2012 Formula 1 Qantas Australian Grand Prix

Who gives a poop about the relationships of Button and Hamilton? are you guys serious? Blaming Hamilton's performance on his relationship is the most hilarious thing I've heard in the world of racing.

As I got a working penis I definitely care about Button's relationship. Have you seen the girl?

But apart from overt sexism, it should be obvious even to you that in a business where fractions of a second can make or break a race being mental fitness and being focused are as important as the setup of the car and the race strategy. So yes, blaming Hamilton's performance, or lack thereof (and before you go on another rant about fanboyism, remember that I dislike Hamilton almost as much as VET and eyebrow man), not only on his girlfriend, but on his bling entourage that's more interested in getting their faces into the celeb magazines than in racing makes lots of sense to me.

Whatever job you do; be it world class racing driver, IT technician, pilot or bin man, you'll do it better if you are in a positive frame of mind. However, if you've got problems, issues or distractions then it will always be there in the back of your mind, no matter how hard you try to focus. This was certainly the problem for Lewis last year and it seems (despite what he says) that he still isn't happy, and having his celebritard friends, high profile girlfriend and the various paparazi etc that comes with that kind of lifestyle can't help. Jenson on the other hand has a supportive father, and seemingly pretty down-to-earth (and stunning) girlfriend, a best mate as personal trainer/assistant-type-bloke and others around him. He can relax and have fun off-track, therefore allowing him to concentrate fully on-track.

Just compare 2007/8 Lewis Hamilton with 2011/12 Lewis Hamilton.

Mercedes: Shame to see Schumacher out so early. Would of been interesting to see a proper scrap with Vettel.

WOULD HAVE

Anyway, loved the race, what a kicker for the start of the season. It's gonna be very interesting to say the least. All things point towards Vettel having a little more trouble re validating his title compared to last year. Bring on the awesomeness

Just compare 2007/8 Lewis Hamilton with 2011/12 Lewis Hamilton.

I want the 2007/8 Lewis Hamilton back. The one who came into Formula one with no hang ups, no D grade celebrities, his father as a guiding hand and who's only goal was to go as fast as possible. His natural ability is undeniable but his mind management is poor to say the least. Great champions have both attributes in spades. Lewis is no great champion. He's got the ability to be one, he just needs to focus on Formula One and forget the celebrity side of things. I dont know who brings these guys like Lenny Kravitz (isn't he Ted Kravitz's brother? Am I too late with that joke? :p), Ice Cube or Rihanna or whoever whether it's Hamilton or Vodafone or what, but if I was in charge of McLaren I'd be curbing it. They're distractions that the team and Lewis doesnt need.

Look at Alonso, got beaten by the new kid on the block in 2007 and yeah he threw his toys around a bit, but he learnt from it though, I think he's a stronger driver for having that McLaren experience. His marriage broke up in 2011 but he didnt let it get to him, or if it did he didnt advertise it to the world.

The rivalry/drama between Hamilton and Button should be very interesting to watch in 2012. Both of them have been playing mind games with each other ever since Lewis got wind of Jenson's signing on to McLaren. Initially Lewis was expecting full support from the team much like what Ferrari is providing to Alonso or Mercedes is providing to Schmacher but Witmarsh wanted 50/50. In 2011 they were clearly not buddies with each other anymore and all the "we are still buddies" PR stunts became more and more cringe-worthy to watch.

Witmarsh, IMO, had been slowly leaning towards Button over the past 2 years by watching his subtle body gestures and wordings during interviews. Maybe because Button is such a better, more consistent driver overall than Hamilton last year and Witmarsh had to defend Lewis during most of the interviews, hopefully that was the case.

But maybe, and this is just a theory, the MP4-27 is being designed around Button this time around instead of Lewis for the past 5 years and Hamilton will complain about setups, tire degradation, etc issues more often than Button. We shall see.

This is sort of like Senna/Prost 2.0 but this time Lewis is seriously getting his arse handed to him atm.

Red_Bull said:
I dont know who brings these guys like Lenny Kravitz (isn't he Ted Kravitz's brother? Am I too late with that joke? ), Ice Cube or Rihanna or whoever whether it's Hamilton or Vodafone or what, but if I was in charge of McLaren I'd be curbing it. They're distractions that the team and Lewis doesnt need.

I seriously don't mind Mr. Bean in their garage during every practice/quali/race though. :grin:

On the McLaren in-team situation and the McLaren-Red bull relative pace situation... I think we should probably wait for the first European race to actually get a clearer picture of the state of affairs. Melbourne isn't exactly a normal track, to be fair. Having more races to base judgement on can help us tell the difference between a one-off and a pattern.

Look at Alonso, got beaten by the new kid on the block in 2007 and yeah he threw his toys around a bit, but he learnt from it though, I think he's a stronger driver for having that McLaren experience. His marriage broke up in 2011 but he didnt let it get to him, or if it did he didnt advertise it to the world.

That's exactly my point. Great drivers and great athletes don't let their personal lives affect their performance. Kobe Bryant for example is going through a divorce but that guy is putting up MVP numbers this season. IF I COULD +REP YOU I WOULD.

I agree and not agree at the same time. There are as many kinds of drivers as there are personalities. Senna sometimes let himself be affected by his personal life, sometimes he didn't. Sometimes his beefs with other drivers (namely Prost) fueled him... sometimes his disappointment with himself made him go into his room and not come out for hours...
Hamilton got pole and finished 3rd, a bit unlucky with the safety car. It's the first race of the season, I think it's way too soon to cry out he's out of his game

I agree and not agree at the same time. There are as many kinds of drivers as there are personalities. Senna sometimes let himself be affected by his personal life, sometimes he didn't. Sometimes his beefs with other drivers (namely Prost) fueled him... sometimes his disappointment with himself made him go into his room and not come out for hours...
Hamilton got pole and finished 3rd, a bit unlucky with the safety car. It's the first race of the season, I think it's way too soon to cry out he's out of his game

best example is gilles villeneuve i guess. if he hadn't let the issues of previous race play part, he probably still would've been alive...

also,

i love those helmet cams!!
[video=youtube;b7QB-ff8MJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7QB-ff8MJA[/video]

Last edited:
That's exactly my point. Great drivers and great athletes don't let their personal lives affect their performance. Kobe Bryant for example is going through a divorce but that guy is putting up MVP numbers this season. IF I COULD +REP YOU I WOULD.

Wait, Red_Bull disagreed with you.

I'm not sure whether or not we can say that Lewis is distracted by his lifestyle, but it is very true that he's not the same Lewis in 07/08.

I feel that as if he's trying to be a "smarter" driver in the sense that he's not as reckless anymore. Not reckless as in 2011's imafuckingdouche driving, but that kind of balls out, nothing-to-lose driving style that we loved in his debut.

A good example would be at the start of the race, when Button passed him. Once he couldn't close the 1 second gap, it feels as though he dropped back to defend P2 instead of screwing his tyres or whatever by being too close to Button.

After 2011, he really mellowed out his driving and IMO, it isn't a good thing.

Wait, Red_Bull disagreed with you.

Not the part that I had quoted where he pointed out that Alonso's performance was still there while enduring a divorce.

Saw Felipe Massa on the thursday during the autograph session and he looked miserable. Don't think he will be at Ferrari next season.

After watching the race, I have to say that the Ferrari doesn't look THAT bad. I think they can right the ship, the season isn't a total loss for them, only time will tell. You guys are such jokers. ;)

Damn, FOM grabbed it :(

Saw Felipe Massa on the thursday during the autograph session and he looked miserable. Don't think he will be at Ferrari next season.

His F1 career was pretty depressing if you have to analyze it. Losing a championship at the last corner of the last race, getting hit by a spring and staring death in the face, then playing #2 to Alonso... It would be glorious if he came back but I don't think anyone could blame him if he didn't.

After watching the race, I have to say that the Ferrari doesn't look THAT bad. I think they can right the ship, the season isn't a total loss for them, only time will tell. You guys are such jokers. ;)

I think Alonso might get a few podiums but with Massa Ferrari have no chance in hell to win the WCC.

His F1 career was pretty depressing if you have to analyze it. Losing a championship at the last corner of the last race, getting hit by a spring and staring death in the face, then playing #2 to Alonso... It would be glorious if he came back but I don't think anyone could blame him if he didn't.

but he's still an F1 driver! more than you can say from me...

I think Alonso might get a few podiums but with Massa Ferrari have no chance in hell to win the WCC.

Massa is a lost cause. It's sad really but he's not even remotely competitive anymore.