Someone Else's Problem: 2012 Fiat 500 - The Mexican Wart - Not My Problem!

loose_unit

DONOR
Car(s)
Model Y, VW Bora Wagon, NA MX-5, Zastava
Yeah, from what I can tell it will need light sanding. I'm really worried about fucking up the clear coat.
You should be able to take it to a professional and they can probably solve that just with polishing and buffing

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
The pros will at least be able to check the thickness paint and tell you if it's possible, the importance of checking before diving in is one of the things I picked up from the AMMO NYC videos.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
You guys realize thats where I went and got that quote from?
I hadn't read back that far, that price seems crazy for sanding and polishing.

Is there anything to lose by trying it yourself if you can get a replacement panel? It's clearly possible if they quoted to do it. You could do it all by hand with wet 800 grit, maybe a finer grit and then compound/polish, just take it slow.

GRtak

Forum Addict
You guys realize thats where I went and got that quote from?

You said you went to a detailer, why not get another estimate from a paint shop?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
2006 Mercedes E200 Kombi
You said you went to a detailer, why not get another estimate from a paint shop?
I can try that, there is one within walking distance I can try however, I didn’t have good luck when they fixed something on my mustang despite having some awards or “preferred body shop” from insurance companies.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
2006 Mercedes E200 Kombi
I hadn't read back that far, that price seems crazy for sanding and polishing.

Is there anything to lose by trying it yourself if you can get a replacement panel? It's clearly possible if they quoted to do it. You could do it all by hand with wet 800 grit, maybe a finer grit and then compound/polish, just take it slow.

Yeah, but I usually have a habit of just making things worse when I’ve tried in the past.

GRtak

Forum Addict
I can try that, there is one within walking distance I can try however, I didn’t have good luck when they fixed something on my mustang despite having some awards or “preferred body shop” from insurance companies.

There are other paint shops.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2021 Mini Cooper S
How much would it be to vinyl wrap it? Might be kind of fun option to go contrasting color.

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
Flat black to give it sporting credentials it most assuredly doesn't have.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
2006 Mercedes E200 Kombi
How much would it be to vinyl wrap it? Might be kind of fun option to go contrasting color.
Oh, if I actually liked the car, I'd wrap it in a purple or some bright color that's not "my wart is turning colors, doctor, help."

But I don't, I want to make the hood look good enough to sell the car.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2021 Mini Cooper S
Oh, if I actually liked the car, I'd wrap it in a purple or some bright color that's not "my wart is turning colors, doctor, help."

But I don't, I want to make the hood look good enough to sell the car.
That makes total sense. I say, in that case, give it a go with polishing on your own if you can or, if the clear is too thin and you're worried about burning through it, get that replacement you found. Then you can flip it with a clear mind.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
2006 Mercedes E200 Kombi
I wonder if I found The Thing. Water from I presume a blocked drain will cause a tiny amount of water to drip on my right foot under spirited right turns. It happened twice on the usual roads I go but nothing major. Since this thing is garaged, it doesn't matter to me.

EDIT

Drain tube was clear, I assume exuberant driving was the cause as it wasn't much to be honest.

Last edited: