Ownership Verified: 2012 Ariel Atom 3 - K20Z3

jsausley

Car(s)
'16 Audi S5, '14 CC R-Line, '12 Ariel Atom 3
It's been a while but I finally picked up the new toy today from TMI Autotech at VIR in Alton, VA. This car was the original Ariel Atom 3 prototype, the first Atom 3 produced by TMI Autotech here in the United States and also the only Atom 3 that is powered by the Honda K20Z3, the engine from the previous Ariel Atom 2. The differences between the K20 and the K24 are numerous, but despite the K24's higher peak power and lower end torque, the K20 is much preferred by Honda enthusiasts for its more balanced powerband, higher rev limit and more aggressive VTEC profile. (I'm no Honda expert, but this is what I've learned in researching and purchasing this car.)

I am fortunate enough to live only an hour from Virginia International Raceway, which is where TMI Autotech is located. I have been looking at these Atoms for quite some time after spending a day at VIR for the Atom Driving Experience last year, so when the deal to buy this special prototype car came up, I couldn't say no. This car ended up costing about 20% less than a brand new Ariel Atom 3 with a K24 engine because it was the first Atom 3 produced and, technically, "an older" car. However, even after my test drive, the car still only has 51 miles on it. Yes, it's about a year old, but it's a brand new car as it was kept at TMI for publicity reasons and was never sold or tracked (apart from its test drive after construction). Furthermore, because it has the engine from an Atom 2 it is technically unique and 1 of 1 in the United States.

I will continue to update this thread with more details about the Atom as I become more familiar with it. It includes the full street kit, including lights, turn signals, a windshield wiper and full windscreen. I had TMI install the additional front and rear carbon fiber wings as optional extras because the added appearance really changes the look of the car. Additionally, I'm fully aware of how twitchy these cars can be at high speeds, so the added downforce is a huge bonus. It is equipped with the big brake package and Yokohama AD08 street tires. The Bilstein adjustable shocks are different from the SRA-spec race cars that I drove at the Atom Driving Experience, and are tuned for a softer, street-performance type ride rather than hard and unforgiving like the race version. This also helps the car respond more casually to inputs, and therefore safer on the street, while still retaining quite a bit of the Atom's aggressive driving feel.

One thing that I will definitely be looking to add in the future, after registering the car here in North Carolina (this may take a few weeks, even a month, due to the DMV and such) are the side panels. After driving the car in the cold air today, I can definitely see the benefit in reducing amount of wind that barrages the driver and passenger. Additionally, it would be nice not to get pelted by rocks while turning. :lol:

Without further ado, here she is:

2013-02-14_16-07-48_87.jpg

2013-02-14_16-07-56_254.jpg

2013-02-14_16-08-03_592.jpg

2013-02-14_16-08-10_470.jpg

2013-02-14_16-08-18_139.jpg

2013-02-14_16-08-25_505.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

At TMI, ready to be brought home:

delivery.jpg

And the pudding:

proof.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Once it is registered and the weather warms up, it will be somewhat of a DD when I can get away with it. It's surprisingly docile when you need it to be and (somewhat) comfortable with the street springs. Obviously there are issues. No cupholders, luggage space, locks of any kind, extremely low (and extremely expensive) front carbon fiber spoiler, no shielding from rain and only room for one passenger. And that passenger must not care about his/her hair very much. But at least the gas mileage is excellent! :lol:

From page 1 of the "Owner's Handbook":

"You've got an Ariel Atom! Driven sensibly and looked after properly, your Ariel Atom should give you years of reliable, trouble-free motoring. But you aren't going to treat it sensibly are you? You're going to hoon around with an enormous grin on your face. So here's some of the stuff you need to know to ensure that your Atom is as enjoyable and as safe as possible."

How do they know me so well? :lol:

Last edited:
Your car is cooler than Viper's.

Somehow a windscreen looks wrong on an Atom. :D
Anyway, this is a serious contestant for the coolest car on FinalGear. Have much fun with it. :)

Awesome! :thumbsup:

I honestly think this screams "Fuck yeah!" much louder than a 700hp V8 monster.

Congrats!

Me = jealous.

Wow! Goddamned! I thought it was a new car or something! For us, please. For all of us here on Analgear, will you please, please hoon the shit out of it?

Best car on the forum. Also, the best piece of scaffolding on the forum.

Beautiful, congratulations. One thing you need to do for us (and this should be a forum rule for all past and future Atom owners) is get us a picture of your best Clarkson-Atom face.

Ariel-Atom-2-Clarkson.jpg

And since this seems to be the done thing at the moment, I am.

Last edited:
Very nice! It's cool to see that stuff like this can still be registered for street use.

I'm curious to know though:

Why not a bike?

Well, honestly, bikes scare the hell out of me. Not because of the bike as much as the fact that random people on the roads rarely see you on a bike. This.. feels safer, at least. :p

Somehow a windscreen looks wrong on an Atom. :D
Anyway, this is a serious contestant for the coolest car on FinalGear. Have much fun with it. :)

I don't know about all of that, we have some amazing metal here.. Besides, it's not the first Atom on FinalGear. But thanks just the same!

Wow! Goddamned! I thought it was a new car or something! For us, please. For all of us here on Analgear, will you please, please hoon the shit out of it?

Will do my best, and will definitely get some GoPro footage of it!

Beautiful, congratulations. One thing you need to do for us (and this should be a forum rule for all past and future Atom owners) is get us a picture of your best Clarkson-Atom face.

Ariel-Atom-2-Clarkson.jpg

And since this seems to be the done thing at the moment, I am.

LOL! I can make that happen, I think. It won't be pretty, but it shouldn't be any worse than Clarkson himself. HAH!

Haha, I'm still a little jealous of your 7. I was actually looking at building a Caterham instead of the Atom. It would have been a fun and engaging learning experience but in the end, having the Atom factory less than an hour away from my residence is too big of a benefit to deny. This way if I ever have any trouble with anything, it's only a small ride away! :lol:

Congrats on the car! I hope I can own one, one day as well!

I really like the look with the windscreen. I could imagine it being a lot more comfortable as well ;)

Last edited: