Ownership Verified: 2012 Ariel Atom 3 - K20Z3

TAGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might have some more posts and pictures, maybe even some videos, coming soon. ;)

Did you get it registered in NC? I have been looking for a long time to see if anyone could get it successfully done. I would be interested in hearing about the process!!

Thanks,

John

Did you get it registered in NC? I have been looking for a long time to see if anyone could get it successfully done. I would be interested in hearing about the process!!

Thanks,

John

Yes, it's actually not any trouble at all. You have to have a Bill of Sale from TMI as well as the manufacturer's build sheet, fill out an MVR form (can't remember the number, but you can download it on ncdmv.gov) and then have a DMV inspector check out the car. He'll come by and do various road-worthiness checks, such as engine emissions, tires, headlights/tailights/wipers/mirrors and check the car's serial (it won't have a VIN yet). Then you get him to sign off on a form, mail everything you have to Raleigh and in about 6-8 weeks you'll get a VIN number assigned to you. They don't send you the title or the sticker (it's basically a VIN tag), instead it goes to your county's DMV officer. So the DMV inspector will come back out, apply the sticker in two appropriate places (one on the firewall and one underneath the car in an inconspicuous place, in case it is stolen it should be somewhere the criminal is unlikely to look). Now your car exists according to the state of North Carolina and you just have to take the newly issued title and bill-of-sale, get some insurance on the car (I had to get Progressive on it as Geico, State Farm and Nationwide wouldn't cover a kit car, which is what this is marked as) take everything to DMV and you'll get a tag. Then you're good to go!

According to my inspector, it should be even easier for anyone else in North Carolina to do this now that I've done it. This was the first Atom registered in NC so DMV had to correspond with TMI quite a bit in order to make sure they were a legal and recognized custom car constructor. The 6-8 weeks shouldn't take nearly as long (someone in W-S got theirs done in about 2 weeks after this car had set the precedent for the state).

Last edited:
jsausley, I saw your post and am not even sure if you will see my post. I am located in Greensboro, NC and have been seriously considering purchasing a Ariel Atom 3. I went up to TMI a couple months ago to check out the facility and would really like to have the opportunity to see and feel what the Atom is really all about. I have tried to find out when VIR is having an Atom track day, but have had no luck. If you have any information please let me know! Sweet car and hopefully I will have one soon!!!

jsausley, I saw your post and am not even sure if you will see my post. I am located in Greensboro, NC and have been seriously considering purchasing a Ariel Atom 3. I went up to TMI a couple months ago to check out the facility and would really like to have the opportunity to see and feel what the Atom is really all about. I have tried to find out when VIR is having an Atom track day, but have had no luck. If you have any information please let me know! Sweet car and hopefully I will have one soon!!!

Hey, sorry for the late response -- I PMed you as well.

Call Graham Howe at TMI Autotech. He is a good friend of mine, we have raced together. Tell him Jordan referred you. He will point you in the right direction toward an Atom Driving Experience and any information you need about getting in an Atom.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you have!

Hey there @Jsausley...... sorry I am just now seeing your post. I have only posted on here twice so it is not letting me see any of my private messages as it is showing me that I have none. It says that I cannot access the "Private Messaging System" until I have made more posts.
If you are still on this message board...... what would you say is the best source for buying an used Atom 3? I have been over to Arielatomchat.com and their classified section is pretty much dead. I have used Google and am finding a little bit, but not much at all.
I think that I am ready to pull the trigger so I am getting excited, but I have to find a street legal Atom that is nearby for me to purchase. Thanks a ton and sorry that I missed your message as I never come on here.

Hey there @jsausley, I have tried to send you a personal message, but this forum is not allowing me to as I think I have too few posts. It is not allowing me to view the private message you sent me either. Can you post your e-mail or let me know of a way I can contact you so I can ask you a few questions about your Atom 3. I am going to TMI this Friday and Mark is going to give me a ride in the new Ariel Atom 3s so I can see what the Atom experience is all about.