2012 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

jsausley

Car(s)
'16 Audi S5, '14 CC R-Line, '12 Ariel Atom 3
Yep, I started it.

So... Bahrain is here... or so we think.

2012 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

(race local times)

Fri 20 April 2012
Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30

Sat 21 April 2012
Practice 3 11:00 - 12:00
Qualifying 14:00

Sun 22 April 2012
Race 15:00

800px-Bahrain_International_Circuit--Grand_Prix_Layout.svg.png

Michael Schumacher's 2006 Pole Position Lap:

[video=youtube;G--20SmRB10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G--20SmRB10[/video]

Last time (2010):

Pole: Sebastian Vettel - 1:54.101
Podium: 1. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 2. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) 3. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
Fastest Lap: Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)

Weather report:

Sahkir, Bahrain

Questions for consideration:

1. Pole / Podium predictions?
2. Will Mercedes GP be able to pull out another win (or even a podium finish)?
3. Schumacher is 2/3 on DNFs... how will he fare here? His pace has looked promising but can he take his first podium since coming back to F1?
4. How will Red Bull do? Will they take their first race win of 2012? They are the only major player who so far hasn't secured a win.
5. In 2010, Ferrari had a 1-2 finish... how will they do here? Will they improve on their slow pace so far? What is the best position we can expect from "the Scuderia?" ;)
6. Make a prediction about this round's big surprise. Maybe a stunning pole lap or fantastic finish by an unexpected driver.

Last edited:
Schui / Lewis Hamilton, Jensen Button and Schui

Oh yes - pushing for the win

3. Schumacher is 2/3 on DNFs... how will he fare here? His pace has looked promising but can he take his first podium since coming back to F1?
Yes - he will get his act together especially after China with his Team mate doing so well.

4. How will Red Bull do? Will they take their first race win of 2012? They are the only major player who so far hasn't secured a win.
No something has messed with Vettel's head somewhere.

5. In 2010, Ferrari had a 1-2 finish... how will they do here? Will they improve on their slow pace so far? What is the best position we can expect from "the Scuderia?" :wink:
Er no. Alonso may get 3rd or 4th but that is just because he is such a great driver but the car sucks at the moment.

6. Make a prediction about this round's big surprise. Maybe a stunning pole lap or fantastic finish by an unexpected driver.
Lotus make a strong showing 4th - 8th.

Rosberg/ Ham, Rai, But.

Maybe but the desert is hot and Merc's no likey hot.

Yes it's possible, but I can see Merc's tyre issues resurfacing here.

No I reckon they're still gunna be around 3-5.

5. In 2010, Ferrari had a 1-2 finish... how will they do here? Will they improve on their slow pace so far? What is the best position we can expect from "the Scuderia?"
No, but I can see Alonso gritting his teeth and dragging to around 5.

Maldonado 7th..?

Last edited:
I don't think Merc will have that great race pace in Bahrain. Track temperatures will be too hot - their car seems to prefer colder temperatures. Can't help but think we'll see another McLaren win.

Pole: Why not another for Hamilton? Podium: Button, Raikkonen, Schumacher

They CAN win. Will they? Ehhhh. I gave Schumi third.

He will get third place.

We'll say between 4th and 8th for the pair of them. Not a win here.

5. In 2010, Ferrari had a 1-2 finish... how will they do here? Will they improve on their slow pace so far? What is the best position we can expect from "the Scuderia?" ;)

I'm calling it: Massa's first point of the year! Notice I don't say points, just point. Alonso can get up near the podium if all goes well but I have him more around 7th.

MASSA GETS A POINT!!!!

There are lots of straights... Three 280-300 km/h straights... I'm not sure where the planned DRS zone is (I assume it's just one zone and will be on the main straight) but hopefully there will be some good overtaking on the ends of that zone, but otherwise it does seem a pretty boring layout. Not a lot of good overtaking corners. The 1-2-3 section looks good and as does 11-12-13. It's hard to say, but China last week was an amazing race and I really hate that track layout so... who knows!

Questions for consideration:

1. McLaren, I hope it's Jenson. Podium : Schumacher, Jenson, Kimi
2. Maybe, possible.
3. Podium is just around the corner for Schumi, I reckon he will at least get a podium finish this year.
4. Mediocre. No race win.
5. Terrible. Nothing top 5.
6. No real surprises.

Pole? I'm going with Hamilton on this one. He's just been so solid in qualifying this year.

Podium? I'll go with 1. Button (because he's the better driver of the two McLarens), 2. Webber, 3. Schumacher

No win this time, but as you can tell from my podium predictions, not far off. I think both cars will place in the points this race.

See my earlier answer.

Again, see my podium predictions. I see Webber getting on, and Vettel somewhere 4th-6th.

As per my answer last week re: the Chinese Grand Prix, Ferrari will have a terrible showing unless the racing gods reward them with a) horrible weather, b) accidents elsewhere in the field, AND c) some other happenstance of fortune. Massa's terrible, but Alonso's talents will be enough to get him in the points (say, 7th), possibly much better, if the stars align as I outlined.

Prediction: Grosjean shunts into another driver during the race, taking them both out (like he damn nearly did multiple times in Shanghai)

Last edited:
I don't get why they're hosting it, apart from the large amount of Bahraini investment in F1 I guess.

But it basically shows that the FIA Statute is completely pointless since they're holding the race as a unification thing, with "UNIF1CATION" slogan, in cooperation with the gov't. Doesn't this contravene article 1 or whatever which says Motorsport mustn't get involved in any country's politics? They fined Turkey several years ago because a Cypriot Turk leader awarded the trophies, and Cyprus is a political issue. Compared to something that minor this seems completely messed up.

Additionally, in a sport where funding and sponsorship is so crucial, why would they even risk it? I don't fear for the safety of the F1 crew/drivers because security is probably good, but just the fact that riots are happening a few miles away on such a small island while F1 continues and is viewed globally casts a really negative image on the sport. I'd have thought Bernie with his experience would play it cautiously and cancel it because he wouldn't want to risk damaging the sport he helped make so popular. 19 races is the same as last year anyways.

EDIT: I take back what I said about security being good.

Last edited:
I'm not watching this.

It'll be the first GP I've missed in a long time, but the whole thing leaves a very bitter taste.

But it basically shows that the FIA Statute is completely pointless since they're holding the race as a unification thing, with "UNIF1CATION" slogan, in cooperation with the gov't. Doesn't this contravene article 1 or whatever which says Motorsport mustn't get involved in any country's politics? They fined Turkey several years ago because a Cypriot Turk leader awarded the trophies, and Cyprus is a political issue. Compared to something that minor this seems completely messed up.

+1

In interviews, Bernie Ecclestone has often defended the FIA's decision by talking about how motorsport shouldn't get involved in politics.

Mr. Ecclestone, let's imagine that you're right: that motorsport shouldn't get involved in politics.
That would be precisely the reason why we shouldn't be racing in Bahrain.

The situation the F1 circus finds itself in now is not just a case of human rights violations or safety concerns. It's now being used as a mouthpiece, a focal point for the political interest of all parties. All the personnel coming are now having to worry about things that they should never have to worry about. By coming to Bahrain, F1 has stopped being a sport and has started to represent something far more serious.

Personally, I don't necessarily buy into the idea of sport and politics existing in separate planes. Take the South Africa boycotts of the 1980s, for example. Still, I do think that sport should try to retain it's spirit.

It's just that the worst part of this is: I cannot imagine this whole episode leading to a lot of positive outcomes, short term or long term. I hope I'm wrong though. :|

Last edited:
Yes, but it's a political gesture in itself to boycott the event as they did last year. Personally I feel that should probably have been the way to go, as the lesser of two evils although I dont know anything about what ramifications boycotting the 2011 race had for F1 and Bahrain, presumably one party was out of pocket in a big way. Given that we, the general public heard very little about the riots via F1 channels after last year's race was cancelled was probably a good thing and the sport should not become a vessel for the protesters.

In terms of safety, sure the petrol bomb incident is concerning but I dont know if it's any less safe than travelling to say, Sao Paulo Brazil where F1 personnel have in the past been robbed at gunpoint.

I hope that the weekend passes safely for the teams and their people.

A McLaren. With his private life sorted out, my bet is on Hamilton.

No. The temperatures in China fit them like arse on bucket. Bahrain is expected to be a lot warmer, so their tires will probably fade away quicker than a pizza at a weight watchers convention.

With the bad luck he's been attracting this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he's being hit by a meteorite or eaten by a dinosaur...

Maybe they score a lucky punch on strategy, but other than that I can't see them winning. That car just doesn't get the job done.

5. In 2010, Ferrari had a 1-2 finish... how will they do here? Will they improve on their slow pace so far? What is the best position we can expect from "the Scuderia?"
Without rain Massa will finish outside the points, but Alonso should be good for 6th to 8th. He's absolutely flying this year despite the red failure he's forced to drive.

I think the Saubers will have a last Hoorah here. Once the other teams start bringing massive updates for the european races, they'll fall behind as they always do.

Last edited:
it's not at all about politics.

the bahraini own part of GP2-team ART, which is owned by Jean Todt his son
Jean Todt became president of the FIA thanks to great support form the bahraini, and it isn't long till the next election
and Ecclestone doesn't want to miss his 40 mil $ fee again...

and the bahraini own a big part of McLaren (who afaik haven't made a single statement about the race)
the bahraini own a big part of McLaren (they haven't made a single statement about the GP)

I reckon I can count 6 people in the main grandstand so far :p

bone said:
and the bahraini own a big part of McLaren (who afaik haven't made a single statement about the race)

They've been very quiet, obviously they cant really afford to take a stance either way.

Last edited:
(disclaimer: dont ask me about politics, security, idiot motor journalists who should be writing about f1 not country politics or any of that shit, im here to enjoy the race, not get opinions and argue about things where no one else is but me. I live here, not you. end disclaimer)

Currently listening and watching to practice, the cars are SO much quieter than 2006 when i went last, it's kind of sad, bring back the big engines! Before the safety car was louder but not by much over the cars, but now it can drown them out, i used to get shaken to the core when they went by at full tilt, i was standing near pit exit and it felt like a light wail rather than the full bore rattle like when a jet takes off next to you.

Bruno senna i herd wont be racing, since i was asked to prepare an alternate face pic for their backup driver, Valtteri Bottas, not 100% sure.