2010 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix

I do think that BMW has given Peter Sauber a car that is only a little bit better than the F1.09.

BMW pulled out from F1 already. They didn't give Sauber anything, apart from the half developed 2010 chassis. and the shares.

I didn't read all 11 pages of this thread so please don't neg. rep me, but I feel bad for Alonso...I mean 1.5 laps left and then the trans/clutch gives out. On another note though I am glad Vettel finally got his podium.

^ Read back the last page or two. The clutch didn't give out at the end, it gave out on the formation lap. Alonso drove (nearly) the entire race with no clutch and kept it at a very competitive pace. Phenomenal driving.

^ Read back the last page or two. The clutch didn't give out at the end, it gave out on the formation lap. Alonso drove (nearly) the entire race with no clutch and kept it at a very competitive pace. Phenomenal driving.

what do you need a clutch for on an F1 car? afaik it was only used for taking off from the line (or in the pits)...

what do you need a clutch for on an F1 car? afaik it was only used for taking off from the line (or in the pits)...

For changing gear. Although it's actuated automatically, so the driver is not using it after the start (although I'm staggered ALO made a pitstop with no issues with a broken clutch). The clutch has to be operated at least for a fraction of a second in order to force the gearchanges through.

Last edited:
For changing gear. Although it's actuated automatically, so the driver is not using it after the start (although I'm staggered ALO made a pitstop with no issues with a broken clutch). The clutch has to be operated at least for a fraction of a second in order to force the gearchanges through.

Are you absolutely sure about that? You don't need to use the clutch at all to shift up and down on a normal sequential box, and I would be very surprised if F1 'boxes were different.

Are you absolutely sure about that? You don't need to use the clutch at all to shift up and down on a normal sequential box, and I would be very surprised if F1 'boxes were different.

Well the clutch has to be operated if the car is not running a seamless shift system, but I didn't say that it has to be operated by the driver. :) From what I know, it is operated for a few miliseconds until the next gear is selected.

you don't press the pedal, but the computer engages the clutch on the appropriate moment

when i made my initial comment, i hadn't thought of that either...

Well the clutch has to be operated if the car is not running a seamless shift system, but I didn't say that it has to be operated by the driver. :) From what I know, it is operated for a few miliseconds until the next gear is selected.

I'm still not sure. On a motorbike you don't need the clutch to up or down change at all. The box will happily change without it with you just coming off the power slightly. From my understanding an F1 box isn't that far removed and I doubt the clutch is ever operated at all, by anything, when the car is in motion, although I can see it being used to smooth down changes slightly.

I think we can safely say that the clutch is operated upon gearshifts on the Ferrari F10's transmission and that we're not 100% sure about the clutch actuation on all the F1 cars, since there are various kinds of gearshift systems employed by various teams / gearbox manufacturers.

I'm still not sure. On a motorbike you don't need the clutch to up or down change at all. The box will happily change without it with you just coming off the power slightly. From my understanding an F1 box isn't that far removed and I doubt the clutch is ever operated at all, by anything, when the car is in motion, although I can see it being used to smooth down changes slightly.

from f1technicals.net

They are multi-plate designs that are designed to give enhanced engine pick-up and the lightweight deigns mean that they have low inertia, allowing faster gear changes. The drivers do not manually use the clutch apart from moving off from standstill, and when changing up the gears, they simply press a lever behind the wheel to move to the next ratio. The on-board computer automatically cuts the engine, depresses the clutch and switches ratios in the blink of an eye.

and afaik in motogp and the like, they don't use the clutch for upshifting, but they do for downshifting...

EDIT

Use of the clutch when changing up is not necessary on many modern bikes. GP bikes also use an ignition cutout so that you do not have to throttle down during up change it cuts the spark for a fraction of a second when you change gear. The clutch is nearly always neccesary when changing down.

source: not trustworthy...

I think we can safely say that the clutch is operated upon gearshifts on the Ferrari F10's transmission and that we're not 100% sure about the clutch actuation on all the F1 cars, since there are various kinds of gearshift systems employed by various teams / gearbox manufacturers.

After reading on the subject, it appears that the clutch is used on down shifts but not on up. The box can still change down without problem, but it won't be as smooth with no clutch. Setting off from a stand still isn't that much of a problem in the dry, you just lose a bit of control, making it hard to "hook it up".

BMW pulled out from F1 already. They didn't give Sauber anything, apart from the half developed 2010 chassis. and the shares.

As far as I know, most of the car is BMW developed. I'm pretty sure on that.

I'd imagine the tub and basic suspension designs and setups were made by BMW, but the aero package and manufacturer are down to Sauber. And with his team trying to get to the grid, I doubt it was developed much beyond the basic.

I can't remember what lap the Hamilton weaving was on, so I haven't had a chance to re watch it. But I think it was a fair call by the stewards. The rule is pretty clear cut in my opinion. You can move once of your line, and then stick to it. Whether thats a weave, or a swerve or just a slow movement across the track, it doesn't matter. One move, and you stay there until you get to the corner, or you have been overtaken. By memory, Hamilton moved across the track, side to side, 4 times? I think the stewards were dead right and called it perfectly. No punishment, just a warning. Even if it was to avoid Petrov getting into the slipstream, it was still breaking the rules.
I did have a laugh about it though. :)

can anyone explain me why that is forbidden?