Rumour Mill: 2012 BMW 1-Series May Go Retro, Lose Some Weight

Dino

aka Dins
Car(s)
Porsche Boxster S / Audi A4 Avant
http://img209.imageshack.**/img209/1971/bmw1seriessupersport.jpg

The BMW 1-Series illustrates the gap between what enthusiasts want and what customers will buy. A modern 2002 tii was what we wanted, and BMW may be delivering exactly that in the next generation.

Car magazine is reporting the next version of the 1-series, slated for 2011 production will take a different direction compared to the 1er we have today. The new car will come in a variety of body styles including a coupe, a hatchback and a uniquely styled model dubbed the Supersport. The Supersport is the car which gets us worked up, bearing throwback styling like round headlights, eyebrow style turn signals, and a body-ringing character line. The Ess-Ess would slot between the 135i and the M3 with a rumored two-ish liter twin-turbo, direct injection four cylinder with positively felonious power figures, think 300 BHP and about 330 lb-ft of torque.

The other two models would share less raucous styling and get more normal engines, but there's the possibility of a stripped-out model in the form of a 115i, which would more bare bones than any BMW in years. Is it possible? Is BMW listening to the complaints and desires of its enthusiasts? Sounds impossible, but it may be true.

http://jalopnik.com/5172365/2012-bmw-1+series-may-go-retro-lose-some-weight

Please Please Please Please Please Please!!!!!

Well, the retro thing has done wonders for the US car industry - can't blame the Germans for wanting a piece of it.

2ish liter twin trubo 4cyl? Really? Listen BMW i am ALLLLL about you embracing the wonderful world of Forced Induction for your road cars but for gods sake why go twins and a small displacement 4cyl all it is gonna do is add complexity heat and to a certain extent weight for what benefit? not like twins are gonna spool faster than a GT28R already would on say 2.2L. Shit just doesn't make sense

It sounds like it's 99% rumor. Considering how BMW went parallel twins on their I6 petrol engines I'm betting the same on the I4. Their diesels on the other hand may go sequential.

I do like the sound of BMW's idea of retro, far better than the American car companies concept for retro (more weight and old looking cars rather than light weight).

Nice concept art; it's the 2012 BMW 135i steamroller edition.

What on God's green earth were they thinking with THAT front end. Love the sides though. See some pre E30 in there.

Well all their designers are leaving, maybe they have no choice than piece together old parts and call it retro.

115i ROFL, more like "iwantabmwreallybadly"

I want a 101 ;)

I like the idea. The 1 series is wonderful (if a bit pricy).

Oh good, if they do this right I will definately buy it (and that's the first time I said something like this).

I wouldn't mind if this would happen. but replace the heavy twinturbo with supercharger setup.. :cool:

I doubt their are going to call it the 135 SS. It's not PC.

Anyway, I noticed that the designer wrote Zurbo in mirrored writing on the windshield. Nice throwback but atleast get the letters right.

BMW, now actually styled to look like a turd! :bmw:

I'm all for smaller engines,etc. I don't need a 300 hp 2l turbo.

I know I'd buy a new car that looked exactly like a 2002 tii...:nod: