2012 Car Launches and Testing Thread

It can't be the carbon fibre, as essentially, it's carbon, and the melting point of that is at 4,000ish deg C and at super duper high pressures. The tires would have melted, as will everything else, before it's the carbon fibre.

So it's probably just poor lighting

You're wrong, that is a burning floor problem.

It can't be the carbon fibre, as essentially, it's carbon, and the melting point of that is at 4,000ish deg C and at super duper high pressures. The tires would have melted, as will everything else, before it's the carbon fibre.

So it's probably just poor lighting

for carbon it is indeed. the resin that hold the carbon together melts at a way lower temp though

It's a shame these cars aren't involved in an activity that enables them to travel at speeds where you don't notice their noses quite so much. We can only dream...

stepped nose or not, i think this car looks great!
fw34-rear-adam-cooper1.jpg

I do have to agree with that argument... When so much is being put forward to "improve the spectacle" for overtaking, broadcasting in HD and ultra slow motion... but with those cars looking like that, come on. When someone asks you why you love F1, I think I'm not the only one saying "cos the cars look fantastic and aggressive!"... there goes that argument.

Looks like some of the F1 insiders are getting antsy about possible consequences of the butt-ugly 2012 machinery :lol:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97412

I have to agree. Looking back to 2004-5 when I got into F1 it was mostly because the cars were amazing to look at and made a great noise... Now what? A new fan will take one look at the cars, listen to the engines (which will get much worse next year) and simply walk away... Hell even Nascars look better these days and that's saying a lot.

I have to say that for the first time since I started following F1 I'm actually fearful for it's future if they keep making it less and less fun for the fans.

I don't get all the hate. The sound is still amazing (and will stay that way, even with turbos) and the cars will smoothen up, I am sure about that.

I don't get all the hate. The sound is still amazing (and will stay that way, even with turbos) and the cars will smoothen up, I am sure about that.

This. And most people still watch F1 for the racing, so it won't matter that some of the cars look "ugly".

I bet there will come some kind of regulation to make the cars "prettier" again like they did with the X-wings on the sidepods back in the late nineties (although safety was the official explenation).

I don't mind that they look a little less pretty. Gives them a more engineered, technical look.

Yet again I have to think newcomers are affected by first impressions and if I try to get my little godson who is 3 into F1 he'll look at the cars and go "wtf is this shit?"
For once I'm hoping the McLarens are the fastest cars so everyone else copies their noses...

Yet again I have to think newcomers are affected by first impressions and if I try to get my little godson who is 3 into F1 he'll look at the cars and go "wtf is this shit?"
For once I'm hoping the McLarens are the fastest cars so everyone else copies their noses...

The whole car is based around a low cofg nose. The other teams can't just copy the nose and think they're gonna win.

Whether the cars will become smoother again depends on results and wind tunnel figures.

As for the sound: I was at a F1 race when they had the V8s, but with periscope exhausts and no blown diffusers, and the sound was still overwhelming. And the turbos: listen to the new Indycars, listen to 1980s F1 cars, the sound will be the same and it will not be shabby at all.

Pop Quiz,

What does this car have (ignore arrows):
*pic*
That this car doesn't:
*pic*

Wing profile (downforce-generating) on the rear wishbone?

Last edited: