Ownership Verified: 2012 Fiat 500 - The Mexican Wart

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Got it back, checked tire age on the new ones, 22nd week of 2020. SO much more quiet too. Since replacing the tie-rod, the whole car feels way more solid. :D

Last edited:

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
God damn, it's KUMHO :D Kuhmo is a small town in Finland.
Does the town have issues with cracking? Obviously I was too lazy to check the name.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
Checked air filter -seems reasonable to leave it for now. It’s not filled with crap or have dark pleats. I tried to pull away what I could of the timing belt cover, from what I could see, there were not all cracks or super worn “I can see the pulley teeth under the belt mark.” They’re there, but not super present. So, I think we’re ok, for now on a few weeks I have an oil change done and that’s when I’ll ask the shop to retrieve the 8mm wrench that fell. Butterfingers over here dropped it loosening the air filter cover and can’t see it to retrieve it.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
IT EATS CD’S!

I bought some new music and yes, I still buy CD’s. I was having trouble with iTunes over the weekend syncing music, I thought I would use the CD player in the car. This was fine for about 2 songs. After that it spazzed out, switched over the usb and played music from my phone, then back, then nothing. So I thought I would eject the disk. I got a “No CD” showing on the screen. Great... Thankfully when I got to my destination turning the car off and back on meant I could eject the disc.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
NOMNOMNOMNOMONOM

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
Bus, Train, Bicycle, A 3 Pot Polo.
Got it back, checked tire age on the new ones, 22nd week of 2020. SO much more quiet too. Since replacing the tie-rod, the whole car feels way more solid. :D

"way more solid" in a Fiat 500...........that says a lot of HOW bad it was before. :D

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
"way more solid" in a Fiat 500...........that says a lot of HOW bad it was before. :D
I had thought it was a sway bar bushing or something. I also notice that after an alignment any car feels a little more solid.

Mitchi

Sierras für alle!
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 C4
Approving of this purchase!

Wondering if the engine that you have in yours, Chris, is pretty much the best engine for this car. Abarth aside, the 2-cylinder-engine drinks too much fuel when under load, and the 1.2 is a 1.2. It's actually fine in the Panda, should be fine here, too, but the n/a 1.4 with 100 hp sounds perfect and might actually drink less than the 69 hp 1.2 because you don't need to rev it that much. Sadly, the 1.4 n/a hasn't been available here for years now. Also, I think they did have a 6-speed in Europe, surprised to see yours is a 5-speed?!

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.

Wondering if the engine that you have in yours, Chris, is pretty much the best engine for this car. Abarth aside, the 2-cylinder-engine drinks too much fuel when under load, and the 1.2 is a 1.2. It's actually fine in the Panda, should be fine here, too, but the n/a 1.4 with 100 hp sounds perfect and might actually drink less than the 69 hp 1.2 because you don't need to rev it that much. Sadly, the 1.4 n/a hasn't been available here for years now. Also, I think they did have a 6-speed in Europe, surprised to see yours is a 5-speed?!
I thought only the Abarth had a 6-speed...nevertheless, the US Abarth has a 5-speed because the 6-speed doesn't fit the US front crash structure/ bumpers or something? I remember reading something about that...

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
I thought only the Abarth had a 6-speed...nevertheless, the US Abarth has a 5-speed because the 6-speed doesn't fit the US front crash structure/ bumpers or something? I remember reading something about that...
Would you have a link to that story? I'd be curious to read about it. This thing really needs a 6th gear for highway use. It's fine up to about 115km/h before you hear the engine and you're nearing 3,000rpm... My guess is maybe they did it because of either a supposed lack of power in the n/a engine or a marketing decision to separate the Abarth and normal models. For manufacturing, I would think using the same trans would make sense, but if it's all put together and dropped in, I guess it doesn't matter.

Well, it gets nearly the same mileage as the '18 Golf GTI which of course is heavier, bigger engine, and turbo'd. It certainly is not being driven kindly and rev'd like it owes me money.

Last edited:

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
Soul! Passion! WHAT THE HELL HAS GONE WRONG NOW!?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
Soul! Passion! WHAT THE HELL HAS GONE WRONG NOW!?
EVAP! As I suspected. I was getting “check gas cap” messages on the display at start up. I knew that was one, but wanted to verify if that’s all it was.

89087BA0-8573-4E22-BC58-50463A31AC42.jpeg

397F464F-A711-4D5C-8A37-D28122A1BB99.jpeg
77E34592-08AC-4BE9-8906-FE894EC595D7.jpeg

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
USDM cars are so much fussier than European spec ones when it comes to this.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
Car(s)
USDM cars are so much fussier than European spec ones when it comes to this.

Tighter thresholds because we don't have a nationalized emissions check is my guess at that reason. My state (and only certain counties) will have you do a 1 every 2 year check by plugging in a code scanner. They got rid of actual combustion test equipment years ago.

Either way, because I don't want to bring it to a shop, I'm going the shadetree mechanic route by throwing parts at it. There's 3 items that can cause it and the fuel cap was already replaced at some point. There's a nugget of a thing mounted to the charcoal canister thats in the back of the car you can reach by crawling under the back. It's as simple as undoing a rubber hose, push and twisting the part off and putting a new one on. As this thing is mounted underneath facing the ground, I would like to think it's that. The other culprit is a hose and valve assembly and it goes across the back of the engine near the firewall. the part on the charcoal canister was $38 on The Internet while the hose and valve stuff for some weird reason is $120 or so. It's about as long as my foot with a check valve in it, how pricey is that to make?

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2012 Kia Forte EX
If anyone's curious about the re-engineering/differences between the US market 500 and the one the rest of the world gets/got:

Changes for the United States include:

Redesigned body structure for increased strength
Retuned suspension
Over 20 hardware modifications/additions for improved noise, vibration and harshness (NVH)
New four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system (ABS) with redesigned front calipers
Larger 10.5-gallon fuel tank
New gearing for the five speed manual transmission and a new six speed automatic
Use of a MAP sensor instead of a mass airflow sensor
Upgraded heating and cooling system for North American climate extremes
Redesigned driver and front-passenger seats with a new armrest and seat cushion
Easy-entry system designed into the new front seats
New steering wheel controls and revised steering calibration to increase stability at highway speed (against crosswinds)
Revised stability control with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), anti-lock brake system (ABS) and traction control systems (TCS) to control all four wheels in response to yaw and steering input; this system attempts to understand and carry out the driver's intent.
New BOSE® Energy Efficient Series premium audio system features six premium speakers and a subwoofer

Apparently some of the changes by the Chrysler side of things were so good, they were backported to the ROW model.