2011 Car Launches Thread

bone

"bangle for president"
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
i think plenty here follow scarbsF1 on twitter...

what's the V-nose he's talking about on each car? what part is shaped into a V? i don't see it...

fusen

i think plenty here follow scarbsF1 on twitter...

what's the V-nose he's talking about on each car? what part is shaped into a V? i don't see it...

http://twitpic.com/3veqrj it's the way the sides of the nose are raised compared to the middle, it's more like a U with short sides than a V though :p

GraemeH

Car(s)
Toyota Corolla, Lexus IS200, BMW E39 5 Series.
I believe the speculation on the BBC was that the front exit exhausts were to speed up the airflow under the car (increasing the ground effect), and they expect McLaren to have a similar trick. We'll see - it could turn out to be this years double-diffuser at a stretch.

That Red Bull rear wing is really aesthetically pleasing.

Zesty

Not A Dude
Car(s)
05 Honda Jazz VTi-S
So, this is where banning things like DD's is actually a brilliant idea? It gives engineers the incentive the work around it... and this what we get. The Red Bull and both Lotuseseses (LOL) are the best open wheeler pr0n I've seen in F1 for ages. :drool:

Susurrate

Car(s)
Civic
According to Scarbs RBR were running an exhaust blown diffuser today which exploits a loop hole in the rules which allows holes in the outer section of the floor.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
What i find interesting is that, at least in midfield, the 2010 cars seem to be as fast or faster than the 2011 ones, if you look at the times posted by McLaren, Force India and, most impressively, Virgin.

settler

Car(s)
VW Corrado VR6
These are just first tests. So comparing the times is pointless.

Look for example at McL and HRT (both 2010 cars). There are 0.1s apart and if I remember that wasn't the case during the season. :p

bone

"bangle for president"
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
glock has already done 73 laps in his virgin...if they keep up that tempo over all testing days...they'll have more laps during testing than they achieved during racing last year :lol:

(anyone else having trouble keeping up with twitter? they are tweeting faster than i can read, and i actually have to work :|)

Last edited:

settler

Car(s)
VW Corrado VR6
Look for example at McL and HRT (both 2010 cars). There are 0.1s apart and if I remember that wasn't the case during the season. :p

Looks like that wasn't a good example, because today it occurred that time wasn't correct. It was effect of some error of a timing equipment on the track.
Nevertheless point stands. These are just tests.

Last edited:

Peter3hg

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Honda Hornet CB600S
McLaren launch at 11am today. I expect a lot of McLaren fans are going to be disappointed as they seem to have hyped this up as some amazing innovative car, despite not knowing anything about it.

Red_Bull

Gives you wings?
Car(s)
Holden Commodore SV6 MY14
You mean the 68 page thread on Autosport full of clueless fanboys who, like the yappiest dog, will chase after anything you throw at it. They're the ones who are believing their own hype. I dont think there'll be much on the new car that we havent already seen.

su_hy

I am not a McLaren fan at all, but I hope they at least make a good looking car like they did last year ;) And it could be a little bit slower then Lotus Renault as I support Kubica :lol:

vikiradTG2007

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Working on it

ahpadt

Forum Addict
*watching McLaren livestream*

EDIT: This is... disappointing.

Last edited: