2011 Car Launches Thread

i think plenty here follow scarbsF1 on twitter...

what's the V-nose he's talking about on each car? what part is shaped into a V? i don't see it...

i think plenty here follow scarbsF1 on twitter...

what's the V-nose he's talking about on each car? what part is shaped into a V? i don't see it...

http://twitpic.com/3veqrj it's the way the sides of the nose are raised compared to the middle, it's more like a U with short sides than a V though :p

I believe the speculation on the BBC was that the front exit exhausts were to speed up the airflow under the car (increasing the ground effect), and they expect McLaren to have a similar trick. We'll see - it could turn out to be this years double-diffuser at a stretch.

That Red Bull rear wing is really aesthetically pleasing.

So, this is where banning things like DD's is actually a brilliant idea? It gives engineers the incentive the work around it... and this what we get. The Red Bull and both Lotuseseses (LOL) are the best open wheeler pr0n I've seen in F1 for ages. :drool:

According to Scarbs RBR were running an exhaust blown diffuser today which exploits a loop hole in the rules which allows holes in the outer section of the floor.

What i find interesting is that, at least in midfield, the 2010 cars seem to be as fast or faster than the 2011 ones, if you look at the times posted by McLaren, Force India and, most impressively, Virgin.

These are just first tests. So comparing the times is pointless.

Look for example at McL and HRT (both 2010 cars). There are 0.1s apart and if I remember that wasn't the case during the season. :p

glock has already done 73 laps in his virgin...if they keep up that tempo over all testing days...they'll have more laps during testing than they achieved during racing last year :lol:

(anyone else having trouble keeping up with twitter? they are tweeting faster than i can read, and i actually have to work :|)

Last edited:
Look for example at McL and HRT (both 2010 cars). There are 0.1s apart and if I remember that wasn't the case during the season. :p

Looks like that wasn't a good example, because today it occurred that time wasn't correct. It was effect of some error of a timing equipment on the track.
Nevertheless point stands. These are just tests.

Last edited:
McLaren launch at 11am today. I expect a lot of McLaren fans are going to be disappointed as they seem to have hyped this up as some amazing innovative car, despite not knowing anything about it.

You mean the 68 page thread on Autosport full of clueless fanboys who, like the yappiest dog, will chase after anything you throw at it. They're the ones who are believing their own hype. I dont think there'll be much on the new car that we havent already seen.

I am not a McLaren fan at all, but I hope they at least make a good looking car like they did last year ;) And it could be a little bit slower then Lotus Renault as I support Kubica :lol:

*watching McLaren livestream*

EDIT: This is... disappointing.

Last edited: