more style and practicality for that extra grand. For some reason, our "Sport" (hatch) model is available with the base 2.0L engine, which I find pretty good.

Last edited:
Both Hatch and Sedan are sold over here, the Sedans look a bit funny, but the hatch is where it's at! I want to see the hatch before I make my final decision.

And bring on the MPS/Mazdaspeed version!

"hai guys!"

It looked great in those pictures... but as usual... sometimes things are too good to be true...

01_mazda3_live_la.jpg

/facepalm

awesome_med.png

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2008/07/25/ohhaiguysplane.jpg