2011 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada

Re: The Button and Alonso crash
The official standing on the matter:
The Stewards have reviewed video evidence and heard from the drivers and team representatives
regarding the incident on Lap 38 at Turn 3 between Car 5 (F. Alonso) and Car 4 (J. Button.)
Car 5 was on an out lap having pitted. Car 4 appeared to be firmly established on the inside line prior to
the entry of the corner and drove onto the kerb to avoid Car 5 on the outside.
In view of the conditions and the statements by both drivers and their team representatives, the
Stewards decide that this was a ?racing incident? and have taken no further action.
http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/can-document-47.pdf

I figured that there would be no penalty or a penalty against Alonso when the stewards, with enough time to penalize Button left, decided to postpone the investigation until after the race.

I've now watched this race twice and it still baffles me how Button managed to finish 1st with six pit stops.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the race, and can't wait until the next one.
I'll make sure I catch a live stream this time.

I've now watched this race twice and it still baffles me how Button managed to finish 1st with six pit stops.

Well McLaren had set their car up to provide more downforce which allowed Button to bring his slick tyres in quicker than the others. Had Hamilton not been so impatient and hung around long enough he probably would've scored highly as well!

The Button-Alonso crash was clearly a racing incident, as was the Ham-Web, don't think anyone doubted that...
Although... Hamilton and Webber do like to run into each other a lot.

The Button-Alonso crash was clearly a racing incident, as was the Ham-Web, don't think anyone doubted that...
Although... Hamilton and Webber do like to run into each other a lot.

It is just the natural conclusion when an aggressive overtaker meets an aggressive defender.

Last edited:
i like ecclestone a little bit better again :)

Hamilton came in for some stick after Sunday's Canadian GP where once again he was involved in several incidents.

Despite crashing out of the grand prix on lap 8, the McLaren driver faced three stewards' investigations, two of which were for tagging other drivers.

The first was when he put Mark Webber into a spin while the second involved his own team-mate Jenson Button. And it was that accident that resulted in Hamilton retiring from the grand prix.

It was the second successive race in which Hamilton faced a barrage of investigations having twice been penalised in Monaco for causing avoidable accidents.

The McLaren driver's antics led to him being criticised by past World Champions Niki Lauda and Emerson Fittipaldi.

"What Hamilton did there goes beyond all boundaries. He is completely mad," Lauda told RTL television while Fittipaldi reckons that "sometimes he is too aggressive when he tries to overtake."

However, Ecclestone believes people should back off with the criticism and just let Hamilton race.

"People have been wrong to rubbish Lewis," the F1 supremo told The Independent.

"What we want is people racing, and all the people who watch it want that.

"If you analyse what's been happening and how other drivers have been performing, Lewis shows up very well, and so do Sebastian (Vettel) and Jenson (Button).

So let him race. That's what people like him do.

"I was very, very good friends with (Ayrton) Senna, and if you look at what he did, he was a racer too, and people had to move over for him.

"Perhaps Lewis has made one or two questionable moves, but so have many of the others, and nobody bothers to look what's happening further down the field. It's always been like this.

"We saw a lot of people racing in Canada on Sunday, and Jenson did a super job. That's what the fans want to see."

he is saying the exact same things as me

[/fanboy]

Crashing into everybody while trying to make your way through is not the only way to overtake, not the only way to race, that's what everyone has been trying to say about Hamilton.

I like this bit
"We saw a lot of people racing in Canada on Sunday, and Jenson did a super job, Lewis didn't. That's what the fans want to see."
Added what was missing.

And I'm sick and tired of people comparing Hamilton to Senna. They're not in the same league, and will never be.

Last edited:
The webber incident was just a racing incident and I have no problem with it. If there hadn't been so much talk about Hamilton this year or it was any other driver, no one would question that.

Button was openly apologetic in the press conference, which to me further points towards the fact that it was a bad judgement call on his part. That space was open and Hamilton took it and Jenson slammed the door on him. Still, I think equal blame was had since Hamilton could have read the situation and gone to the other side or backed out.

I'm a big time Jenson fan though, so I'm super happy that he finally got a win, and in such a great way. Another great wet race for him.

The amount of space webber gave hamilton was ridiculously generous, and yet somehow angry webber still got tagged by hamilton.

And even though I tend to agree that it was a racing incident, I can't help but to think that hamilton was far too reckless and need to understand that winning doesn't happen on lap1.

The amount of space webber gave hamilton was ridiculously generous, and yet somehow angry webber still got tagged by hamilton.

And even though I tend to agree that it was a racing incident, I can't help but to think that hamilton was far too reckless and need to understand that winning doesn't happen on lap1.

e02aeef7-52cd-4787-9a1f-d078eb28f469.jpg

It just does, that pass can mean everything and you know it.

Last edited:
Closer inspection reveals that whole crazy ending now makes perfect sense.
http://desmond.imageshack.**/Himg26/scaled.php?server=26&filename=canaaaa.jpg&res=medium

I finally finished watching the race and all I can say right now is wow! I was literally on the edge of my seat for the last five laps. After all the action in Monaco I was wondering if any grand prix the rest of the season could top it and this definitely did. There was so much action between the raindrops that it was hard keeping up with everything. It was definitely interesting seeing the teams running what were effectively in-race experiments with the wet tires since they went into the weekend with very little experience with wet Pirellis. The BBC commentators were hilarious during the rain delay with all the jokes about the boats. :lol:

But with all that being said the final results of the race seem fake to me. Button definitely deserved the win but I can't say the same for the rest of the order. Having two DRS zones so close together was just unfair. Schumacher was a sitting duck in the last ten laps. There was nothing he could do to keep Button and Webber behind him with the DRS activated on the overtaking cars. It was almost comical how much faster they were on that bit of track before the pit chicane. Kobayashi would have finished ahead of Massa if it weren't for the second DRS zone on the pit straight. According to the rules DRS is supposed to put two cars along side each other to create more overtaking. In this race it was just unfair.

As far as the controversial crashes with Hamilton/Webber, Hamilton/Button, and Button/Alonso they all looked like racing incidents to me. There wasn't really anyone to blame, just bad luck. Personally I think it's great to see drivers not afraid to take risks like that to go for an overtake. Would you rather argue here about who crashed into who or sit through a two-hour parade with a couple boring overtakes? I say bring on the racing incidents.