2012 FIA WEC/ALMS/ELMS/BES Thread

That was heartbreaking to watch. :(

The #4 Audi stopped somewhere on the track, looks as if it ran out of fuel and the reserve fuel tank could only be activated manually by the driver. It was due for a pitstop though so he came in directly on that lap.

The #38 Jota Zytek crashed in the Porsche curves with the rear left ahead into the concrete barrier. He limped the car back into the pits, the rear left suspension is shot so they have to change that and some bodywork.

Additionally, the #26 Signatech Nissan had a blown rear right tire in the Indianapolis curve. Rusinov managed to drive the car back to the pits so the tire could get changed.

[edit]
The #4 Audi is once again going slow, this time at the Mulsanne Straight...
[/edit]

Last edited:
aren't it the e-trons that understeered? that's the 2nd time an ultra crashes due to plain understeer!

EDIT: there you go :lol:

Last edited:
tbh...

i hope another audi crashes, and rebellion get's the third podium...
audi won't have proven anything with a 1-2-3 in this race, but a podium for rebellion would be so nice for them!

Hopefully Toyota comes back even stronger next year, to give Audi a run for their money.

Indeed, the next few years sound very interesting, with some of the manufacturers that has been namedropped so far as making a return.

Loved the race. LMP1 was very exciting in the early hours, once again a shocking moment with that horrific Davidson crash. GT-Pro eventually wasn't as exciting as it may have been, but what an accomplishment of the #51 team to win it after such a crash in practise. GT-AM was exciting to the flag. Once again great commentary on RLM, loved it. Looking forward to next year!

A very dramatic race all-round (quite often for the wrong reasons). Yet another LMP1 race ended with an enormous accident caused by a Ferrari not really paying attention!

In case anybody doesn't know, the latest on Ant Davidson is that he has broken his 11th and 12th vertebrae. He also tweeted this:

http://desmond.imageshack.**/Himg137/scaled.php?server=137&filename=screenshot20120617at161.png&res=landing

Anyway. The race was Audi's to win but how hard did they want to make it for themselves?! :lol:
Quite a lot of good battles up and down the field, the Eurosport director just didn't really want to show them. I felt bad for the Deltawing (wasn't his Motoyama's fault, and he tried so hard to get it going again) and the Matmut Porsche right at the end.

2014 LMP1 technical regulations have been announced

6 BASIC POINTS TO REMEMBER

? New technology will be granted freedom with regard to powertrain (that is engine and hybrid system) in accordance with the development of road vehicles.

? The engines are free. The limitations of cylinders, restrictors and turbo pressures are removed.

? Significant reduction - up to 30% - of the use of fossil fuels used.

? The hybrid systems are free as long as they can be measured but are limited to two per car. The private teams are protected.

? Cars must be closed to improve safety.

? Weight and width are reduced.

http://www.lemans.org/en/races/24h/update/new-lmp1-technical-regulations-for-2014-unveiled_7618.html

i like!

Open engine regs == good for actual innovation.

I do want to know what a diesel rotary would sound like...

how much compression can a rotary handle? diesel requires a higher compressionratio than petrol. i don't think the apex seals would like diesel that much

Don't get your hopes that high up, only four-stroke piston engines are allowed though (from my understanding). Those are allowed to have free configuration, number of cylinders, capacity etc. Even Mazda has abandoned the rotary, their new LMP racing programme is built around the Skyactiv-D 4-cyl diesel engine.