2011 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

I sort of see the point. Does F1 want to be just another one make series or does it want to be at the pinacle of development of performance and safety - possibly offering ideas that appear in 10 years on road cars?

Will I want to watch Clios go hooning around Brands Hatch?

Perhaps so but I am not paying out for that over and above a nominal amount.

Last edited:
As much as I dislike RBR, and as much as I dislike Vettel, I have to say this is beyond bullshit.

Why is it that every innovation Newey comes up with has to banned? If its truly ground breaking then ban it the next year. What is with the FIA, they're worse than Korean game developers.

loved the race!!

- My heart kinda sank when Button had his R/F Tyre issue...
- And I found myself wanting Massa to pull past Hamilton. =P
- Schumi looks like he activated DRS just as he ran into Kobayashi.

As far as Silverstone is concerned, I really love the track almost as much as Monaco.
Looked like a great atmosphere!

edit: aerial view of Silverstone
34zk1uh.png

Last edited:
I fucking hate Tivo. The one race where Ferrari wins and it fucking doesn't fucking record fucking god fucking damnit. fuck fuck fuck!!!!

I need a :hug: .

I'm not going to talk shit until I watch it, it's only fair. :p

Ferrari International Assistance strikes again.

Also, Santanderlonso winning the Santander sponsored GP, with a rumor of a rule switch back to EBD later? Sorry, this is too much.

It seems to me that Mercedes powered teams are being favoured. They're the ones who can still use EBDs.

Yeah, but not all of us want that. I want RBR to run away with the championship, because THEY did the work to make their car and aero as efficient as possible, therefore THEY DESERVE IT.

[...]

Moving goalposts are bullshit, everyone knows that, but I bet you if this had happened to Ferrari or McLaren, I doubt anyone would be bothered by a runaway season.

Nope. 1998 was boring as well. While you are right theoretically, in practice it's not good for the sports if the driver's championship is decided halfway through the season. I am against removing all advantages, but I am for leveling the field a bit. Sadly i was unable to find a decent explanation of the 1990s DTM rules anywhere, but they did work remarkably well.

Last edited:
I have to agree that the rule changes were designed to disadvantage RBR. And rightly so.

There are three ways to ensure competitive racing:
1. Have a spec formula where everyone races with the same hardware (that's how the Americans do it in NASCAR and Indy)
2. "Interpret" the rules in a way that disadvantages the team that employs Adrian Newey is about to run away with the championship.
3. Have handicap rules.

The Formula 1 way has always been the second way. I'm not saying if it's good or bad, I'm just saying it's always been like that. Take the fan car, for example. A brilliant idea that was killed because it was too fast. Or the two brake pedal McLaren of 1998 (another Newey car, by the way). One might complain about this, but it's the traditional way.

No matter if one agrees with the way it was handled or not, F1 might have a constructor's championship as well but mainly is a driver-centered sport. This means that the drivers have to be able to fight for a win, which means that while a non-spec series obviously means different speed of the cars, no one can be allowed to have a massive advantage by his car alone. So a Newey-designed dominating car has to be castrated, one way or another. Personally, I'd prefer handicap rules like in the old DTM - wins not only mean points, but also extra weight.

Apart from that, i've never hidden my dislike for both Ferrari and Eyebrow Man, but this race had me cheering for Alonso as I just wanted him to beat the Red Bulls. I wanted ANYONE to beat them, just for the sake of them not winning. I would have even applauded MSC getting back in "rain god" mode in a full wet race if it meant a non-RBR win.

Changing rules mid season is a terrible idea, changing the rules three times in a weekend is unacceptable. I also dislike the idea of adding weight to a car just because they win, winning should not be penalised.

This is why the FIA should try testing the tech themselves before implementing it into F1 on a whim.

Last edited:
As far as Silverstone is concerned, I really love the track almost as much as Monaco.
Looked like a great atmosphere!

edit: aerial view of Silverstone
34zk1uh.png

Indeed. Record numbers of tickets sold. 122,000 people there on race day alone.

As for the Red Bull blown diffuser thing - they should grow up. All that whinging was pathetic. Sure, McLaren and Mercedes were allowed 10% blowing, but remind me again, who locked out the front row of the grid? Pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

I still like Vettel but have lost respect for Red Bull.

Last edited:
Especially because of those ridiculous team orders, I've lost any respect for them. It's about maximizing the points for the team, bullshit they were maximized at that point, 2nd and 3rd doesn't change the team points no matter 2nd becoming 3rd and 3rd becoming 2nd. And don't bullshit me on Horner just being the guy who delivered the order, he still had the ability to say shove it to Helmut Marko. I would've done it and told him a team made of racers don't call off racing.

As for the Red Bull blown diffuser thing - they should grow up.

How do you figure? They invent something, other people copy it, and then RB loses the right to lose it but others can keep it? I'd be plenty pissed off too. Especially since it seems like another case of Ferrari going 'jump' and the FIA going 'how high?' Also, did anyone else notice how smug Domenicali looked on the podium?

An F1 car should be this: Engine, front wing, and rear wing. No diffuser, no fancy winglets, no ducting of airflow, no fancy side mirrors, no kers, no flappy rear wing nonsense, and no fancy exhaust systems to charge airflow.

An F1 car should be this: Engine, front wing, and rear wing. No diffuser, no fancy winglets, no ducting of airflow, no fancy side mirrors, no kers, no flappy rear wing nonsense, and no fancy exhaust systems to charge airflow.

But....but then it wouldn't be F1 anymore............

Shame it would be slow as hell.

Its called the Indy Racing League and it sucks. Every car is the same and all the track are boring. also, the have a pace car thing there with full lap cautions. Its open wheel NASCAR, do you really want that? Besides, why are you complaining, your beloved Ferrari won this weekend and they even did it without team orders!

So then what did they race 20-25 years ago?

They raced Flat floors with huge diffusors. 30-35 years ago they raced ground effect cars which produced even more downforce through the floor.