2010 Paris Motor Show: Opel GTC Paris Concept

Kowalski

You've got to love Opel. I mean they are so predictable it's not even funny.

Hey Opel! We know this is the new 3-door Astra OK? We know... And we know there will be a Vauxhall version as well.

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-1.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-3.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-13.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-12.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-11.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-10.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-9.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-8.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-4.JPG

Opel-Astra-GTC-Paris-Concept-2.JPG

Looks good doesn't it? At least I think so.

Anyway, I can predict the choice of versions; there will a cheapskate alternative: Exclusiv. There will be a "value for money" alternative: SE. The heavy depreciation "luxurious" alternative: Elite. The pseudo sporty alternative: SRI. And finally the mentalist alternative: VXR (OPC).

The choice of engine is predictable too.

Two gutless naturally aspirated 16 valve engines: 1.4 and 1.6. Three raucous turbocharged 16 valve engines: 1.4 with 122 and 140 bhp and a 1.6 16v with 180 bhp. Then a 1.3, 1.7 and 2.0 16v turbodiesel with 90, 110 and 160 bhp respectively and obviously the diesels will offer the EcoFLEX package.

Oh yes and predictable choices of gearboxes: 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic.

But here's something that's not so predictable; the VXR (OPC) version will have a turbocharged 2.0 litre 300 bhp engine and four-wheel-drive. Nice!

The rest, however, is pretty much predictable really.

It will make to the production line, but it won't have these LED lights, it won't have these rather cool looking wheels, those bucket seats will only be available in the more expensive sporty version, 90% of them will be the SRI version with a clattery diesel under the bonnet and you don't want one because it's an Opel or Vauxhall for that matter.

Car:
But it?s still front-wheel-drive, right?
Yep. Unlike the continent-crossing Insignia VXR, all that horsepower will be channelled through the front wheels. Thing is, the current Astra VXR is already an intimidating thing to drive, and you wouldn?t think that shovelling more power under the bonnet is the best of ideas; however, the new car will be making use of Vauxhall?s suspension geometry called HiPerStrut. This, says GM, ought to lessen the effects of torque-steer, and with it the chances of any nasty hedge-related incidents.

I think the LED lights will stay. Designers love LED lights. And when this model is launched (2011) DRL's will be mandatory all across the EU (finally), LED's are a cheap way of doing that. I don't like renders though. I like photos. Give me some photos.

Looks awesome. Way better than the 3-door Golf and the Scirocco.

the only thing thats better about this than the Scirocco is the 300 hp and four wheel drive

the only thing thats better about this than the Scirocco is the 300 hp and four wheel drive

It won't have four-wheel-drive nor 300 bhp. It will be front-wheel-drive and 290 bhp, but it will have a front suspension setup similar to the Focus RS front suspension.

Actually, a couple of people rates the Scirocco R higher than the Focus RS when it comes to dynamics.

That aggressive swooping rear roof line is really popular now days and so are those wrap around LED light clusters at the back, in fact, I'd say LED lighting is like the Helvetica of the car design world.

LED lights work and serve a purpose therefore they equal Helvetica, daytime running lights, as said by Cold Fussion, are more like comic sans in that it doesn't really serve a purpose

Unsurprisingly, scientific research have shown that increased visibility of motor vehicles increases road safety, regardless of the exterior light conditions. As such the European Union have decided to introduce daytime running lights on all passenger cars sold within the union from 7 february 2011. And frankly, the United Kingdom is awash in a gloomy, foggy, rainy and dark light conditions and filled with people who have no idea how to turn on the lights.

The EU should have put their foot down on this years ago. Now that they're done with this, maybe they can start working on mandating ESP on all cars. Should be a no-brainer, yet the european average of new cars equipped with ESP is only 60%, and it has actually gone down in recent years due to france, where only 41% of new cars (=Dacias) have ESP. The figures for Sweden, Germany and Spain are 99%, 80% and 72% respectively.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/09/09/Nemotipp_481.jpg
Shortly before bursting into flames.

Last edited:
The EU should have put their foot down on this years ago. Now that they're done with this, maybe they can start working on mandating ESP on all cars. Should be a no-brainer, yet the european average of new cars equipped with ESP is only 60%, and it has actually gone down in recent years due to france, where only 41% of new cars (=Dacias) have ESP. The figures for Sweden, Germany and Spain are 99%, 80% and 72% respectively.

I'm sorry but ESP makes for lazy drivers who don't actually bother to learn about car control, which leads to more careless driving.

I'm sorry but ESP makes for lazy drivers who don't actually bother to learn about car control, which leads to more careless driving.

I'm sorry but that is just a bunch of horse excrement. ESP helps average drivers stay away from ditches and lampposts, because it helps to control the car when...well....control has been lost.The average soccer mom or insurance salesman dad doesn't know or doesn't care to know about opposite lock and catching the slide. What they want to do is go from A to B in relative comfort and ease. That's it.

Hell you don't even notice the existence of ESP until it is necessary. Yes, some manufacturers have overly sensitive ESPs in their cars, but that's hardly a bad thing for the majority of consumers. For the enthusiast yes, ESP ruins everything but the fact of the matter is that ESP saves lives in a way which doesn't affect other road users one bit, like say speed cameras do, and therefore I can only approve.

Give the average working person an E34 M5 and an E60 M5, put them on a slippery test track and see which car can be found from the gravel pit...it'll be the E34 with it's lack of assisted anything despite being almost 200hp down on power compared to the newer one. The E60 just so happens to have computers to guide even the most hamfisted of idiots to safety in treacherous conditions.

ESP makes for careless driving....honestly...

Last edited:
That's all well and true when people drive as they would in a non-ESP car.
But then there are the idiots who know nothing about cars and controlling them, most often don't even really understand how the safety systems work, and just think "herp derp I've got ESP and ABS, I can do what I want, I'm invincible!"...