2011 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix

So if you present to me a car which I approve to race, then after the race, you bring me the same car and I say "You're fucking DQ'd get out of here"... fair?

The problem is they can't test every little detail on every car before the race so some things may only be checked after the race, before the race or not at all. The teams would complain if their cars had to spend hours having every detail examined before and after the race.

The problem is they can't test every little detail on every car before the race so some things may only be checked after the race, before the race or not at all. The teams would complain if their cars had to spend hours having every detail examined before and after the race.

It's a fair point that you make. Teams are given technical specifications that their cars have to follow to be legal, it kind of sucks that they thought they were racing with a legal rear wing only to discover otherwise.

So if you present to me a car which I approve to race, then after the race, you bring me the same car and I say "You're fucking DQ'd get out of here"... fair?

I understand that it would be better for teams if they could check everything before the race. But like Peter said, it's impossible. Every team is obliged to race with a car that's made according to the rules. So if they make some mistake it's their fault, not FIA's, marshals' or whoever.

So which cars are checked after the race? Only those that score? Random pick? It seems to me that if there's the will and the way to do it after the race, it can be done before, too.

I don't think the FIA would tell us that if asked directly.

All the cars have to be checked when it comes to weight and some other things (mostly certain bits of data logged by the ECU), but I think the points-scoring cars undergo a larger amount of more detailed scrutiny. After all, we have had disqualifications over the years for technical infringements on cars that weren't even close to points-scoring positions.

I dont like it anymore than you do but I think the point of 5mm being the line is a fair point. It's kinda like speed limits. If the speed limit is 50kph and you're going 60, you most likely wont get ticketed. But if youre going 61, you probably will since that 10kph leeway is already massive.