2011 24 Heures du Mans - 79th Grand Prix d'Endurance, June 11-12 - Race Week Thread

^Danish commentators said it most likely was a fault with the car that caused it.

I wouldn't be surprised, #5 has been troublesome since the start.

Also the first hybrid car :)
- Elgaard is usually not a driver that spins the car under a yellow flag period ;)

yay racing again. fell asleep during the F1 qualifying and early hours of the race entering the night period. that 2nd audi crash was just as horrific as the first one. =S

Here's hoping that the remaining Audi stays unharmed!

Seeing the two Audi crashes coud have been avoided, I think it would be a good idea to implement some sort of aproachwarning on the cars. Since every car should have a transponder anyway, why not use the info incar? On a sprint race the engineers give that info, but in an endurance race with so many participants it can get hard to get a grip on. Especially if after some minutes it still wasn't clear which car is out. A mere amped up parking sensor wouldn't work, because the walls get closer anyway. So if you equip the GTs with an LMP warning, acoustically or visually, maybe at least the second accident could have been avoided.

Sorry for the incoherent mess, I might have followed the advice to grab a new beer a bit too often.

They use a 'Sentinel' system on Dakar racers to warn of a faster vehicle approaching, but that's with wide open spaces and at lower speeds. I'm not sure the drivers would be able to react in time with these beasts.

Leading LMP2 car going in the garage...

The Eurosport presenters had a good argument about the overtaking.

Just noticed how much faster the Corvette is running compared to the Porsche and Ferrari in 2 and 3...

Any vids of the incident that took out the Astons? I've heard about it a couple times and now my morbid curiosity is getting the best of me.