2011 Car Launches Thread

Tim Goss - we do not intend to test or race the exhaust seen on the car at the launch - FEE fully expected
web ? 04.02.11 13:45
retweeted by @ScarbsF1

Edit: LOL many of the internals on the show car were made in plastic, engine and exhaust included

Last edited:
It certainly looks interesting. A lot of people say ugly, but I kind of like it, it's different.
The exhaust point is something else too...

This season is very interesting so far, hope it keeps the trend!

I don't think that's the exhaust.

according to scarbsF1 it's an outlet for the oil cooler...

The tyres only last for around 10 laps, and making them last longer is quite a challenge.

10 laps?? that's it? they'll spend more time in the pits than on the track!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89288

Last edited:
Tim Goss - we do not intend to test or race the exhaust seen on the car at the launch - FEE fully expected
web ? 04.02.11 13:45
retweeted by @ScarbsF1

Edit: LOL many of the internals on the show car were made in plastic, engine and exhaust included

I'm no tech guru, but plastic is probably not the way for 2011 ;)

If I were in charge, I'd present some complete bullshit car with three F-ducts, a front diffuser, and bolt the rear wing on backwards, then watch the message boards around the world explode :p

Those sidepods are horrendously ugly and the rear looks bulky. We'll have to see how it performs on the track. For all we know it could lap the field 3 times come Bahrain.

10 laps?? that's it? they'll spend more time in the pits than on the track!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89288

Yes, Pirelli specifically developed their tyres to be less durable than the Bridgestones, to increase the spectacle (more pitstops = better show. Well, according to them anyway...).

Last edited:
10 laps?? wow... I'm all for tyres that don't last for a whole race like last year but 10 laps is a bit ridiculous...

So i'm starting to think the thing under the nose is a pair of massive vortex generators. The question is, where do these vorticies end up... under the car, along the sidepods???

Last edited:
THIS! is what an F1 car is supposed to look like!

Well prize goes to McLaren for most interesting car so far. Love those sidepods, will be interesting to see if its simply a styling exercise (i.e. making the air go round or over the top is simply 6 of one and half a dozen of the other) or actually has meaningful benefit.

Also, what is the second air box for? I assume its for cooling? did they make the side pods too small and then had to open up somewhere else to get the necessary air in?

Maybe it's because of that shape, but sidepods look quite big. That's surprise after last year.

Its clearly a cooler for the gearbox oil and the exhaust on the rear is the exit for that. In the pic i posted the radiator that air is flowing into can be clearly seen above the gearbox.

It looks interesting, I actually like how it looks. I think the axe shaped side pod is the unique feature.