2011 Formula 1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

Props to the BBC for their opening ... "My power boost did not work, hmmm" :lmao: "Look, my flying machine!" :rofl:

Drive of the day has got to be by Webber, just edging Hamilton.

Lots of good overtaking action during the race and Vettel didn't win, which would have been boring.

LOL Button in the box. :lol:

He did

Good race I guess, lots of overtakings and changes of lead, great for the spectacle but I wonder how good is it all this for the actual racing? How many of those overtakings were out of difference in driver skill/daring/aggression and how many just out of difference in the tyres?
We all love the overtakings and the action but I feel it's getting a bit to the level where races are entirely won or lost at the tyre gamble.

I understand exactly what you're saying but you could also make the same gambling statement about those dry/wet races where you have the whole "Slicks? Inters? Wets?" deal :|

The way I look at it is that there's 2 choices this year; go like stink and take your 'penalty' by having to stop more, or conserve the tyres and take the 'penalty' by not driving quite as fast as those who have decided to go for broke....both still take driver skill as you never know what was the right option until the end I reckon :)

why is everyone so hard on button?

if you rule out his error in the pits, he only got overtaken by hamilton, who went on to win, and got overtaken by webber, who overtook everybody today!
not his best, but a solid performance as well if you ask me?

Last edited:
Finally Red Bull got their pants pulled down! Great race by Lewis!

It was an entertaining race to watch, I enjoyed it.
I'm not up on F1 regulations. Was Massa's pit out when he crossed the white lines legal?

I'm not up on F1 regulations. Was Massa's pit out when he crossed the white lines legal?

Yes. The strict enforcement of not crossing the white pit exit line with any part of the car only is in effect where the pit exit is part of the proper race track.
He crossed it earlier, with no risk of impeding faster cars.

Yes. The strict enforcement of not crossing the white pit exit line with any part of the car only is in effect where the pit exit is part of the proper race track.
He crossed it earlier, with no risk of impeding faster cars.

And the commentary mentioned that he wasn't actually the only one who did that. No penalties were issued, therefore we can only conclude that cutting that bit of white line is not frowned upon.

I understand exactly what you're saying but you could also make the same gambling statement about those dry/wet races where you have the whole "Slicks? Inters? Wets?" deal :|

The way I look at it is that there's 2 choices this year; go like stink and take your 'penalty' by having to stop more, or conserve the tyres and take the 'penalty' by not driving quite as fast as those who have decided to go for broke....both still take driver skill as you never know what was the right option until the end I reckon :)

You can't really make a crazy 4-stop-all-flat-out-Schumacheresque strategy cos they limit the amount of softs... which is just counterproductive I think

Amazing drive from Webber. Haters can hate, but that was a fantastic piece of driving, and probably the drive of his life. Another lap and he would have had Vettel, another couple and Hamilton would have been under threat. Brilliant.

I'm a RBR fan, but as MW was saying in the conference (despite how awkward it sounded after he realised what he'd said), it was great to see Seb not win for a change.

I think you mean petulant? Pestilent = diseased. Petulant = childish/sulky/bad-tempered.

Wasn't a problem for Webber :hmm:
Yeah, petulant, my autocorrect doesn't like that word.
Also, WHAT A RACE!!!

Last edited:
Absolute stunner of a race!

So how do all those people feel, who yesterday littered this thread with those ridiculous conspiracy theories about RBR deliberately giving Mark an inferior car?

But that leads me to a different question. Why is it that people can't support a driver without downright hating the competition? I've read quite a few anti-Vettel sentiments in here, which doesn't really make sense. The guy's funny and quite a departure from the streamlined, media-schooled driver variety, so there's a lot to like about him. As a German, my money's on him of course, but that doesn't mean that I have to go on a Hamilton-hate-rage because he beat him. I can appreciate a stonking drive if I see it and both Mark and Lewis delivered just that, brilliant :D. Both of them were miles better than Vettel, because that two-stopper tretched the tires durability a bit too long. Not even Button would've made them work for that long. So he's second - still a brilliant drive. I would really hope that people stopped posting negative comments, just because their favorite driver didn't win, because when you bash any driver, you might be offending those, who like him and it could be your favorite driver, who's the subject of nasty comments next - and no one of us really needs that.

Last edited:
Looking back, this was one of the best races and one that overtaking had to be done to win the race.

Hockenheim 2008 and this, oh my, classic Hamilton drives.

Actually, i don't only support drivers. I conciously "unsupport" as in don't like and don't want them to succed, four drivers (the silver-spoon-in-their mouth golden boy trio of VET, HAM, MSC and eyebrow man). That does not mean that i'll go into crazy conspiracy theories or want them to die in a firey accident, but it does mean i'll cheer when they make a mistake and I want them to finish behind their teammate, ideally in a frustrating 11th place, just out of the points.

Last edited:
Actually, i don't only support drivers. I conciously "unsupport" as in don't like and don't want them to succed, four drivers (the silver-spoon-in-their mouth golden boy trio of VET, HAM, MSC and eyebrow man). That does not mean that i'll go into crazy conspiracy theories or want them to die in a firey accident, but it does mean i'll cheer when they make a mistake and I want them to finish behind their teammate, ideally in a frustrating 11th place, just out of the points.

That's the opposite of me. I think "unsupporting" is just ridiculous. I don't like Vettel, I don't like Alonso. But in a race, I want Hamilton to win and whereever Vettel and Alonso finish, that's great for them. In many ways if it's a tight fight like this weekend it's even better when Lewis comes out on top. It's what I really don't like about many sports fans (on here, especially Ferrari fans let's be honest) who seem to derive more pleasure out of the others losing than them winning. It's the same thing that bugs me about Vettel as a character.

I'd rather McLaren win both championships by a tiny margin than with a clean swipe, it means it's been a tough one. And well done to those who finished second. Why is that so hard to say?

Also mpicco actually made a good point about the tyres. Honestly that two-tyre rule is now redundant. They should take it away, and give them more tyres to play with. There will be action enough in the pits without the rule.