2012 BMW 3 Series

I actually like the low front end. I think that will be a classic design in a few years time, it makes the car look muscular and very distinctively BMW.

I really like it. At first the front end put me off, but after scrolling through all the photos, it grew on me that fast. The only thing I don't really like is how identical the rear end looks with the new 5-series.

I actually like the low front end. I think that will be a classic design in a few years time, it makes the car look muscular and very distinctively BMW.

I couldn't agree with you more, I can definitely see a regression back to more traditional forms of BMW styling. It definitely looks much more like a BMW than the E90. Still, I still thinks it looks just a touch to pudgy, the lines needs to be tightened and more aggressive.

I really like it. At first the front end put me off, but after scrolling through all the photos, it grew on me that fast. The only thing I don't really like is how identical the rear end looks with the new 5-series.

I was actually hoping for this. I think the 5-series rear is one of it's best features and I'm happy to see it again on the new 3-series.

It's a great step up from the E90 that never really worked for me. I think the new front will look great IRL, with the more 3D-ish kidneys etc.

I would (like most people here?) be most interested in the sport line or M package, but I'm not quite sure about the red and blue interior detailing. To me it's just on the verge of being tacky. On one hand it gives a little color and life to the interior, on the other hand It could be something a 18 year old would do to his hot hatch...

I guess I will have to see it for real.

I like the front end, nice and low, which is not something I thought would happen anymore because of the pedestrian safety rules. The rest of car is about average, typical 3 series blandness, but I'm OK with that.

Straight cut bonnet line, opinions? Thoughts? Discuss.

F30_Sport_72.jpg

Terrible, it didn't bother me before, now I can't stop noticing it. Here's it without the line. Why couldn't they of just made the whole hood lift up like it used to?

http://img846.imageshack.**/img846/1293/smoke1800.jpg

^ yep. At first I thought 'this has to be a mistake' but I went back and looked all those promo photos in the start of the thread, yup, that hood line is there...

Didn't really notice it until edkwon pointed it out...

The 5 series has the same line. Probably has something to do with pedestrian safety.

I doubt BMW would think this way but I'd say it's for economical reasons. like if you smashed the chrome kidney surrounds now you probably won't have to replace the entire hood/bonnet. Although usually it's the cheaper cars that are built with easy repairs in mind.

I doubt BMW would think this way but I'd say it's for economical reasons. like if you smashed the chrome kidney surrounds now you probably won't have to replace the entire hood/bonnet. Although usually it's the cheaper cars that are built with easy repairs in mind.

I think cost considerations is the obvious reason...for all the points you said. i was thinking the same thing. But I'm not a BMW bean counter, so I don't know how the comparitive costs break down. Stamping out a flat sheet is probably a lot cheaper than an integrated bonnet/kidney grill unit.

:p Damn you edkwon, now I can't stop seeing it either! :mad:

Didn't really notice it until edkwon pointed it out...

Trust me, I didn't notice either until someone else posted that photo on another forum, and now it just bugs me. I suspect all the BMW promo literature photos have been digitally touched up, or photographed at the proper angle to take attention away from the bonnet gap. But the problem is the photo from the motor show is how human eyes will actually see it.

Last edited:
Introducing the new 2012 BMW 3 Series!

Madoff2.jpg

Wait, no, that's actually Bernard Madoff. Sorry.

As in: "Mate, remember how you got totally pissed and vomited all over that fit gal on Dave's birthday? That was claaassic!"

I think BMW got to the point, a few years ago, where their cars just could not look any better than they do. Like this:
2003_bmw_m3_csl_02_m.jpg
While I wouldn't agree that Bangle ruined BMW, I am totally with you this being probably the handsomest 3 ever built.