2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

finally, it's over!

bring on 2012!!! and hopefully we'll get some more winners next year

i find it funny who we knew half a year ago vettel would clinch the title, yet races still resulted in furious debates spanning 10 pages. ever since vettel effectively clinched it, the threads hardly reach page 2 :lol:

Last edited:
Would you keep watching a football game if it's 8-1 with 60 minutes to go? :p

Anyway, I can't say how much Webber didn't deserve that 3rd place in the championship as well as how much Alonso did. Always pushing and challenging (and winning) with a car that wasn't quite on the money, while the Australian barely performing with one which was. Vettel's gearbox gifted him the place.

Would you keep watching a football game if it's 8-1 with 60 minutes to go? :p

Anyway, I can't say how much Webber didn't deserve that 3rd place in the championship as well as how much Alonso did. Always pushing and challenging (and winning) with a car that wasn't quite on the money, while the Australian barely performing with one which was. Vettel's gearbox gifted him the place.

Alonso certainly drove well and I really hope Ferrari and McLaren raise their game next year.

With the season over, what's your favourite race of 2011? Canadian GP 2011 is the one that edges it, seeing Button hunting down Vettel is fucking awesome from every perspective.

China....Webber coming from the back to 3rd, without the help of a safety car plus Hamilton's move on Vettel at a place on the track where I doubt anyone thought you could pass someone :)

edit: I nearly forgot about Button's SNAFU in the pits *face palm*

Last edited:
Not when your team is the one losing, which is the case for many of the people here.
The whole point of being a fan of a team and not merely a supporter is the willingness to suffer.
I think it was Nick Hornby in "Fever Pitch" who put it this way: Being a football fan is not about winning the championship. It's about driving two hundred miles to some remote town on a saturday afternoon to watch a game which you knew beforehand to most likely be bad. It's about standing in the pouring rain for ninety minutes seeing two teams fight rahter than play due to lack of talent and still root for your guys and love it.

Last edited:
The whole point of being a fan of a team and not merely a supporter is the willingness to suffer.
I think it was Nick Hornby in "Fever Pitch" who put it this way: Being a football fan is not about winning the championship. It's about driving two hundred miles to some remote town on a saturday afternoon to watch a game which you knew beforehand to most likely be bad. It's about standing in the pouring rain for ninety minutes seeing two teams fight rahter than play due to lack of talent and still root for your guys and love it.

Eh, it was a metaphor. Just take it as it is and stop being german and overanalyzing everything :p
I'm just saying it's no wonder most people stopped watching when the competition for the drivers' championship stopped being a competition, the same way someone would stop watching a game when it's a sure loss.

Yay...thats a good Christmas present. Just wish they were covering all the races, but it sounds like at least Jake will be going to the races that aren't getting "Full" coverage to do features and stuff like the pre-coverage. Good times.

Eh, it was a metaphor. Just take it as it is and stop being german and overanalyzing everything :p
I'm just saying it's no wonder most people stopped watching when the competition for the drivers' championship stopped being a competition, the same way someone would stop watching a game when it's a sure loss.

Well, if it is a metaphor, it's a bad one. People, who only support their team, when it has a chance of winning are no real fans. Case in point. Can someone remember the gazillions of Germans in red Ferrari gear between 2000 and 2006? Schumacher is back, but all his former worshippers now wear DEAD BULL caps and root for the other guy, who's winning. That's not fans - that's success tourists. The real fans are the tifosi. They'd be celebrating Ferrari at Monza, even if they were battling for position with the HRT's.

So they are being nationalistic rather then sticking with one team. Plus, most of those people probably switched their allegiance over to Vettel when Schumi left. As I recall, there wasn't another majorly successful German till Vettel. I see where you are coming from, and I tend to agree. I personally am a Button fan, and my allegiance goes with him to whatever team he is with. That said, I tend towards liking McLaren more, but not to the level as the Tifosi are with Ferrari.

Well, if it is a metaphor, it's a bad one. People, who only support their team, when it has a chance of winning are no real fans. Case in point. Can someone remember the gazillions of Germans in red Ferrari gear between 2000 and 2006? Schumacher is back, but all his former worshippers now wear DEAD BULL caps and root for the other guy, who's winning. That's not fans - that's success tourists. The real fans are the tifosi. They'd be celebrating Ferrari at Monza, even if they were battling for position with the HRT's.

no, those are called fanboys. i'm a person, i relate to and support people, not fancy colours. if those people switch team, i will change my support as well

No, those are true fans, you halfwit. But no, it's Ferrari we're talking about. We're all stupid and shouldn't cheer for our favourite team.

I'll support them through heaven and hell. In position #24 and in position #1.

no, those are called fanboys. i'm a person, i relate to and support people, not fancy colours. if those people switch team, i will change my support as well

This. It's an attitude that you support as well. I mean if McLaren were to start acting like, say, Ferrari (just using this because I don't like their attitude, while I like Red Bull's for example), I wouldn't hesitate to stop supporting them (given it outweighs how much I like the drivers). It's not because it's called McLaren that it's holy.

This is for the tifosi people round here: If every employee of Ferrari would be fired and be replaced by the equivalent McLaren employee, would you support them?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't I? I only ever see Domenicali, Smedley and the Alonso engineer-guy. I'd feel bad about them, but...everyone is replaceable. I support the team, the name, the Scuderia.

Not sure what you tried to pull off there...

Didn't try to pull off anything. I'm really amazed that's it literally a word that you support, I was curious if that was right to think that. Now how about if the current Ferrari team change their name (and only their name) to Peanuts Racing? Would you stop supporting them? What if at the same time, McLaren change their name to Ferrari?

Now you're just making stuff up in order to get me to say something. I support and cheer for the entitiy that Ferrari is. Arguably the most successful and well established team in racing history.

I'm done.

Of course I'm making stuff up. Asking questions which you answer, upon which you discover something you didn't think you thought but you do. Socratic method.

Or not...I guess...