2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada

EVIL BASTARD TRICKED ME!

he gets me sometimes as well, he has talent and it shows if he is in front. Red Bull knows that and they do what they have to to make sure he quals there, you almost cant help but push for him a little. sucks i know!

Thats because he destroyed everybody in quali like he always does?

Destroyed?
Sebastian Vettel 1:13.014
Fernando Alonso 1:13.199

I wouldn't call that destroy honestly. It's not even a quarter of a second. Also, Vettel was very lucky the race started under a safety car (which it shouldn't have, it wasn't that wet at the beginning), because Ferraris have very strong KERS compared to RBRs, and there was a good chance either Alonso or Massa stepping up and attacking at the first turn.

With the insane DRS zone in Canada (we'll see a change to that next year, I bet!) Vettel would have gotten stomped by the Ferrari and maybe even the McLarens in a dry race. Red Bull have lost their advantage in race trim since the beginning of the season and top speed has always been their weak point, add into this that bascially both straights were DRS areas....

EDIT: Theoretically, at least at the end of an engine's life time, they should be able to switch VET to quali mode even in a race for a lap or two, just to enable him to defend. Unless, of course, their quali engine setting uses such an unholy amount of fuel that even one or two laps in quali mode will throw off their fuel calculations...

Last edited:
EDIT: Theoretically, at least at the end of an engine's life time, they should be able to switch VET to quali mode even in a race for a lap or two, just to enable him to defend. Unless, of course, their quali engine setting uses such an unholy amount of fuel that even one or two laps in quali mode will throw off their fuel calculations...

Even if their quali map uses an insane amount of fuel, under the SC and in the wet they would have saved enough fuel anyway compared to a fully dry race.

Destroyed?
Sebastian Vettel 1:13.014
Fernando Alonso 1:13.199

I wouldn't call that destroy honestly. It's not even a quarter of a second. Also, Vettel was very lucky the race started under a safety car (which it shouldn't have, it wasn't that wet at the beginning), because Ferraris have very strong KERS compared to RBRs, and there was a good chance either Alonso or Massa stepping up and attacking at the first turn.

i was so looking forward for the wet standing start because i wanted to see what renault was capable off, i think in the wet they would gain several places at the start...

Montreal is by far Red Bull's weakest race, as well as Monza, and Vettel still got pole. Hell, Webber qualified fourth with no KERS! Watch them disappear when we get to Silverstone etc.

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

That was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

QFT
THAT was well worth the exceedingly long torrent download.

Massive shout out to the BBC commentary team as well! Mesmerisingly good coverage. They even managed to make the red flag session entertaining.

EDIT: Nice to see Lewis smiling at Jenson's win! Glad he took it all in good humour.

Throwing my hat into the ring with the Lewis vs Jenson incident here (even though nobody cares about my opinion): Racing incident imo. Obviously Lewis was being agressive there, but he wasn't being unrealistically agressive like in Monaco (or if I'm being harsh - even his move on Mark Webber). If Jenson had seen him, that move wouldn't have ended in disaster. Lewis could have prevented it, but I don't think anyone should be strongly blamed for that.

Anyways: JENSON BUTTON! :w00t:

Last edited:
Jenson was saying that had it been another team in different colours he would have seen him but as Hamilton has the same colours on his car he mistook Hamilton for part of his own car in the spray. Definately a 'racing' error.

Jenson was saying that had it been another team in different colours he would have seen him but as Hamilton has the same colours on his car he mistook Hamilton for part of his own car in the spray. Definately a 'racing' error.

lol just like he saw Alonso...

Dont give us that. Alonso must've known he was there, and besides, Button was ahead approaching the corner anyway. Was he just supposed to evaporate?

You shouldn't be allowed to just sweep across another car and take up a normal racing line if you know someone is trying to overtake. Over the last two races we've seen numerous examples from drivers such as Massa, Kobayashi, Maldonado and Alonso. And then the poor bastard behind cops the penalty for the inevitable collision when a bit of common sense from the guy being overtaken could've avoided it. And it's not like they've come off with no consequences; Maldonado and Alonso had their races ended because they refused to allow enough room.

Dont give us that. Alonso must've known he was there, and besides, Button was ahead approaching the corner anyway. Was he just supposed to evaporate?

Why do you still bother replying to Cellos? We all know he's not exactly impartial, not to say happy-trollingly fanboyish blind, when it comes to Ferrari.

I'm sorry...were we watching the same race? If Button would have recognised that Alonso is commmited, he had plenty of space left...just decided to be an ass and stubbornly went on, like Alonso. Except he didn't have room to manouver, Button had.

you should go watch TGV GP or sth. you know in advance the locomotive will win, and none of the wagons will ever try to overtake!!
and you sure will find some relation with fiat, so you can still feel good about yourself since you still support ferrari

I'm sorry...were we watching the same race? If Button would have recognised that Alonso is commmited, he had plenty of space left...just decided to be an ass and stubbornly went on, like Alonso. Except he didn't have room to manouver, Button had.

EXACTLY!!! if you don't have the room to manouvre, you shouldn't! (or eat the dust)

Last edited:

It was classed as a racing incident which I think was the right decision. I can't imagine Button 'decided to be an ass' and be stubborn because of the undesirable likelihood of him damaging his front wing or left front tyre.

Dr_Grip said:
Why do you still bother replying to Cellos? We all know he's not exactly impartial, not to say happy-trollingly fanboyish blind, when it comes to Ferrari.

I know :p The second part of my post isn't specifically directed at him though, it's a general observation.

Look, I have my view on this. My point being that yes Alonso went in hot...but Button only needed to yield a couple of inches. But no way can he argue, I couldn't do anything about it.

I'm just trying to imagine the shitstorm if the roles were reversed.

I'm not going to try and push this into a festival of crap being hurled at one another. Just stating my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
Look, I have my view on this. My point being that yes Alonso went in hot...but Button only needed to yield a couple of inches. But no way can he argue, I couldn't do anything about it.

as in give up the position? what kind of a racingdriver would he be if he did that? he would've lost all my respect. you're supposed to battle for every inch you can gain!
and alonso wouldn't have yielded either :lol: (rightly so!)

Well, yes, that was in my head as I wrote that...I don't know how to put it into words. I didn't try to say he should give up...just...give it a chance or something. Awww crap, the more I write the more complicated I make it. :D

That move could have only ended in 3 ways:

1. Button yields his position, Fernando overtakes him. Meh, top racing driver's don't do yielding.
2. The crash that resulted (altought Button could have crashed as well)
3. Alonso looks in his bloody mirrors and cuts across the grass.