2011 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Monte_Carlo_Formula_1_track_map.svg

Race date: 29th of May, 2011
Number of laps: 78
Circuit length: 3.34 km
Race distance: 260.52 km
Lap record: 1:14.439 (Michael Schumacher, 2004)
Last winner: Mark Webber

1) Monaco is more centered around mechanical grip than aero - do you think anyone can nudge pole from RBR/Vettel?
2) What's your predictions for the race podium? Can Button, Webber or Alonso get their first win?
3) This will be the first time we will see the super-soft tyres (option) from Pirelli, do you think they will work well in combination with the soft tyres (prime) or will the degredation be catastrophical?
4) DRS, tyres and KERS made for a pleasant race in Spain, can the same devices make Monaco more exciting aswell?
5) Is allowing DRS in Monaco dangerous?
6) Can Ferrari claw back with their race pace?
7) Do you think the FIA will take any action against the EBD (Exhaust Blown Diffuser) concepts, or will it rest untill the meeting in June?
8) Will Lotus qualify ahead of some midfield cars again this race?
9) Who'll crash and/or not finish?

Too much motorsport on the weekend with Monaco and the Indy 500. I predict it will affect me for an exam on Monday. :lol:

1) Monaco is more centered around mechanical grip than aero - do you think anyone can nudge pole from RBR/Vettel?

99.9% chance that Red Bull will take the pole, 0.1 that it will be Hamilton.

2) What's your predictions for the race podium? Can Button, Webber or Alonso get their first win?

Liuzzi, Glock, Karthikeyan. Kolles will jump up and down until only his cars and the Virgins are left in the field. If they allow the Williamses in, Maldonado will win.

3) This will be the first time we will see the super-soft tyres (option) from Pirelli, do you think they will work well in combination with the soft tyres (prime) or will the degredation be catastrophical?

Supersofts will be like the qualifiers of yesteryear.

4) DRS, tyres and KERS made for a pleasant race in Spain, can the same devices make Monaco more exciting aswell?

No, there won't be enough cars around.

Possible. If they use it in the tunnel and get it wrong, it will be big.

What race pace? They won't race.

7) Do you think the FIA will take any action against the EBD (Exhaust Blown Diffuser) concepts, or will it rest untill the meeting in June?

Kolles will keep doing his best petulant child impression until he gets what he wants and all the top cars are thrown out.

If they're not all kicked out by Saturday.

Everyone banned for the EBD.

I think Red Bull will continue their Quali dominance. But, if not, then it's gotta be one of the McLarens on Pole.

Hamilton!! I reckon he is Vettels main rival and he needs a win in order to stay in the battle for the crown.

Well, if winter testing gives us a clue then it's possibe that the Super Soft will not last long enough. I think most laps will be run on prime.

Doubtful. Monaco = pit strategy.
It is extremely easy for the driver in front to prevent an overtake in Monaco.

No more dangerous than on other tracks. But it might be unpredictable because the drivers are not allowed to use DRS during test sessions or Qualifying according to the news.

If Santander get in front after the start Santander can win.

FIA will clarify the EBD during June. Nomatter what Kolles says or how much he complains about it. It's not the diffusers that are questionable, it's the fact that the engine is used to contribute to downforce when the driver is not on the throttle if I read it right.

Sadly only if other drivers have problems during Qualifying again.

Many. :p

Last edited:
It's in fact the engine mapping, but I just kept the description simple. :)

Monte_Carlo_Formula_1_track_map.svg

Race date: 29th of May, 2011
Number of laps: 78
Circuit length: 3.34 km
Race distance: 260.52 km
Lap record: 1:14.439 (Michael Schumacher, 2004)
Last winner: Mark Webber

Gonna be a RBR white wash

Vettel for the win, Webbo might pinch 2nd and 3rd will probably be between Hamburger and chocolate button

They will be coming around the last corner on the first lap riding on the rims, except button

DRS will likely be useless here I think, unless they do it through the tunnel but then your asking for some mighty nuts to be the last of the late brakers into the chicane...in all likely hood that will be a ticket to a festival of carbon fibre death...everyone has KERS so everyone will have roughly the same advantage (apart from webber)

I think they may well consider it to be

Not here

7) Do you think the FIA will take any action against the EBD (Exhaust Blown Diffuser concepts, or will it rest untill the meeting in June?
They should leave it rest full stop. Nothing wrong with them

Not sure

cant say really, Monaco has taken the best of them

Yes, i dont see this as a track where they can pull off that 1 lap Q3 shit.
Button is possible but i think we may see someone nobody expects, maybe in a silver car...
They wil die fast and suddenly. Its will be a great show to watch. it will either be a ton of pits or a massive crash. Hope for the latter
shit, they could run around the track and it would be a blast to watch, KERS may do some good but i dont think much
Nope, use it in the tunnel and the front strait. i dont think there is a real need for a DRS Zone here
Not thinking so, they need more time
the teams have spoken, its stupid that they re-reg everything the teams try and do to make themselves better. the FIA should make everyone run around oval tracks in sheet metal "cars" with carborated V8's...
Yes, no question
i predict one of the RBR's not even getting to lap 2. if they are not on the front row they will crash. with that said, someone in the top 10 area will have a big turn 1 crash.

Also, i wonder if MSC will have a steering box problem and get stuck near pit-in around the end of Q3 ;)

1) Monaco is a slower circuit, so the influence of aerodynamics is actually reduced, while mechanical grip plays a more important role. While RB is probably favourite for the pole, there's a good chance that Hamilton or Alonso can p*ss all over their parade if they manage to hook up the three bells.

2) The podium will probably be pre-decided on Saturday. Unlike on other tracks, I expect KERS and DRS to have less influence here. The track makes overtaking very difficult and we might see a procession like in years past.

3) They'll probably last about 10 laps maximum, so I wouldn't be surprised, if we see the majority of the drivers running the harder compound for most of the race.

4) With DRS banned in the tunnel, it leaves KERS as the only "overtaking aid". With so much stop-and-go on a lap, I would suspect that KERS has more influence in terms of optimizing a quali-lap, while not being overly helpful with overtaking.

5) Since it was banned in the tunnel - No.

6) Unlikely. It'll take more than a week to fix that mess. I woulnd't expect a major step forward before the second half of the season. That's not even considering that the other teams are improving as well.

7) The official announcement will probably be waiting until June, but I'd hazard a guess that pretty much all teams (except the Cosworth-runners, which don't have it) are already working on a solution without EBD.

8) With driver skill so important, Trulli might have an ace up his sleeve.

9) Quite a few of the lot. Massa's a pretty safe bet.

Hamilton, but very very unlikely, this will not happen until a serious aero upgrade.

a) Webber - but only if Vettel breakes something, Alonso - but only if Webber, Vettel or Hamilton have trouble of some sort, or at a push Button (he can be good at strategy, but it is the only way he could).

No.

Possibly - jury is out on this.

Possible, but with great drivers should be safe.

No, they need a serious upgrade all around.

Not this race but possibly next.

Not this time.

Kubashi will prang if anyone - I hope no one does though.

Last edited:

1. No, but maybe Alonso and Hamilton might surprise us.
2. No, I reckon Seb is still ahead of the field by a small margin.
3. Degradation should be pretty serious.
4. Monaco has always been exciting, well at least for REAL F1 fans.
5. No
6. They might
7. Till Silverstone / June
8. Behind Force India
9. Hamilton and Mirabeau? Fingers crossed for the same mistake to happen twice :p

1) Monaco is more centered around mechanical grip than aero - do you think anyone can nudge pole from RBR/Vettel? Renault can suprise.
2) What's your predictions for the race podium? 1.Vettel, 2.Hamilton, 3.Heidfeld
3) This will be the first time we will see the super-soft tyres (option) from Pirelli, do you think they will work well in combination with the soft tyres (prime) or will the degredation be catastrophical? I think the tyres will be ok.
4) DRS, tyres and KERS made for a pleasant race in Spain, can the same devices make Monaco more exciting aswell? No DRS in Monaco and that KERS is just stupid devise on every track.
5) Is allowing DRS in Monaco dangerous? It would have been more interesting race to watch with DRS.
6) Can Ferrari claw back with their race pace? No hard tires here so yes i think.
7) Do you think the FIA will take any action against the EBD (Exhaust Blown Diffuser) concepts, or will it rest untill the meeting in June? Please make it rest till June.
8) Will Lotus qualify ahead of some midfield cars again this race? No.
9) Who'll crash and/or not finish? 1 HTR and 1 Virgin.

No, RBR pole again

Only if Vettel crashes, or something.

It'll be fine

Monaco is exciting, but I don't see DRS and KERS making much of a difference here

Formula 1 is supposed to be dangerous.

The race pace is fine, as was shown by 3rd place in Turkey. At least on Alonso's car... The thing to do is save more tyres in qualifying.

Nothing will be done neither now or in June. Will remain legal, unless by June RBR is so far ahead that the rulemakers "decide" that it's illegal so to have more competition, but then all teams will remove the device and RBR will still be on top.

Maybe, Kovalainen is very experienced and that can count in this circuit compared to all the rooks

I say about 6 DNFs.

Other will be closer, but still RBR on pole.

Everyone can. :p

Monaco isn't that much harder on tyres. So I predict it will be similar to the precious races (3-4 stops). It will be better than in Spain.

Tyres will help. DRS and KERS not. So still only overtaking will be if there will be much difference between tyres (used vs new).

Well, now we know it will be banned in the tunnel. Probably it could be dangerous for slower teams. For RBR it will not be a problem.

Maybe, but they'll still be behind RBR and McL.

June.

If their updates are aero based than no.

Coulthard on his way to commentary box.

This season is a lost cause and Ferrari never does well at Monaco so I'm not going to expect any miracles this round. To be honest, I'm excited to see what kobayashi can do on this circuit racing the way he has been and I hope Lotunault can pull off some better results. Monaco has been pretty dull in recent years so I'm not expecting things to be different here.

Also DRS and KERS gave us an atrocious race in Spain, what the hell are you smoking?

Last edited:
Also DRS and KERS gave us an atrocious race in Spain, what the hell are you smoking?

Seriously, man, knock it off! You're starting to sound completely ridiculous. Only because Alonso didn't win, the race was NOT atrocious. It was the best race we've seen at Barcelona since 1996, when some bloke in a hopelessly mediocre Ferrari buttwhooped the whole pack in torrential rain. Stop sprouting your fanboyism around. The race was good and it was dominated by the best combinations of car and driver (Vettel/RB and Hamilton, Button/McMerc). We've seen more overtaking in a single race than we've seen a whole decade before. If you want to see the same Ferrari win over and over again, rewatch seasons 2001-2004. Please stop badmouthing the race, only because your favorite driver didn't win.

Last edited:
This season is a lost cause and Ferrari never does well at Monaco so I'm not going to expect any miracles this round. To be honest, I'm excited to see what kobayashi can do on this circuit racing the way he has been and I hope Lotunault can pull off some better results. Monaco has been pretty dull in recent years so I'm not expecting things to be different here.

wow, your posts are starting to get old real fast. i don't mind in any way when people post their opinions because its their rights but all you seem to be doing is whining about the same shit over and over. really, i know you love your fav team, i respect that but for the love of god shut the fuck up about KERS and DRS. Its not the reason your team is not winning and if it is then they need to think about some serious redesign. its working for RBR and VMM and Renault and its beginning to look like Lotus and Merc GP is catching up so why don't you try to explain to everyone what you think is wrong with your cars/drivers/crew and stop blaming the FIA or F1. So, try again, why arent you winning? can you come up with an argument that DOESNT involve DRS or KERS?

Also, why do you think the greatest race in the entire world, Monaco, is dull? what do you mean?