Unveiled: 2012/3 Toyota GT-86 (Was FT-86)

I doubt it will cost $30k in the U.S. It'll probably be in Mustang V6/Miata territory.

Unless Mazda really messes up the next Miata I'd rather have that. Insurance on it would definately be cheaper than a Scion branded Toyatabru (the current TC is one of the most expensive to insure vehicles in the US).

Macstruts? under 200hp? no turbo (so not easily tuned)? I'd rather get a V6 stang or the turbo Genesis....

It feels kind of awkwardly proportioned, and that 30,000 GBP price tag is ridiculous. But if they lower the price in North America and it's a hoot to drive, I'd love it.

Last edited:
I can't see anything in that cluttered engine bay shot, but will it have a proper steering rack or drive by wire?

I have a few pictures of the car being tested and shown for the japanese market. Apparently, the car will be called the 86 in Japan, without the "GT".
Anyway, here are the pictures, some with different kits on.

http://img263.imageshack.**/img263/6952/32905027997555203988818.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.**/img412/9590/32780227999384203805918.jpg
http://img267.imageshack.**/img267/2888/31714710150398593726840.jpg
http://img846.imageshack.**/img846/2524/33297628007230536354618.jpg
http://img577.imageshack.**/img577/8885/32546627999724870438518.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see anything in that cluttered engine bay shot, but will it have a proper steering rack or drive by wire?

By drive by wire do you mean electric rather than hydraulic assistance for the rack? I'd presume it will have electric power steering - but that's not drive by wire, there's still a physical connection between the steering wheel & rack.

By drive by wire do you mean electric rather than hydraulic assistance for the rack? I'd presume it will have electric power steering - but that's not drive by wire, there's still a physical connection between the steering wheel & rack.

Drive by wire, like fly by wire, means there is no physical connection between the controls and what they control. For a sports car I'd want to be able to feel the road through the connection to the wheels.

Drive by wire, like fly by wire, means there is no physical connection between the controls and what they control. For a sports car I'd want to be able to feel the road through the connection to the wheels.

Apololgies - thought you meant electric power assistance when you said 'drive by wire' since it seems to be common misconception. I'm not actually aware of any production cars that have drive by wire, this won't be any different.

BMW has been using drive-by-wire for years as has Toyota. The industry has been moving in that direction.

Apololgies - thought you meant electric power assistance when you said 'drive by wire' since it seems to be common misconception. I'm not actually aware of any production cars that have drive by wire, this won't be any different.

This. I have never heard of drive by wire steering.

edit: All I can find is that BMW started using a drive by wire throttle and while I can't find a better source, here's what Wiki says on steer-by-wire.

Last edited:
BMW has been using drive-by-wire for years as has Toyota. The industry has been moving in that direction.

I'm pretty positive that despite the fancy names, there's still a physical steering column involved and it's just fancy systems of varying the amout of assistance provided and / or the steering ratio - the physical connection is still there. The industry is definitely moving to electric, rather than hydraulic, means of providing the power assistance (the 991 911 being the latest example).

Last edited:
I've never heard of any car to have the steering wheel completely detached from the wheels. IMO that would be just retarded and kinda dangerous. It's mostly just electric and hydraulic systems, the feeling depends on how much the systems are assisting.

Am I the only one that finds this car bland and boring? Looks like the bastard child of a Nissan 350Z and a Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Am I the only one that finds this car bland and boring? Looks like the bastard child of a Nissan 350Z and a Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

Yeah, it's not great, and I don't think that color is helping it very much. Overall it's a bit disappointing. I'm curious to see what the next Miata will look like, hopefully they will do a better job with the styling, and interior.

Have to say I am pretty much underwhelmed by the car.
After all the hype around it, just seemed to have been a little meh.
Wonder what the price will be here in OZ?

I've never heard of any car to have the steering wheel completely detached from the wheels. IMO that would be just retarded and kinda dangerous. It's mostly just electric and hydraulic systems, the feeling depends on how much the systems are assisting.

Exactly. If it were a pure electical system with no physical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels, it'd be impossible to steer the car when it's turned off or has a dead battery.

I was confusing some of the terminology, apparently computer controlled throttles and breaks are lumped into "drive-by-wire", steering by wire has only appeared in a few electrics vehicles and concepts.

Last edited: