2012 Formula 1 Gran Premio de Espa?a Santander

jsausley

Car(s)
'16 Audi S5, '14 CC R-Line, '12 Ariel Atom 3
2012 Formula 1 Gran Premio de Espa?a Santander

... or the Spanish Grand Prix.

This three week break has been a long one! We're now less than 7 days away from the start of the action at the Spanish GP and even closer to practice and qualifying. Mugello testing is done and this is the beginning of the European season, so now we're breathing down on the classic tracks and locations. Most teams have made improvements to their cars, some hoping it will allow them to break down the gap that remains in the field. Other teams have made adjustments hoping to keep them ahead. The field is spread out. Four drivers from four different teams in four races have taken home trophies. It's an exciting year in Formula 1 and it's REALLY anyone's game right now. Whatever happens in Spain could give us a preview for the rest of the season. It's a can't miss race this (okay.. next) weekend!

Catalunya / Barcelona
Race Date: 13 May 2012
Circuit Name: Circuit de Catalunya
Number of Laps: 66
Number of times held: 53
Circuit Length: 4.655 km
Race Distance: 307.104 km
Lap Record: 1:21.670 - K Raikk?nen (2008)

Race Local Times:

Fri 11 May 2012
Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30

Sat 12 May 2012
Practice 3 11:00 - 12:00
Qualifying 14:00

Sun 13 May 2012
Race 14:00

Driver's Championship Standings:

1 Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing-Renault 53
2 Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes 49
3 Mark Webber - Red Bull Racing-Renault 48
4 Jenson Button - McLaren-Mercedes 43
5 Fernando Alonso - Ferrari 43
6 Nico Rosberg - Mercedes 35
7 Kimi R?ikk?nen - Lotus-Renault 34
8 Romain Grosjean - Lotus-Renault 23
9 Sergio Perez - Sauber-Ferrari 22
10 Paul di Resta - Force India-Mercedes 15

Constructor's Championship Standings:

1 Red Bull Racing-Renault 101
2 McLaren-Mercedes 92
3 Lotus-Renault 57
4 Ferrari 45
5 Mercedes 37

Track Layout:

circuit-de-catalunya.png

Jenson Button's 2009 Pole Position Lap (Brawn GP):

Last Time (2011):

Pole position: Mark Webber - Red Bull-Renault - 1:20.981
Fastest lap: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes - 1:26.727 (lap 52)

Podium:
First: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault
Second: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes
Third: Jenson Button - McLaren-Mercedes

Weather Report:

Barcelona, Spain (click next weekend prior to Monday)

Questions for consideration:

1. Pole / podium predictions?
2. With Mugello testing over, which teams will come out in the first race of the European season with significant improvements to their platforms?
3. Right now we're sitting with 4 different winners for 4 different teams. If another team can win this race, we will tie the all-time record of 5 different winners in the first 5 races. Who is most likely to be that winner?
4. Speaking of ... Lotus-Renault had a fantastic result in Bahrain with Raikk?nen in second and Grosjean in third. How will they do here? Raikk?nen does hold the lap record here!
5. We can all agree this season has been extremely exciting, even if our team hasn't fared well so far. We're approaching the fifth race with Mugello testing behind us. Do you think the field will tighten up now or can we expect this crazy season to continue as it has gone so far?
6. Predict this round's unexpected event!

Last edited:
Ham-Ham,Vet,Rai

2. With Mugello testing over, which teams will come out in the first race of the European season with significant improvements to their platforms?
Ferrari?

3. Right now we're sitting with 4 different winners for 4 different teams. If another team can win this race, we will tie the all-time record of 5 different winners in the first 5 races. Who is most likely to be that winner?
Raikkonnen

4. Speaking of ... Lotus-Renault had a fantastic result in Bahrain with Raikk?nen in second and Grosjean in third. How will they do here? Raikk?nen does hold the lap record here!
3rd maybe 2nd I'd love to see him win.

5. We can all agree this season has been extremely exciting, even if our team hasn't fared well so far. We're approaching the fifth race with Mugello testing behind us. Do you think the field will tighten up now or can we expect this crazy season to continue as it has gone so far?
As the teams understand the tyres more I think it will be easier for teams to convert genuine pace into race but I do believe it's very very tight and we're going to see great racing all season!

Kimi will take a phone call during the race.

PP ? Webber
Vettel, Alonso, Webber

'rrari

Raikkonen would be cool... but the coolest would be Senna. I know, it's damn near impossible, but still.

They'll score points with both cars

Crazy yo

Button will spin around in the first corner and collect 4 guys. o_O

Schumacher pole, Hamilton-Schumacher-Vettel podium.

Ferrari has the most to improve. Well actually HRT does but Ferrari has the resources to actually do it.

Lotus.

Eh. It's so close with everyone I threw Raikkonen down in 8th, but with fastest lap!

Hard to say. I don't think there will be too much change, FP2 looked like a lot of pretty close times- the top 10 all within 1 second.

Hailstorm?

1) Pole Vettel. Podium... Kimi, Vettel, Button
2) Ferrari
3) Renault
4) Kimi ftw!
5) Nothing much will be changed
6) Massa pulls a surprise win.

Looking forward to this one...
Vettel is gonna lose big time. He will be overwhelmed with emotions that Alonso with the not so good Ferrari outclasses him and will get pole. Then he crashes into Rosberg in the first corner because his face is riddled with tears and they are both out.

Further in the race, Alonso is gonna get a bad pitstop, which will allow Schumi to overtake him and win the race. Alonso get's second and Ricciardo is having the weekend of his life and will get third.

This is how it's gonna happen, mark my words.

*now wakes up and thinks: I had an awesome dream*

I'm almost convinced RBR will come out of this break with the best car. I hope I'm wrong but it just seems they are the best and quickest developers of cars.

My predictions partly came true... At least it's not Vettel from Pole. Starts next to Rosberg....Mark my words!

Yay Alonso :D I do hope he gets a good start and the car obeys him just a bit more than in recent races...a nice podium just might be possible

Looking forward to this one...
Vettel is gonna lose big time. He will be overwhelmed with emotions that Alonso with the not so good Ferrari outclasses him and will get pole. Then he crashes into Rosberg in the first corner because his face is riddled with tears and they are both out.

Further in the race, Alonso is gonna get a bad pitstop, which will allow Schumi to overtake him and win the race. Alonso get's second and Ricciardo is having the weekend of his life and will get third.

This is how it's gonna happen, mark my words.

*now wakes up and thinks: I had an awesome dream*

You should stay away from the strong stuff :lol:

Hamilton and Maldonado into turn one has potential to be a disaster! I sincerely hope both drivers use their heads, would love to see Maldonado score some solid points for Williams.

You should stay away from the strong stuff :lol:

This was done sober... You should hear the dribble when I've been drinking.

It is all still possible, except I hoped Schumi would be further up, same as Ricciardo. As Red_Bull writes, the turn one disaster would make this all happen.

I should go and bet.... But I'm not the kind of guy who does that stuff.