2011 F150 5L Hard Restart After Refueling

burnsy

Car(s)
2011 Ford F150 Platinum
Hi all,
As the title states, I have an issue with my new to me, used, company truck in which it has trouble restarting after refueling. If I hold the key to keep it cranking, after quite a few seconds, it finally stumbles alive and I never have a problem restarting again until the next time refueling.

I've briefly searched online and a general consensus indicates that the purge valve for the fuel tank is stuck open, creating a flooded situation when the tank is filled up. But I wanted to get the opinions of the smarter people on FG before bringing it up with the dealer the next time it's serviced.

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

it's a company truck, so who cares?
just have it fixed, and hand the bill over to your boss

or doesn't it work that way over there?

it's a company truck, so who cares?
just have it fixed, and hand the bill over to your boss

or doesn't it work that way over there?
Technically, it could, but I own part of the company as well, and we are still working on getting the company going, so don't want to have any unnecessary repair bills.

Also, I'm just curious.

From what little info there is here, I suspect a fuel pressure problem. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Fill in more details to make it slightly more than a guessing game.

Have you tried not filling it all the way up? Say let the pump click off? and call that good. It would be interesting to see if that would still cause it or not.

Pretty much this.

Also, when it does this, have you tried flood clear mode?

From what little info there is here, I suspect a fuel pressure problem. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Fill in more details to make it slightly more than a guessing game.
I don't have any problems (re)starting the truck when not refueling. Filter was changed at 100k miles, at 119k right now.

Pretty much this.

Also, when it does this, have you tried flood clear mode?
I've always one-clicked when refueling. Haven't tried a half tank though.

Flood clear mode? Could you explain it and how to do it?

Flood clear mode? Could you explain it and how to do it?

Flood clear mode is a common if not nigh-universal mode for most post-Bosch EFI systems - D-Jet, K-Jet, and most TBI systems excluded. What it is is a way to tell the computer you think the engine has become flooded and that you need to clear the flood. CrzRsn can probably find out if the Coyote ECM still has this.

You engage this by flooring the throttle with the engine off and then attempt to start the car. This signals the ECU to attempt to start the car without injecting much if any fuel, thus hopefully causing engine vacuum to clear the flood condition and cause the engine to start and catch. Once the engine begins running, quickly release the throttle before the engine revs to the sky. This should be done only in a limp home scenario or as a diagnostic - what ends up happening is raw fuel gets blown into the catalytic converters and that's not a good thing long term, so don't use it as a "normal" start technique on your truck to avoid repairing your serious problem. Unless, you know, you like having melted cats and your car on fire, which is what will happen in the medium term if you keep doing it.