2011 Formula 1 Season Thread

There's a big difference between nationality and ethnicity. I don't think everyone here is understanding that. Your nationality is the country you were born in, period (unless you've gone through a naturalization program to another state). But your ethnicity is your cultural heritage.

Unfortunately these things are often the same word. "I'm Irish" can mean either "I was born in Ireland" or "I'm an Irish-American" because the language doesn't differentiate.

...and I don't think people are understanding the fact that if one was to take my DNA samples, they would trace its origins to Italy and the mediterranean hence making my blood Italian. In terms of nationality, I'm Italian-American, I celebrate both cultures probably more Italian than American since let's face it, American culture is more or less non-existant.

This is a bloody F1 thread.

Stop talking about nationalities/ethnicity/what food you eat/what culture you practice.

Nobody on this forum gives a toss if you're an pakistani-italian-irish-american or whatever you declare yourself to be.

I'm sick and tired of checking this page for new posts, only to stumble across meaningless and OT crap.

So internet armchair racers and co., please resume the normal F1 service. I'd rather read driver bashing posts and made-up rumours without concrete evidence.... Actually anything is better than this ridiculous crap.

It's related, next time you wonder why I have such a boner for Ferrari you will remember: "Oh that's right, this guy is a stupid Italian." :p

It's related, next time you wonder why I have such a boner for Ferrari you will remember: "Oh that's right, this guy is a stupid Italian." :p

Actually, I'll think, "That guy thinks he should be a Ferrari fan just because some of his family several generations back were born in Italy."

If you're a Ferrari fan because you like the team and the cars that's fine, but why be a fan out of some false sense of nationalism to a country where you do not liive? Seems confusing to me.

I'm a McLaren fan, but I'm not a McLaren fan because they're British and I can trace my routes to Britain. I'm a McLaren fan because I like their road cars, I liked Prost, Senna, Hakkinen and Hamilton and because they are an established team that has a right to being one of the top teams. Not like Red Bull, which is a young team that is winning because they've bought all the best engineers.

I love Ferrari road cars. It's my favorite brand, but I can't stand their F1 team because I can't stand any of their post-Raikkonen drivers.

Actually, I'll think, "That guy thinks he should be a Ferrari fan just because some of his family several generations back were born in Italy."

If you're a Ferrari fan because you like the team and the cars that's fine, but why be a fan out of some false sense of nationalism to a country where you do not liive? Seems confusing to me.

I'm a McLaren fan, but I'm not a McLaren fan because they're British and I can trace my routes to Britain. I'm a McLaren fan because I like their road cars, I liked Prost, Senna, Hakkinen and Hamilton and because they are an established team that has a right to being one of the top teams. Not like Red Bull, which is a young team that is winning because they've bought all the best engineers.

I love Ferrari road cars. It's my favorite brand, but I can't stand their F1 team because I can't stand any of their post-Raikkonen drivers.

That's pretty dumb in several levels which I will not explain, but the last sentence really gets me. Even more because it's a plural (drivers) when you can only point out one, Alonso. Unless you count Massa's substitutes in 2009, which I wouldn't.

Technically you're an American-Italian as you were born in the US. :]

"An Italian American (Italian: italoamericano singular, Italian: italoamericani plural), is an American of Italian ancestry."

I didn't write the rules.

Several generations back? Try A generation back.

Hi, have we never heard of the term "joke"? You know those phrases people say to make someone laugh or smile?

Jesus christ people.

Last edited:
I'm a Singaporean Chinese Ferrari fan. So what gives?

Back to Formula 1 now ok? :) For those who haven't watched it, go find a copy of Grand Prix: The Killer Years. One of the highlights is a Jim Clark lap. And honestly speaking, modern F1 drivers are big, but the early F1 drivers balls are probably huge and made of adamantium or something.

After reading through this thread and being on one side of a misunderstanding it's come to my attention that Ferrari fans must have a different definition of "joke" to everyone else.*
Anyway, can we get off this nationality debate and get back on to something that more of us actually care about...say...the 2011 Formula One Season

*This is in a light-hearted manner for those of you among us who find the internet a confusing place.

If you're a Ferrari fan because you like the team and the cars that's fine, but why be a fan out of some false sense of nationalism to a country where you do not live? Seems confusing to me.

In Italy and to Italians, Ferrari is as good as a national team. So as an Italian why can't Cellos support a team because of his nationality? It's like in the Olympics where you see athletes you've never heard of in some sport but you support them anyway because they're from the same country as you. However, since Cellos has Italian heritage as far back as he can trace I'd say he has every right to support Ferrari.

I'm a McLaren fan because I like their road cars, I liked Prost, Senna, Hakkinen and Hamilton and because they are an established team that has a right to being one of the top teams. Not like Red Bull, which is a young team that is winning because they've bought all the best engineers.

What a laugh. You critisise Cellos for thinking he has "some false sense of nationalism to a country where he does not live" and in the next sentence declare your passion for McLaren because you think they have "a right to being one of the top teams" but not Red Bull (who've genuinely worked hard to get where they are). So you're allowed to have a false sense of righteousness about McLaren, where as, Cellos (whose family have been Italians for generations) can not support Ferrari?

Last edited:
I am against any religion. I don't discriminate. Also, being anti islam has nothing to do with racism.

same here, i'm not a racist on race, i'm a racist on religion
and i don't care which one, if you're a strong believer in any religion, you're too stupid to exist

Welcome to the "2011 Formula 1 Supporters are Idiots Thread"

Nice try to get some F1 in there settler.

If Trulli still can't sort out his issue with the steering, I'm afraid he will be permanently replaced.

Well, he is almost at the end of his F1 career anyway.

To be honest, I'm surprised he's still around.

If Trulli still can't sort out his issue with the steering, I'm afraid he will be permanently replaced.

Well, he is almost at the end of his F1 career anyway.

I have to admit its a strange complaint. Very reminiscent of Ralf Schumacher's days at Toyota where it was never his fault, always the car.

Maybe Bernie gave Lotus a hint that he wanted to see an Indian driver at the Indian GP, and that's why they try Chandhok out? ;)