2011 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

Well done Ferrari, well done. A race won on pit stops, Ferrari having the best. Why do I get the feeling this win saved Domenicalli's ass?

Pretty good race, just a shame that Alonso won. Would rather had seen someone like Vettel or Webber win, maybe even anyone else on the grid to be honest (i'm not an Alonso fan).

Sucks for Jenson about the wheel nut, and Kobayashi for his engine.

Damn good race.

Not fussed about Webber being told to hold the gap. Red Bull is interested in as many points for the constructor's championship as possible. Vettel 2nd/Webber 3rd means the same thing to them as Webber 2nd/Vettel 3rd. With that few laps remaining just make sure they cross the line and don't throw both cars into the wall.

Exactly, second and third is the same as third and second. (Not to the drivers, obviously.)

They could race before, but three laps to go it was not prudent to repeat Istanbul.

Well done to ALO for the win, BUT and the pitstop cockup was funny, not good though.

Good race, I enjoyed it but didn't get much of a look at the midfield and new teams running on the TV.

Great to see Murray on the BBC Forum.

The new Silverstone facilities seems functionallly, to be a lot better, but it looks like a a Tescos supermarket, compared to the more exotic new track's designs at Malysia, Dubai etc.

My two pence.

*shrugs *

:)

Last edited:
Capitalising on other teams' stuff-ups to regain a sense of success - Ferrari, you're doin' it rite. Great driving from Alonso too of course, very impressive.
However, RBR lost this race imho. Lewis made the most of a shitty situation, McLaren....the what the hell are you doing!? :mad:

I'm gutted for Jenson and Koba, especially the latter, he was having such a great weekend! :-(

Pretty spectacular race overall, far more interesting than effin' Valencia! :lol:

Last edited:
McLaren needs to work on their code, every blatant thing they said aired.

what was said, we dont get much for interviews either pre or post race. all we really get here is someone on the grid before the start and what ever interview he can get during the race from drivers who retired or something and the press conference after as well.

On the good side, we dont get much of the drama bullshit. I guess thats why our network is so respected by the teams.

I know I would use more code words for fuel saving and pitting, fuel saving would be "Going into F9" or something like that.

Engineer: Tsshhk - Lewis, we have Alonso on the far end of the spectrum. Webber is red and Vettel cyan.
LH - Should I use two or three clicks of rainbow?
Eng - We think rainbow 6 will do. Let us know how it goes
LH - Understood, shooting rainbows outta my ass. NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN

There is no code, all radio chatter is open for the stewards and TV and the director can choose which radio conversations to air. You're not even hearing it live, it's a recording.

There is no code, all radio chatter is open for the stewards and TV and the director can choose which radio conversations to air. You're not even hearing it live, it's a recording.

That's why he's talking about speaking in a 'code', for example, engage the teddy bear drive would mean setting the fuel in the rich and "it rains on Paris" means pit stop in 3 laps... :p

That's why he's talking about speaking in a 'code', for example, engage the teddy bear drive would mean setting the fuel in the rich and "it rains on Paris" means pit stop in 3 laps... :p

Ahh I see what he meant, I musta been flying or something when I first read that.

I just guess they didn't plan for every possible scenario which is definitely a mistake, not that I really think it made any kind of difference, Massa never got through.

Well done Eyebrow Man. Glad to see someone else rise to the challenge of breaking Red Bull's winning runs.
It's been probably years since I've said this, but I'm actually honestly happy that a Ferrari won today.

Tho they way FIA managed to nerf the RBR is probably beyond ridiculous.
EBD is banned? No? Only 10% when off throttle? Mercedes engines are allowed to run EBD?
It is ridiculous... nobody knows what's allowed anymore... I've beed watching F1 for over a decade and I have never been this confused before.

The only reason Ferrari was close to RBR pace is because the Red Bulls were crippled. Because FIA changed the core rules mid season. (for this race)
So in Germany the EBD will be allowed again? No? Only 10% exhausts? Mercedes engines will be allowed to have EBD?

Nobody won this year at Silverstone. I mean seriously, Ferrari and other teams cannot develop a working EBD? Wtf? :|

Crappiest race in 5years.
Thenks for pissing on F1 FIA.

BUTTON: Why did he retire? He could've just rolled back to get the wheel tightened up.....

From the 2010 sporting regulation (I assume there haven't change this year):

30.8 At no time may a car be reversed in the pit lane under its own power.

I don't know if the team could have pushed him back or if that is forbidden too.

And he had already left the pitlane, reversing from the racetrack into the pitlane is strictly forbidden in any motorsport and earns instant disqualification.

Tho they way FIA managed to nerf the RBR is probably beyond ridiculous.
EBD is banned? No? Only 10% when off throttle? Mercedes engines are allowed to run EBD?
It is ridiculous... nobody knows what's allowed anymore... I've beed watching F1 for over a decade and I have never been this confused before.

The only reason Ferrari was close to RBR pace is because the Red Bulls were crippled. Because FIA changed the core rules mid season. (for this race)
So in Germany the EBD will be allowed again? No? Only 10% exhausts? Mercedes engines will be allowed to have EBD?

Nobody won this year at Silverstone. I mean seriously, Ferrari and other teams cannot develop a working EBD? Wtf? :|

Crappiest race in 5years.
Thenks for pissing on F1 FIA.

Ferrari International Assistance strikes again.

Also, Santanderlonso winning the Santander sponsored GP, with a rumor of a rule switch back to EBD later? Sorry, this is too much.

Ferrari International Assistance strikes again.

Also, Santanderlonso winning the Santander sponsored GP, with a rumor of a rule switch back to EBD later? Sorry, this is too much.

Well I cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
But if RBR could run at their maximum potential I don't think Ferrari could have had them this easily. There were no winners this last weekend. Only more political BS wich I personally am tired of. The rumors are indeed that for next race the EBD will be allowed again...

W H Y ?!

Why ban it in the first place after it being allowed for such a long time after the start of the season.

Wtf?

-EDIT-

Reading the press evaluations here.
There are even some papers in Spain who think ithis is a total pile of bullshit. Some papers in Spain agree that this whole event was not good for F1. So it is OK for Ferrari to dominate a.k.a 2004 but when some other team does it, it's a huge regulations failure???

What the Fuck is going on?
Soo it's either a regulations overhaul or a Piquet smashing into a wall, ass first, all so Alonso can win? In case you couldn't tell, yes I am absolutely disgusted.

Last edited:
How boring is your life, if you have time to read THAT much into that whole story? Jeeez.

They'll be back to the old config in Germany, ergo back to normal.

How boring is your life, if you have time to read THAT much into that whole story? Jeeez.

They'll be back to the old config in Germany, ergo back to normal.

I follow F1 news daily, like most F1 fans. So i reckon it's not that much more worse or better off than yours. My sources may be better but that's not my fault. Also, I question the stuff I read.

I just find it ridiculous that it's not allowed by FIA Law to put the sport in a bad light... and it's the FIA that does it the most.

I knew Alonso was gona win well before the start. The whole GP was DESIGNED so that ANYONE else than a RBR would win.

Last edited:
I have to agree that the rule changes were designed to disadvantage RBR. And rightly so.

There are three ways to ensure competitive racing:
1. Have a spec formula where everyone races with the same hardware (that's how the Americans do it in NASCAR and Indy)
2. "Interpret" the rules in a way that disadvantages the team that employs Adrian Newey is about to run away with the championship.
3. Have handicap rules.

The Formula 1 way has always been the second way. I'm not saying if it's good or bad, I'm just saying it's always been like that. Take the fan car, for example. A brilliant idea that was killed because it was too fast. Or the two brake pedal McLaren of 1998 (another Newey car, by the way). One might complain about this, but it's the traditional way.

No matter if one agrees with the way it was handled or not, F1 might have a constructor's championship as well but mainly is a driver-centered sport. This means that the drivers have to be able to fight for a win, which means that while a non-spec series obviously means different speed of the cars, no one can be allowed to have a massive advantage by his car alone. So a Newey-designed dominating car has to be castrated, one way or another. Personally, I'd prefer handicap rules like in the old DTM - wins not only mean points, but also extra weight.

Apart from that, i've never hidden my dislike for both Ferrari and Eyebrow Man, but this race had me cheering for Alonso as I just wanted him to beat the Red Bulls. I wanted ANYONE to beat them, just for the sake of them not winning. I would have even applauded MSC getting back in "rain god" mode in a full wet race if it meant a non-RBR win.

Last edited:
I have to agree that the rule changes were designed to disadvantage RBR. And rightly so.

Apart from that, i've never hidden my dislike for both Ferrari and Eyebrow Man, but this race had me cheering for Alonso as I just wanted him to beat the Red Bulls. I wanted ANYONE to beat them, just for the sake of them not winning. I would have even applauded MSC getting back in "rain god" mode in a full wet race if it meant a non-RBR win.

Yeah, but not all of us want that. I want RBR to run away with the championship, because THEY did the work to make their car and aero as efficient as possible, therefore THEY DESERVE IT.

IT IS A TEAM SPORT, NOT JUST ABOUT THE DRIVER, BUT THE CAR AND DEVELOPMENT THEREOF AS WELL.

DON'T LIKE IT? GO WATCH INDY.

How is it RBR's fault if the other teams are useless in terms of pre-season development? Moving goalposts are bullshit, everyone knows that, but I bet you if this had happened to Ferrari or McLaren, I doubt anyone would be bothered by a runaway season.

tldr; everyone's just pissed off that a non-car company is beating the shit out of them at their own game.

Last edited: