2011 Chevy Cruze: First productions photos

Dsemaj

Car(s)
2003 Urabus Impreza WRX, 1997 Fraud Falcs EL Wagon
Even though it's not a complete surprise to what it actually looks like, here's the first production shots of the 2011 Chevy Cruze. It's a definite improvement on the Dae..Chevy Lacetti. It seems a bit of nothing at the moment, but I guess it's at least sort of bold..

000_11chevycruze.jpg

001_11chevycruze.jpg

002_11chevycruze.jpg

The only thing that boggles me is.. why the hell have they released photos now? Isn't it due to be release for at least a year or two? Product hype anyone? Well.. not anymore.

EDIT: IF there's any gramatical errors.. I have a horrible flu.. so yeah!

I, for one, like where Chevy's design is heading these days. Not that I want to buy one...

And why are they releasing photos now? Same reason for the Volt teaser, probably, gotta give their investors hope for the future so they'll keep giving Chevrolet the monehs.

The front has personality, but the back is ultra boring.

EDIT: The back is copy/paste from the VW Jetta.

Last edited:
It looks pretty good right now, but it seems like it would look dated in two years.

I like the way it looks for the most part. A HUGE step above the cobalt. The cobalt is so old and boring looking I couldn't consider it regardless of how good it may drive.

Let?s get this straight ... will this be sold in America as a Chevrolet or in the Rest of the World as a "Chevrolet" aka Daewoo? From the German-plates I?m guessing (fearing) the latter.

Apart from Korean GM-crap being sold here under a prestigious american name - something I don?t approve of, I think it?s close to fraud - it doesn?t look that bad, does it? I like the new Grill ... and though all the rest of the design is stolen together of all kinds of cars ... it somehow works ...

Got news for you - Chevrolet is NOT a prestigious badge, even within GM. It's their lowest nameplate.

This Euro fascination with badges and nameplates is quite funny from over here.

Let?s get this straight ... will this be sold in America as a Chevrolet or in the Rest of the World as a "Chevrolet" aka Daewoo? From the German-plates I?m guessing (fearing) the latter.

It will be sold as the Chevrolet Cruze in both North America and Europe replacing both the Cobalt and Lacetti.

Apart from Korean GM-crap being sold here under a prestigious american name - something I don?t approve of, I think it?s close to fraud - it doesn?t look that bad, does it? I like the new Grill ... and though all the rest of the design is stolen together of all kinds of cars ... it somehow works ...

The only time Chevrolet wasn't the lowest GM brand was when Daewoo branded cars were sold in the US.

They're here! The first official pics of the 2011 Chevy Cruze have been released by General Motors, and we're not ashamed to say it ? we like it. Of course, we're comparing it to the current small car in GM's lineup, the Cobalt, so the bar is pretty low. That said, GM's new small car takes the split-grille motif made famous by the Malibu and makes it more interesting with sharp creases rather than rounded corners. The front end features headlights that extend up and "point" to the A-pillars, and a strong character line running the length of the vehicle sits below a concave bend that sweeps up to meet the windows.

GM claims that fit and finish of the Cruze will be world class for a small car, and that its interior will use "grained surfaces, soft-touch materials and low gloss trim panels" to improve its perceived quality. Unfortunately, no shots of the interior were provided, but you can catch a glimpse in this rear 3/4 shot.

The Cruze will be a global car, and as such it's going on sale in Europe first. It will makes its global debut at the Paris Motor Show in October, where European customers will be the first to check it out in person before it goes on sale in March 2009 overseas. It will be available at launch with a 112-hp 1.6L engine, a 140-hp 1.8L and a 150-hp 2.0L turbodiesel. The North American version will likely get GM's upcoming direct injected 1.4L four-cylinder. The Cruze will also offer a five-speed manual and GM's first application of a six-speed automatic in a small car.

The kicker? The 2011 Chevy Cruze will be built at GM's plant in Lordstown, OH where the current Cobalt and Pontiac G5 are built. Though it'll be built right in our own backyard, the Cruze reportedly won't be available in the U.S. for at least a year or two.

[Source: GM]

PRESS RELEASE

All-New Chevrolet Cruze Features Dramatic Design

Detroit - The first photographs of Chevrolet's all-new Cruze sedan - making its world premiere at the Paris Motor Show in October - reveal a dynamic four-door coupe that proves exciting design and value are not mutually exclusive.

On sale beginning in Europe from March next year, Cruze features a dramatic re-interpretation of the traditional sedan featuring Chevrolet's new global design language that is becoming a signature on all new products carrying the gold bowtie.

Cruze's arching roof-line, extending from the steeply raked windshield to its sloping rear pillars and short rear deck, brings coupe-like proportions to a compact sedan.

Wider and longer than most of its competitors, Cruze has a purposeful stance with its wheels located at the outer edges of the tautly drawn bodywork. Noticeably tight body panel fits and a restrained use of exterior trim add to a high quality, 'hewn from solid' appearance.

Cruze's dramatic profile is matched by bold front styling, with large headlamp housings that wrap around the front corners and sweep up, arrow-like, into the fenders and sculpted hood. Other distinct design themes include a concave shoulder line, the two-tier grille and a "wheels-out/body-in" stance. Inside, Cruze features a 'twin cockpit' design motif, first introduced in the iconic Corvette sports car.

"Our goal in designing Cruze was to be bold, not evolutionary," says chief designer Taewan Kim. "We wanted to take a big step forward, making a strong design statement for Chevrolet products around the world."

Visitors to the Paris show will see how Chevrolet's progressive design is also reflected in the quality of Cruze's interior. The use of grained surfaces, soft-touch materials and low gloss trim panels ensures a quality ambience that echoes the clean, harmonious design of the exterior.

At launch in Europe, Cruze will be available with 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp/82 kW) and 1.8-liter (140 hp/103 kW) gasoline engines featuring variable valve timing (VVT) on both inlet and exhaust sides, giving more power as well as better fuel economy and lower emissions. A new 2.0-liter turbo diesel, developing 150 hp/ 110 kW and 320 Nm of torque adds power with even greater frugality. Five-speed manual gearboxes and an all-new automatic transmission, Chevrolet's first six-speed application in the compact segment, complete the powertrain menu.

With sales in Europe up by 23 percent for the first six months of 2008, Chevrolet is GM Europe's fastest-growing mainstream brand. The arrival of Cruze spearheads an exciting new product roll-out program that is expected to propel the brand to even greater success.

"We are proud that Europe is leading the introduction for this global product," said Wayne Brannon, Executive Director, Chevrolet Europe. "Chevrolet has always stood for expressive value and Cruze delivers on that promise like never before. It further redefines Chevrolet with its design, quality, materials and great style inside and out. The fit and finish for gaps and interfaces sets a new standard for this segment in Europe and around the world."

Cruze is the result of a development process harnessing GM's global expertise and is the first of a new family of compact products that will deliver world class quality. It will be backed by expected highest scores in all major crash safety ratings.

The Chevrolet Cruze will be available in Europe from March 2009, followed by other global markets with regional-specific engine choices.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/21/gm-releases-official-pics-of-2011-chevy-cruze/

The 2011 Chevy Cruze is a big deal. It's not Tom Cruise big, but when was the last time GM offered a truly competitive small car? The Cobalt has been around since 2005, and the Cavalier dates back to 1982. So it's been at least 26 years of Chevy offering a back of the pack small car. The Cruze is a bit different, having been developed not by GM's designers and engineers in North America, but by its European and Asia Pacific teams. It will debut at the Paris Motor Show in October and go on sale in Europe and Asia next year. About a year after that the Cruze will go on sale in the U.S., and that version will be built at GM's plant in Lordstown, OH. GM CEO Rick Wagoner was at the plant today to announce a $500 million investment in its U.S. operations to build the Cruze here, with more than $350 million earmarked for the Lordstown plant where the current Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac G5 are built.

The Lordstown plant will likely build the new Cruze side-by-side with the Cobalt and G5 for a while until the latter two are phased out. It rides on GM's new compact Delta platform, which itself will eventually underpin a number of new products including the highly anticipated Volt, the next-gen Astra and an upcoming MPV to replace the Euro-only Zafira that's likely coming to the U.S., as well.

[Source: GM]

PRESS RELEASE

GM Announces $500 Million Investment For New Small Car

New Chevrolet Cruze to be built in Lordstown, Ohio

Lordstown, OHIO ? General Motors Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner today announced that the company will invest more than $500 million in the U.S. to build the Chevrolet Cruze, an all-new global compact car. The vehicle will be built at its Lordstown, Ohio plant. The Chevy Cruze will be officially unveiled at the Paris Motor Show in a few short weeks. In a surprise move, the investment announcement was accompanied by a glimpse of the Cruze life-size show property.

The investment in Lordstown is one of several that have been announced at U.S. plants in the past five years, adding up to over $2 billion total investment in Ohio and more than $20 billion in the United States. "One of the key reasons for the success of the Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 is the Lordstown workforce and the strong partnerships with the UAW and local and state officials," Wagoner said. "Based on the quality of work and these strong partnerships, we are pleased to announce our plans to invest another $500 million in the Chevy Cruze product program in the U.S., including more than $350 million in Lordstown."

Ed Peper, GMNA vice president of Chevrolet, spoke to GM's strong position in delivering fuel-efficient vehicles that consumers want to buy. "The Cruze will build on the already successful Chevrolet Cobalt, Cobalt XFE and Cobalt SS, all of which are nearly sold out in dealer showrooms," Peper said. "Our dealers are asking for many more Cobalts than we can build."

Chevrolet Cobalt sales are up 16 percent, year-to-date through July 2008, with an impressive 33 miles-per-gallonhighway. The new Cobalt XFE model jumps to 37 miles-per-gallon and is selling almost as soon as it's unloaded from the delivery trucks to dealerships.

The Chevrolet Cruze epitomizes the global nature of the automobile industry and General Motors' commitment to deliver fuel efficient, high-quality products. Cruze is the result of a development process harnessing GM's global design and engineering expertise. It is the first of a new family of compact Chevrolets that will continue the attention to quality, fuel efficiency, and strong value promise of the highly successful Malibu and all other vehicles under the Chevrolet brand.

"The Chevrolet Cruze was designed and engineered by our global teams in Europe and Asia Pacific and will be manufactured in those regions in addition to the assembly plant here in Lordstown, Ohio," Wagoner said. "Our goal for the Chevrolet Cruze is to lead in fuel economy in this very competitive car segment."

The new Cruze will be launched in Europe and Asia Pacific next year. It's scheduled to make its European debut at the Paris Motor Show in October.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/21/gm-announces-350-million-for-lordstown-plant-to-bulid-chevy-cru/

Got news for you - Chevrolet is NOT a prestigious badge, even within GM. It's their lowest nameplate.

This Euro fascination with badges and nameplates is quite funny from over here.
Um pardon me, but isn't the rivalry between Ford, Chevy, and Dodge infamous? I don't think America has a right to call anyone's facination with nameplates "funny".

That's at least a long standing rivalry between companies, whereas Europe was rivalries between the brands from the same company.

At least they tried to put some style into it - pity it didn't quite work out. The roofline & glassline are quite nice, if a bit generic, but that front is awful - the split grille, bluff front & oversized lights are out of proportion with the rest of the car.

Um pardon me, but isn't the rivalry between Ford, Chevy, and Dodge infamous? I don't think America has a right to call anyone's facination with nameplates "funny".

That's just brand/company rivalry. That happens in Europe and the rest of the world too, so I understand that. It's Honda v. Toyota, Mercedes v. BMW, etc., etc. However, what you mentioned is not brand/badge snobbery.

That's at least a long standing rivalry between companies, whereas Europe was rivalries between the brands from the same company.

Bingo. Over in Europe, you see people buying total stripper Audi A3 models, with NO options and NO equipment just because of the "prestige" of the Audi badge... when they could have LITERALLY the same car as a VW Golf with every option known to man for the same price. Not smart, but quite amusing.

The American equivalent would be someone buying a stripper Mercury Sable instead of a loaded Ford Taurus for the same price because "the Mercury badge is better." It just doesn't happen here.

The American equivalent would be someone buying a stripper Mercury Sable instead of a loaded Ford Taurus for the same price because "the Mercury badge is better." It just doesn't happen here.

It kind of happens with the Saab 9-7x, the Cadillac Escalade, and various vehicles sold by GMC.

It really depends on the brands or cars that are in question. A lot of people in my area are willing to pay $26k for the "Acura CSX" which is basically a JDM Civic with an Acura badge.

It kind of happens with the Saab 9-7x, the Cadillac Escalade, and various vehicles sold by GMC.

Except that nobody bought the 9-7, the Escalade sells because of the rapper bling factor (and that is only the one model - the rebadged Avalanche and Suburban didn't sell), and GMC isn't selling well to anyone but fleets and those involved with fleets.

So, no, there's no significant badge snobbery in the US.

Except that nobody bought the 9-7, the Escalade sells because of the rapper bling factor (and that is only the one model - the rebadged Avalanche and Suburban didn't sell), and GMC isn't selling well to anyone but fleets and those involved with fleets.

So, no, there's no significant badge snobbery in the US.

You're right, but it at least seems like GM was banking on some sort of badge snobbery to sell those cars. You probably know better than I do, were there any badge-engineered cars in recent history that sold well in the US? The Escalade, Lexus LX and early Lexus ES are the only things I can think of off the top of my head.