2011 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

Christian "We let our drivers race" Horner :p

Well done Eyebrow Man. Glad to see someone else rise to the challenge of breaking Red Bull's winning runs.

It's been probably years since I've said this, but I'm actually honestly happy that a Ferrari won today.

Another great race. As already said, not too much DRS rubbish thankfully, the way it should be!

Loved it, some awesome overtakes, real breath taking battling and overtaking. Very entertaining.

As a McLaren fan, this wasn't a great race - not considering the great overtakes by Lewis.

The only things I hope they can do now, is to get #2 in the WCC and maybe get a few more race wins.

They probably won't, unless there are even more rule changes. With the way the FIA seems to be falling over itself trying to give Ferrari undeserved advantages, the top two teams at the end are pretty much bound to be Ferrari and RBR.

that was fucking epic.

Excellent race.

First off, congratulations to Alonso who really did run a perfect race. Well done.

I think McLaren over all is the big story here. Amazing start to the race, especially for Hamilton. But then Button's pit incident and then Ham not having enough fuel. In the end, though, amazing driving by Hamilton for what he was given, and possibly the most exciting last few corners I can remember.

Red Bull. Sucks for Vettel he lost position due to a pit error but his battle with Hamilton was also excellent. Bad on RB for trying to hold Webber back, IMO. Again, very exciting last lap because of the battle.

Excellent race overall, possibly the best of the year.

After going through some work, here's the yay's for this race.

Alonso, Vettel and Webber team mate battle (i think they did their share of racing and not crashing into each other), Hamilton for the banzai phase, Perez, and lastly Alguersuari for showing proper racecraft.

Nays: Pit crew of Red Bull and McLaren, though i admit i did cheer when Red Bull cocked it up for Vettel's stop and Alonso jumped into the lead.

Onwards to Germany! And probably another Red Bull victory due to the latest u turn on the technical rules.

Excellent race.

First off, congratulations to Alonso who really did run a perfect race. Well done.

I think McLaren over all is the big story here. Amazing start to the race, especially for Hamilton. But then Button's pit incident and then Ham not having enough fuel. In the end, though, amazing driving by Hamilton for what he was given, and possibly the most exciting last few corners I can remember.

Red Bull. Sucks for Vettel he lost position due to a pit error but his battle with Hamilton was also excellent. Bad on RB for trying to hold Webber back, IMO. Again, very exciting last lap because of the battle.

Excellent race overall, possibly the best of the year.

Yea, VMM seems to be going in the wrong direction and its killing me. they are better than this! this is how you lose drivers!

As far as RBR, i was waiting for them to crash into eachother. damn.

I thought that was a nice race all in all. Good drive from Alonso to take the opportunity when it arose itself. Perez also drove pretty well hassling Rosberg in the latter part of the race. Rosberg had poor performance in my opinion, his race pace again wasn't great and probably got a bit lucky with 6th, to lose so many places in the start so consistently is a poor show.
On webber what can we say he ignored the team orders and good on him, accepting them would make him completely subordinate to Vettel. He needs to maintain some dignity after being trounced week on week. I do see Red Bull as very hypocritical though they always try to exude this young, fresh, open image but on so many matters they are just like the rest of the teams. They obviously favour Vettel over Webber just like Ferrari favoring Alonso. They also get involved in the politics just as much as any other team just look at the build up to the weekend with the regulation changes. I'm not criticizing them because all the teams undertake such tools to ensure that they win. But I think they need to drop this belief that they are somehow morally better than the rest of the teams in F1.

Well another eventful race... was very entertaining. That result came as a surprise to everyone I think, when I saw Vettel om nom nomming Webber at the start I was thinking "here we go again".
Jumped up from the couch when it became obvious that the Red Bull pit crew had made a mistake, at last (those 3 second clockwork stops are so annoying! heh)
I felt bad for Jenson I have to say, cos I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have your race ended like that, not being your fault at all, at your home grand prix none other.
Was hoping Lewis runs out of fuel so I could say "well at least someone is pushing THAT hard".

On another note I feel Schumachers 10 sec stop/go was a bit much. It was a racing incident in tricky conditions, he already had to waste time getting a front wing (admittedly not much cos it happened right in his pit window), but still. His climbing up the places shows yet again he's found some form, I think. I reckon he'd have finished well ahead of Rosberg if he didn't get the penalty, his start was only second to Lewis' today.

Mandatory
ferrari.gif

At bloody last!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that the wired camera is simply fantastic! It's like the replay function on F1 2010 :p.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have a wired camera that goes all the way around the track and not just a straight line in a set location?

And then each car gets their own camera! OMG THAT WOULD BE EPIC!

Couple more things to add

That's one of the reasons why I don't like Vettel is because all the favoritism he gets from the team. I know, that that was a team decision and Seb didn't influence it but that's just another reason to pile on top of "front wing thief" etc etc.

Also, is it just me or does RBR's rear wing look wider than most O.O

Last edited:
Looks like Red Bulls really lost due to hot blowing ban. We'll see in Germany if that's true. Also it was funny that the team which "allow their drivers to race" used team orders. I'm not against team orders (it's team sport after all), but I hate hypocrisy.

Hamilton had wet setup? He was so much faster than anyone else at the beginning. Also Lewis used his tyres much harder than other drivers so that didn't help either. Nevertheless - stupid mistake by McLaren because Hamilton really had a chance to win this race. It was just bad day for Button, di Resta and Kobayashi. As for 10 seconds penalty I think they did that instead of drive through just because pitlane cuts so many corners and penalty like that would be small (like we saw in Canada).

I'm so happy for Ferrari. Great drive by Fernando and fully deserved win. I'm not sure about Felipe though. It looked like his strategy was wrong again. Maybe Ferrari just did something different "just in case", but I think it wasn't smart. I think that with strategy similar to Alonso's Massa would have better chance to overtake Lewis.

ferrari.gif

As for 10 seconds penalty I think they did that instead of drive through just because pitlane cuts so many corners and penalty like that would be small (like we saw in Canada).
Brundle said that even with the pit lane speed limit you might gain up to two seconds by driving through the pit lane.

Basically a drive through isn't much of a penalty at Silverstone now, so stop/go is favoured for penalties.

Brundle said that even with the pit lane speed limit you might gain up to two seconds by driving through the pit lane.
Hm... that one makes me think. Is it mandatory to do a pit stop once you turned into the pit lane? If not, I want someone to try overtaking that way. Just for the lulz. Works probably even better in a racing series with slower cars.

Damn good race.

Not fussed about Webber being told to hold the gap. Red Bull is interested in as many points for the constructor's championship as possible. Vettel 2nd/Webber 3rd means the same thing to them as Webber 2nd/Vettel 3rd. With that few laps remaining just make sure they cross the line and don't throw both cars into the wall.