Spied: 2011 BMW 5-Series (spy shots)

Homer_Bart

Car(s)
2007 BMW 320i
More details of the next generation BMW 5 series are emerging.

The development 5 series, stealthily referred to as the F10 in BMW code language, will arrive as a 2011 model sometime in late 2010, we hope. And it will see BMW go very turbo, as it begins to rely on turbocharging to maintain or increase power while keeping the weight down. Although the car will also be slightly larger, BMW will be keeping the body mass down with the use of aluminum body panels in the roof, fenders and other body panels.

The wheelbase will grow a few centimeters but no exact measurements are available on that yet. The MacPherson struts are gone, replaced by a control-arm front suspension.

The range of engines available for the 5 series will include a 3.0 liter, twin-turbo, straight six banger for the 540i. The 550i will come with a 4.4 liter twin-turbo boosted V8. There's also a twin-turbo clean diesel coming and the M5 will be knocked back to a turbo V8 from its current V10 excess.

There'll also be hybrid offerings for the new 5 series which BMW will be testing the market with first in the upcoming X6 and 7 series.

For options packages, you can look at the current 7 series for a glimpse of the future, which includes adaptive damping, integral steering, side-view cameras, and a night vision aid for recognizing pedestrians in the dark.

The F10 will be sharing a platform with the 7 series and the next generation 6 series. BMW calls this a backbone rather than a platform and bases its backbone architecture on the firewall, suspension and floor in various wheelbase configurations. Which doesn't do much to dissuade us from believing that the BMW 5 series is just a 7 series shrunk down a couple of notches. Or maybe it's the other way around.

9080725_001_1L2.jpg

9080703_002_Mini1L2.jpg

9080703_002_Mini3L2.jpg

9080703_002_Mini4L2.jpg

9080703_002_Mini6L2.jpg

It looks very angry to be a BMW.

It looks very angry to be a BMW.

I'll second that.

I like the 5 series alot as far as ride quality and driving goes but I had an ex with one and it was in the shop more then in our drive way.

With iDrive fixed in newer BM's and their styling getting back on track - hopefully this will be a return to form for the 5-Series badge. The current one just looks so ugly compared to the old one. They better refrain from run-flats though....

Can't tell a damn thing with that camo' on.

The current model has really grown on me, particularly with a decent sized set of wheels on it.

The current model has really grown on me, particularly with a decent sized set of wheels on it.

Second that, and it's in best form with the optional M Sport bodykit (M5 lookalike)

It looks like a dangerous car...did you notice the red hammers to break windows in that interior pic?
... no ... but as he seems to be taking it around the ring, a rather clever thing to have with you ... as you are driving a prototype at the limit, something unexpecting might happen, you might roll it, the damn thing might catch fire (and kill it self for being ugly) and you?ll have to break a window to get out ...

please, please BMW don't make it look like that first render.
Looks like the current 5 with botched plastic surgery.

The car looks very mean lol. But turbo V8 instead of V10 in future M5? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

E60 FOREVER!! :cheers:

That first picture just looks like it's cock-eyed

and the M5 will be knocked back to a turbo V8 from its current V10 excess.

I find that rather hard to believe.

Is it just me or does that render make it looks HUGE. The rear end is way to high up and overall the car seems way too tall.

I swear I've seen those spyshots months ago...

And I actually quite like the idea of a Turbo V8...no hang on...Twin-Turbo V8.

That render shot doesn't even look like the spy shots. The spy shots show a promising styling with nice lines, but that render is just hideous. Please BMW, don't make it look like that render!