Unveiled: 2012 FIAT 500L Official pictures released!

How much does this Italian clown car cost?
From my own personal experience:
Fiat makes absolutely dreadful cars.
I think it is the only auto maker that produces cars without any kind of quality control whatsoever.
They look nice, specially the Grande Punto, looks really nice, but behind that tasty cream is a cake made of... anything that can possibly fail.
Gearbox, interior, rust WILL gather after 3years of ownership, gearbox again, window washer tank that's hidden from view so you can't see when it's full, and there's no meter inside or in the engine bay. It's full when it floods over. The fuse box is right to the tank too, so t WILL get wet when you put washer fluid in. The paint WILL chip and fall, parts are more expensive than you think since they WILL break once a year...

I have personal experience with Fiats, i do not recommend them.
Not to anyone not even my worse enemy. When it looks like that, maybe then to my worst enemy, so that I can see him coming and then point and laugh... it just looks ridiculous, look at that side profile.
Looks like it's hunching down to take a crap and the wheels look like they came off a skateboard. ^_^

Last edited:
How much does this Italian clown car cost?
I think it is the only auto maker that produces cars without any kind of quality control whatsoever.
They look nice, specially the Grande Punto, looks really nice, but behind that tasty cream is a cake made of... anything that can possibly fail.
Gearbox, interior, rust WILL gather after 3years of ownership, gearbox again, window washer tank that's hidden from view so you can't see when it's full, and there's no meter inside or in the engine bay. It's full when it floods over. The fuse box is right to the tank too, so t WILL get wet when you put washer fluid in. The paint WILL chip and fall, parts are more expensive than you think since they WILL break once a year...

Not to anyone not even my worse enemy. When it looks like that, maybe then to my worst enemy, so that I can see him coming and then point and laugh... it just looks ridiculous, look at that side profile.
Looks like it's hunching down to take a crap and the wheels look like they came off a skateboard. ^_^

I've heard horror stories from almost every car maker, but I haven't experienced any of the problems you've mentioned after 3,5 years of ownership. Also, I've filled the washer fluid bottle a couple of times now without giving it any real thought. It has been in the garage exactly once in its lifetime, to reset the Windows based Blue&Me system (2 minute job).

These 500L and XL's are just plain ridiculous, they should shoot the man who approved those in the leg and force him to drive an automatic 500XL for the rest of his life.

These 500L and XL's are just plain ridiculous, they should shoot the man who approved those in the leg and force him to drive an automatic 500XL for the rest of his life.

He should also not be allowed to drive with a bag over his head masking his identity to family and friends.

Feel the eyestare sucker....

He should also not be allowed to drive with a bag over his head masking his identity to family and friends.

Feel the eyestare sucker....

Well, well, well, the biggest defender of the 500L here has finally realized what an embarrassing piece of crap it is to be seen in. Still want one in fake-tan bronze, Rick? And what color would your bag be?

The Fiat of today sure, the Fiat of pre-Jelly? No.

Gearbox, interior, rust WILL gather after 3years of ownership, gearbox again, window washer tank that's hidden from view so you can't see when it's full, and there's no meter inside or in the engine bay. It's full when it floods over. The fuse box is right to the tank too, so t WILL get wet when you put washer fluid in.

The Grande Punto was the saviour of Fiat, the Mk2 Punto was one of the worst cars, I ever had the misfortune of being in. The GP, is lightyears ahead of that POS. In the 5 and half years they had the GP ( 6 months of that I had 'use of') The only thing that failed was the drivers door lock. Which was under warranty.

Gearbox: The automagic gearbox stalled itself twice in those 5 and a bit years. Start it back up and it was off.
Interior: Nothing fell off or exploded.
No rust whatsoever.
The washer bottle is a terrible design, but caused no issues.

Not to anyone not even my worse enemy.

I now have personal experience with Fiats, it's 19 years old this month. Everything still works, I don't get into it and the door falls off, or it wants to be a 3 cylinder for the day. The only thing wrong with it, is the vinyl roof, which is knackered due to wear and tear and the bodywork 'character', due to a having a hard life.... ok, there is a colossal oil leak. :p

The only thing Fiat fucked up on, was the doors, which for some reason dissolve.

When it looks like that, maybe then to my worst enemy, so that I can see him coming and then point and laugh... it just looks ridiculous, look at that side profile.

:lol:

Well, well, well, the biggest defender of the 500L here has finally realized what an embarrassing piece of crap it is to be seen in. Still want one in fake-tan bronze, Rick? And what color would your bag be?

Negative. I have said that the 500L was a bad idea on multiple occasions:

http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?p=1855453

Having a lineup consisting only of themed models is bad when you're not Mini, who's design manages to work well when stretched out in all directions. The Countryman might be awkward at first because you compare it to a standard Mini, but it grows on you and after seeing it a few times the design totally makes sense.

Kinda reminds me of how the last 5 series was seen as a bit of a ugly one when it came out but now? Looks really damn good and blends right in with other designs.

I've constantly said that if Fiat wants to be taken seriously in the US, they should expand the audience by selling traditional models here too. Stuff like Punto and of course Panda would appeal to the mainstream far more than a kitchy 500L.

Need a 7 seater in the lineup, bring over the Doblo. Problem solved. Not to mention that it's actually sized well enough to have a 3rd row sutable for humans: the 500L, at least the stuff seens so far, looks too tiny for a usable third row.

Now the 2 door 500...that's the one I approve of. It's still selling far better than Mini was in the same period when it was relaunched here, and finally sales numbers are growing seemingly every month. Finally, it's got an asthetic that only works as a two door...and nothing more.

Last edited:

Yeah...that's why the Panda and the 500 are leaders in their class for reliability according to ADAC. Them Germans sure love to make shit up. The Punto also beat the Golf...

Also... You high? ANYTHING will rust in your part of the world.

3 Fiats in the past 7 years owned by our family, not one had any mentionable rust. And we have salt a plenty during winters. Unless crashed and idiotically repaired, they won't rust.

Yeah...that's why the Panda and the 500 are leaders in their class for reliability according to ADAC. Them Germans sure love to make shit up. The Punto also beat the Golf...

Also... You high? ANYTHING will rust in your part of the world.

3 Fiats in the past 7 years owned by our family, not one had any mentionable rust. And we have salt a plenty during winters. Unless crashed and idiotically repaired, they won't rust.

The 500 launch has seemingly gone well from a product reliability/fit and finish standpoint. And the Dart, although still ramping up admittedly, doesnt seem to have many if any issues.

Even though both projects had ample Chrysler input, I think the success of the launches shows that Fiat can screw together a decent quality car. We'll see how things fair later down the road with these early cars I guess. It'll be interesting for sure.

Last edited:
And the Dart, although still ramping up admittedly, doesnt seem to have many if any issues.

That's because, when they care, my boys at Belvidere do things right. Give them a reason to give a shit, and they shine. Don't give them a reason to give a shit, and you get the Caliber and Compass.

I never thought I will find the 90's Fiat Multipla more sexy than another car...

The brochure is on the Italian website. I pissed myself.

http://img820.imageshack.**/img820/4512/hjhjm.jpg

*To scale.

Brochure

^ Wow that is large :D