2012 Car Launches and Testing Thread

Nope.

New ones are going to be single turbo. Single Turbo V6s sound terrible to me. Give them twin turbo, so we can have proper 80s F1 engines!

The first V6 turbo engines in F1 were single-turbo. And the Honda V6 for Indycar this year is single-turbo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgoZmky3d8I Listen here and tell me if there's any highly significant difference between the two engines in the video (the Chevy V6 is twin-turbo).

(And that's pretty much how F1 engines of 2014 should sound like, it's 1.6 l instead of 2.2 but the same kind of power level)

Last edited:
Nope.

New ones are going to be single turbo. Single Turbo V6s sound terrible to me. Give them twin turbo, so we can have proper 80s F1 engines!

covette V8 also sound terrible to me. ferrari V8 sounds awesome!
you can't compare one engine with another, and definitely can't compare a cheap mass production single turbo V6 with an F1 engine!!!

they will sound brutal!

covette V8 also sound terrible to me. ferrari V8 sounds awesome!
you can't compare one engine with another, and definitely can't compare a cheap mass production single turbo V6 with an F1 engine!!!

they will sound brutal!

nope. I've heard single turbine race V6s, they're kinda boring. As I said in the engine thread, we should mandate V16s of 1.5L for the field.

They'll most likely sound like this one did:

buick-v6-89.jpg

good engine, not the best sounding.

Last edited:
New Exhaust and rear end of Sauber:
F7kWh.jpg

nope. I've heard single turbine race V6s, they're kinda boring. As I said in the engine thread, we should mandate V16s of 1.5L for the field.

They'll most likely sound like this one did:

*Buick/Menard V6*

good engine, not the best sounding.

It depends on how they twist the exhaust around. Apparently the new F1 engines will have the turbo "buried" somewhere in front of the engine, probably somewhere around where it mounts to the tub.

So the driver will have a nice seat warmer?

Not sure I'd want something that can get so hot it'll start to go translucent and thats spinning well over 100k rpm a few inches from by backside. Id wanna make damn sure that its not going make be boil during the race and if it goes pop, the compressor/turbine wheels aren't going to end up a dark hole.

If it goes pop, there's always an engine cutoff switch in the cockpit... At least it'd stop new exhaust gasses coming out and burning you, I guess. Surely the firewall has to be designed with this in mind. I mean if they are forcing design elements to maybe reduce the danger in a situation that might happen like T boning another car...

So the driver will have a nice seat warmer?

Not sure I'd want something that can get so hot it'll start to go translucent and thats spinning well over 100k rpm a few inches from by backside. Id wanna make damn sure that its not going make be boil during the race and if it goes pop, the compressor/turbine wheels aren't going to end up a dark hole.

Well it's isolated by the fuel cell, which is thermally insulated as well to prevent fuel vaporization, and it's built to standards to be nigh-on indestructible.

hotturbo.jpg

Hot.

Q. Should my turbo/exhaust manifold glow red after driving?
A. Yes, the turbo/exhaust manifold can glow red under certain driving conditions. The exhaust gas temperature can reach over 1600F (871.1?C) under high load operating conditions; i.e. towing, extended uphill driving, or extended high rpm/boost conditions

Sauce

Last edited:
It does amaze me that the turbine wheels dont just spread themselves around the inside of the volute at those temperatures.... suppose they are made from titanium or some similar high temperature metal alloy (or even ceramic coated).

Well not to mention F1 engines already glow red hot under normal racing conditions, the turbos must be seen from space...

A velocity vector?
A velocity vector?
That bulgy thing to the left of the bottom arrow?
Prime Tires on :razz:

Or...

Exhaust blown brake ducts. Or even a melting floor. Choices...

Wing profile (downforce-generating) on the rear wishbone?

Nope you're all quite wrong.

None of the F1 commentards seem to have picked up on this, but the Red Bull has no lower wishbone. They've simply thrown away the two large structural members directly in front of the diffuser.

It has a lower erm...strut? Is that the word? I did see that, but I figured the other part of the wishbone was hidden by the top wishbone/brake duct piece. Also the pullrod is located in front of the strut which seems unconventional.

Ohhhh.. the picture was too dark for me to see.. But that is unconventional!

Nope you're all quite wrong.

None of the F1 commentards seem to have picked up on this, but the Red Bull has no lower wishbone. They've simply thrown away the two large structural members directly in front of the diffuser.

I read it somewhere, can't remember which site... Is this a significant change?

It has a lower erm...strut? Is that the word? I did see that, but I figured the other part of the wishbone was hidden by the top wishbone/brake duct piece. Also the pullrod is located in front of the strut which seems unconventional.
IIRC it's a control rod. Both that and the pull rod are going to have some unpleasant forces to deal with so they'd better have got the design right.

Is this a significant change?
That depends, less blockage in front of the diffuser can only be a good thing, the real question is how much better it is that the other cars. The real killer is that other teams can't replicated it without redesigning the entire rear of the car. It's theirs for the season unless someone can come up with a Spec B car.

It's got the potential to be the Next Big Thing? if it works, but equally may make no difference.