2012 Camaro ZL1 (WOW!!)

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-photo-437192-s-787x481.jpg

2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-photo-437217-s-787x481.jpg

2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-interior-photo-437229-s-787x481.jpg

Discuss (see links below)

In summary, this is NOT simply a Camaro stuffed with more power (although it's got plenty of that, too). Honestly, I'm more impressed by this car than the upcoming 2013 GT500 with its 200 mph ability. Forget the C63 AMG Coupe (my previous "want"), I heart this car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-test-review

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...012_chevrolet_corvette_grand_sport/index.html

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/01/25/preview-2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-is-a-supercar-bargain/

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/277876/driven_2012_chevrolet_camaro_zl1.html

http://cars.about.com/od/chevrolet/fr/2012-Chevrolet-Camaro-Zl1-Review.htm

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, this car did a 7:41 on the N'ring. Video included.

[video=youtube;LWFP6LM-_q8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFP6LM-_q8[/video]

And a 2:52 at Virginia International Raceway (rapidly becoming North America's version of a 'ring, in terms of testing and posting lap times)

Looks great and sounds good too!

Fugly, fat and needs too much power to compete with even a stock Mustang GT. With all that power and it has similar acceleration numbers as a new stock 5.0 for double the price over the Stang. Hell a stock M3 is a much better cheaper bargain over this Camaro. Never thought I'd say that. :lol:

And VIR isn't an American Nurburgring, not even close. Until a long 10+ kilometer 100+ corner track gets built then we cannot start a comparison.

If I wanted a fat heavy expensive V8 American coupe I'd choose an SRT Challenger. At least the Challenger sounds good. :D

Last edited:
Fugly, fat and needs too much power to compete with even a stock Mustang GT. With all that power and it has similar acceleration numbers as a new stock 5.0 for double the price over the Stang. Hell a stock M3 is a much better cheaper bargain over this Camaro. Never thought I'd say that. :lol:

And VIR isn't an American Nurburgring, not even close. Until a long 10+ kilometer 100+ corner track gets built then we cannot start a comparison.

If I wanted a fat heavy expensive V8 American coupe I'd choose an SRT Challenger. At least the Challenger sounds good. :D

It's not ugly. Not in the slightest. While I'm not particularly excited about it, it's a decent car.

And who says VIR can't be America's 'Ring? Why does it have to be a 10+ km, 100+ turn behemoth? Why can't it just be a racetrack that has a good mix of corner types and good elevation changes to put a car through its paces? Which is exactly what VIR does.

Also, the only Mustang I see on that list is a GT500.

And who says VIR can't be America's 'Ring? Why does it have to be a 10+ km, 100+ turn behemoth? Why can't it just be a racetrack that has a good mix of corner types and good elevation changes to put a car through its paces? Which is exactly what VIR does.
+1 (do we still do +1's) :)

Sadly, I don't think fanboys that jump on the bandwagon is ever going to get it, though. They only stick to what's popular.

Not a big fan of it in this guise but I like it all the same if only because, like the Mustang and Challenger it is quintessentially American looking, sounding and behaving beast. Some people like to slice thru corners, some to hold on for dear life.

I agree it has some nice corners, but it looks a bit like someone just layed down some concrete in the middle of a huge field. A bit like a construction site too, with all the sand and mud. Are they modifying/renovating?

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. This car clearly outperforms (in a straight line, around a circuit) a stock 5.0 Mustang, the Boss Mustang, and the similarly priced GT500 (2013 version notwithstanding). The M3 (including the GTS) is also similarly outperformed by the ZL1. See all published 0-to-whatever you wish, as well as lap times at both Nurburgring and VIR.

I made the analogy not because of the size of the course at VIR, but because of its burgeoning significance in measuring a car's track performance, much like how car companies like to tout N-ring lap times. I stand by my previous description.

The Camaro (especially in ZL1 guise) is heavy. No question. But the evidence is plain and clear for anyone to see.... this pig can dance. Doesn't mean you have to like it. Opinions, and all that.

It's too fat, but I think it looks alright. I'd rather own a GT500 though, especially when that 2013 drops. Now once the next-gen Camaro comes out riding the same Alpha platform that the ATS is on, it'll be ~3400lbs and interest me much more.

M/T Head 2 Head w/ Boss 302 LS edition & ZL1

Not exactly surprising, considering the price and power gap, but I suppose the same will be true when the GT500 comes along.

Personally, I really love the GT500, but I really hate it at the same time. Ever since Ford cancelled the GT supercar, they don't really have anything to challenge the Corvette or Viper. So they just keep putting more power in the old solid axle Mustang and I find that a bit lazy. Ford has had a few good looking supercar concepts, any one of which would be impressive with future GT500 levels of power. But instead Ford gives us another solid axle Mustang that will be awesome, no doubt, but always punctuated with "for a solid axle car".